Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Another Newbe Question

I'm sure this has been asked, and I tried to find it before I asked so here goes. If possible, how does one regulate how hot your water heater gets. Also as a new owner of a new to me RV, is there a way to know what the PO has installed other then sticking a thermometer under the tap.

thanks much
Tony
Uhrlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't think there is an adjustment for water temperature, at least on a conventional hot water heater.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
My understanding is they come from the factory preset to 140 °.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm with you...I have always wondered why the water was so hot. However, I also know the tank is teeny tiny compared to the one at home. With the hotter water, you have to mix more cold into it to make it the temperature you want...which I guess means the 10 gal tank will last for two showers, instead of one!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Tony
Would help to know what make model year coach you are talking about
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
I'm with you...I have always wondered why the water was so hot. However, I also know the tank is teeny tiny compared to the one at home. With the hotter water, you have to mix more cold into it to make it the temperature you want...which I guess means the 10 gal tank will last for two showers, instead of one!

B 52 you are right. Having the temp up there so high forces the user to add more cold as you say to make the hot water go further. I ended up just starting with cold then adding hot till comfortable.

Should come with some better warnings though IMHO (one's you can't miss, even if you are not the original owner). Finding out the hard way really gets your attention, about scalded my hands off first time in bath sink. You only do it once though
Then I had to remember to warn guests about it.

W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

My water heater has temp adjustments on it. Open the cover outside. There will be a dial or lever. But mine is old I still have to go out there an light it myself.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Well, first off, we've had four coaches, two Cs and two As and, I can't recall any adjustments on any of them but, that doesn't mean there isn't any. It just means, I've not seen or, looked for any. To me, even if the hot water heater heats it a bit "too much", that doesn't mean you're caused to use more cold, it means you use LESS hot water in the mix. In the end, to me, you use the same amount of water totally.

But, as for any indication of any water temp, in any RV, I personally have never seen any RV with any water temp indicator. But, again, this is only of the ones I've been in. If there's Newells, or, other ultra-high end coaches, as in SEVEN ZEROS worth, maybe there's water temp indicators in those.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Neither Atwood or Suburban gas/electric water heaters are adjustable temperature. Suburban is set at 130 degrees and Atwood is 140 degrees. There is an after market thermostat/ECO assembly available that is adjustable in a limited range.

Some early gas only models of both were also adjustable.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #10

Another set of ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post

Tony
Would help to know what make model year coach you are talking about
2 stroker
Thank you 2stroker, its a 1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow with and auto tanny, a 454 chevy engine with 51560 miles on it and I'm the fourth owner. I dug around in the huge stack of reading material I was given after buying the couch and finnaly found the booklert for the water heater, its 6 gal and it appears to be factory set at 140 degrees. So there my answer.

I have a few more questions that maybe I can through out there, that I would like to know about.

1. My fridge is a LP/electric type, Dominic I think is the brand. Question before you leave on a trip you want to get the fridge cold, I plan to do this about 24 hr before we leave via the LP gas, while in route to the RV camp can you leave the lp gas on while you drive to keep the fridge cold?
2. Can you run the gas onan generator while you drive to power your 120 outlets and the ac roof units?
3. Same question for the water heater, can the lp gas stay on while in route to keep the water hot.

I think thats all my stupid questions
Old 03-25-2016, 01:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I don't think there is an adjustment for water temperature, at least on a conventional hot water heater.

And you are right its fixed at 140 from the factory
Old 03-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
About getting your fridge cold, to save LP wondering if you were to get a small chunk of dry ice to set in the fridge to get the coldness jump started?
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I often run the generator, while traveling. Since your refrigerator operates on electric, use the electricity to power the fridge instead of lpg.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1. My fridge is a LP/electric type, Dominic I think is the brand. Question before you leave on a trip you want to get the fridge cold, I plan to do this about 24 hr before we leave via the LP gas, while in route to the RV camp can you leave the lp gas on while you drive to keep the fridge cold?
Allow at least 24 hours, and have the foods/beverages pre-chilled if at all possible. RV absorption fridges cool slowly and don't have a lot of reserve cooling capacity. Also, it will cool faster if you put cold stuff inside - less empty space to chill down.

Yes, you can run it on LP as you drive. Or via the genset in AC or AUTO mode. Some people are uncomfortable about having the gas system on while driving and shut off the valve at the tank, but that's a personal decision and not a technical need. Neither the RVIA nor the NFPA recommend against using the fridge propane mode while underway.

Quote:
2. Can you run the gas onan generator while you drive to power your 120 outlets and the ac roof units?
YES

Quote:
3. Same question for the water heater, can the lp gas stay on while in route to keep the water hot.
Yes, but it may be more problematic. The water heater's big gas burner is more susceptible to being blown out by winds around the RV as you drive. However, it's not risky because it will shut the gas valve off if the flame goes out. Still, there is really no need. You can heat it up ahaead of time and it should stay hot for many hours. Besides, you can get hot water from scratch in 30 minutes anyway, so why worry? Turn the heater one when you arive and you will have hot water by the time you are set up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote