Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

ANOTHER, no 12 volt lights from coach battery

I have read advice on the internet and have read forums. I have searched and watched videos. I still have no 12 volt lights from my new coach deep cell battery. I have jumped the relay with a large gauge wire, and still nothing. I have an 88 holiday imperial rambler 34ft. I am so tired of trying and not getting anywhere. I have had this MH for 3 month and cant figure it out. The last owners said they worked, but I think they meant with the generator running. I might want to boondock and would like this to work. I have been concentrating on the coach battery and relay. Does the chassis battery, relay and solenoid have anything to do with this??
kellyfettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #2

There may be a fuse or breaker between the relay, your jumping, and the battery.

Most battery feed cables are required to have them, offen within a foot or two of the battery.

Follow the house battery cable and see if you can find one.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #3

So will the house battery wires go back to the inverter? With the fuses and the circuit breakers?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfettes View Post
So will the house battery wires go back to the inverter? With the fuses and the circuit breakers?
Yes, follow the house battery positive cable. There will be a fuse or breaker near the batteries.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

I called it an inverter, I think it is a transfer switch, then the circuit breakers then the fuse box. I will crawl under and start that search....
Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
I have read advice on the internet and have read forums. I have searched and watched videos. I still have no 12 volt lights from my new coach deep cell battery. I have jumped the relay with a large gauge wire, and still nothing. I have an 88 holiday imperial rambler 34ft. I am so tired of trying and not getting anywhere. I have had this MH for 3 month and cant figure it out. The last owners said they worked, but I think they meant with the generator running. I might want to boondock and would like this to work. I have been concentrating on the coach battery and relay. Does the chassis battery, relay and solenoid have anything to do with this??
I can't help you on the 88 Holiday Rambler, but two things would help...
Give the chassis info and your location.

For example, my coach is a Fleetwood Southwind built on a Chevy P30 chassis - a very common truck chassis. In my rebuild efforts I've had more help from truck mechanics than RV techs (but then again most of my problems have been chassis issues).

And your location would be useful in case a reader is geographically close to you and wants to help.
I'm in the Los Angeles area and if you were local I'd have no problems driving over and spending several hours helping you troubleshoot.
Personal example: I posted a plea for help just like you did, and didn't mention where I was... but a reader recognized my ham radio callsign. He looked me up, drove over to my place, and spent several hours on a saturday helping me get my alternator working (I still don't understand why Fleetwood put a Ford voltage regulator into a Chevy based motor home). All he said was "Pay it forward, do someone else a favor".
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Thanks. I am in Moline Illinois. It is a Chevy p30 chassis.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
I called it an inverter, I think it is a transfer switch, then the circuit breakers then the fuse box. I will crawl under and start that search....
It has nothing to do with the shore cord transfer switch or main breaker box.

I'm talking about 12 volt battery cables.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #9

So what is the line of action? I have it plugged in and everything works. I unplug it and lights and outlets dont work. So what has to happen for it to switch over to battery power? I have the Intellitc BD2 switch and it shows both batteries on. Should it do it automatically? Does it have to go through the transfer switch? I hear nothing at the transfer switch when plugged in and unplugged.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #10

While plugged in your converter is supplying 12 VDC to the DC buss which should be supplying your lights assuming thay are DC as in most RVs. When you unplug from SP there is no "switching over", your 120 VAC outlts will not work and the house batteries should continue supplying the DC buss (and lights) unless there is a disconnect between the house batteries and the DC buss such as a "Salesman switch" solenoid or a tripped DC breaker.

Does your refrigerator and furnace work when unplugged from SP? Water pump?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #11

Yes, the fridge, stove and water pump have power when unplugged from SP. I appreciate everyones help.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #12

Just used my volt meter on the dc bus by the relay and the coach battery. All the terminals read 12.46 except the one labeled converter. That one reads .646. Could that be it?? Super excited if it is...
Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_173359.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	253037
And there probably shouldn't be that black gunk on the sides of the metal strip. Melted? Someone tried to repair before??
Old 07-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #14

Super Excited. I jumped from the positive of the battery to the wire going to that rusted terminal end. I have 12V in the house!!! So I will buy a new junction terminal. Does it matter what amp? I see some are 100 and some 150. Would higher be better? And maybe one with extra terminals so I can add things on later? I have literally been struggling to make this happen for over 3 weeks.

Tags
12 volt, battery, light, lights