Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Another plug for my favorite dealer....

I just got a quote from an Authorized Spartan Service center for a complete front to back service. All filters, oil, trans, lube, chasis check, gen service....etc and parts and fluids to include airfilter and hydraulic fluid filter was about $500.00. Then 1.5 hrs for chasis/gen service, .5 hrs for chasis lube and complete chasis check and 1.0 hrs for trans service, all at $121.00 per hour. So for about a small grand....LOL

BUT, we just bought this coach in November and really don't know the full maintenance history on it. We did find out that the dealer lied about doing a full service on it........that dealer is EASTGATE RV AND MARINE in CORBIN, KY.

So I just decided to go to Spartan this time and get a stem to stern service and check so that I have a good baseline. Then from this point I will do my own service as I have done on my other coaches.

Here is one more plug for my good friends at EASTGATE RV AND MARINE in CORBIN, KY. [moderator edit]. They attempted to [moderator edit] screw me on not paying my trade off, then they left me holding a bill to get the charger/inverte rebuilt, and now I find out they didn't service anything.....but they did clean the filters real nice for that shinny new appearance.....EASTGATE, you guys rock.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mr. Chips, there is an old saying... "Buyer Beware!" Did you have a pre-purchase inspection done?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

Unfortunately no. But to be honest, I don't know if they even knew the elect issue existed and accordign to Magnum's tech unless you watched it over a period of days like I did you may not know there was even an issue. I asked them if a pre sale inspection would have found it, and in his opinion probably not. As for the lack of service, a pre inspection probably would not have found that either. Spartan is the one that started raising the questions as most filters had hand written dates on them, and they were not dates from the dealer. I looked at all the filters other than oil when I purchased and they all looked brand new.....I was wrong, they had been cleaned and the dates turned to the back. spartan is putting together a big letter for me detailing what they found. I am trying one more time to get the dealer to work with me on this, if they refuse I have letters from Magnum and Spartan and I guess I will be headed to the courtroom. I hope it don't get to that though to be honest.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the dealer provided in writing that they did the services, and your sub-sequential mechanic saved the filters, etc. that were taken out, I think you have a case to get some money back... However, even if you don't, if the dealer plans to stay in business long term, they should give you the thousand bucks (or something close) you said it cost and both of you just move on... Going to court is costly for everyone, and certainly not worth it for such a small amount. It may cost you more in dollars and time to win... but for some people, it's not only about the money... it becomes the principle.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

This has turned in to a principal issue. I took the coach to Spartan (actually still there). They are the ones that said there has been no service done and that the filters were dated. SO even if fluids were changed the filters were not, but the fluids had not been either. I took it to Spartan as we are getting ready to take a 4k mile trip and without knowing the exact history of service I wanted Spartan to give it a stem to stern so that I would have a good baseline and pieve of mind for the upcoming trip. I typically do all of my own service and will on this one after this first one, but I will have a baseline and they can do a 100% chasis check. It's worth the money for piece of mind. BUT when we started finding inconsistancies with what the dealer said and then coupled with the dealer leaving me holding the bag on a few other items they said they would fix but didn't I have just had enough. So they get a final shot to make it right.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think this qualifies as a service ( or lack of) so please do a review on RV Service Reviews so others won't make the same mistake. Here is a link to the site RV Service Reviews
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a similiar experience at a very large RV dealership. After calling them on the issues and explaining that I have a very large mouth they finally did the right thing and took care of all my complaints although it took several months to finally sort it all out. I gustimate they ended up spending $5000 in time and parts before we left on our first long trip. On that first trip numerous other issues showed up that we would have caught during the 30 warranty but did not have the coach to find them because it was in their shop and we ended up spending over $1000 in road service and repairs. When we got home I sent a demand letter for reimbursement of those expenses and they agreed to send us a check for $1000 to cover the expenses. In order to cash the check we had to sign a nondisclosure agreement as to the company name which is too bad since they finally did the right thing. It was upsetting in the beginning because they either by intent or possibly error (which I doubt by the way they arrempted to hide some of the issues prior to purchase) but in the long run it got worked out with minimal expense to us. The bottom line is you just have to talk to the right people, either at the dealership (I did finally get the right person who came through) and hope they do right or outside to government, consumer protection agencies, through the court system, or through forums such as this as you have done. Document the issues and pursue, don't let them get away with what appears to be blatant fraud.
MDPD is online now   Reply With Quote