Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #15

[QUOTE=TandW;6370384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
BTW, poison should be used as a last resort. Birds and other good animals can die after eating a "free" meal of a poisoned mouse. :(

That's why they make & sell the bait boxes that commercial outfits use.
They contain & protect the poisonous bait from pets and larger animals while allowing the small pesty critters access.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I get rid of all food in the MH, then put commercial bait stations OUTSIDE, AWAY from the MH. I also trap larger varmints (e.g., squirrels) with fresh pecans. Sometimes, they get a free ride out into the country. Sometimes, they don't.

I realize bait has the potential to cause issues if something eats a poisoned mouse, but: 1) I think most animals will smell, sense the poison and not eat it; 2) rewiring or redoing cabinets in a MH is really expensive option. I'll stop baiting if someone is willing to fund my gofundme.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #17
Bo

All good suggestions preceding and I will add some from my experience. I have experience with my motorhome, a mountain cabin and neighbors near the cabin that I have advised. First you block off/close all entry points you can find. I tried this but soon found I couldn't find them all so go to the next step. It took years before finding that use of a repellent had major benefits and a good one was very effective. The repellent I use is "Tom Cat" rodent repellent. There are other brands but this is the one that I use and like. I purchase it in a gallon container with an included power sprayer. I then spray it on every possible opening visible and hidden both inside and outside. Spray it all around the tires and up the sides of the tires. On the cabin I spray all around the perimeter. Basically spray it anywhere vermin will cross to enter you MH. Repeat the spraying once a month or more often if in a rainy area. I have found that interior areas don't need to be sprayed this often but keep it well sprayed in all exposed areas. It took a while to get rid of all vermin in my motor home and cabin because the were already there but once I did the repellent spraying they couldn't get out and I used poison and traps indoors to get rid of those that were there and once gone no more new ones. This has worked for me and my mountain cabin neighbor, hope it helps you.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I get rid of all food in the MH, then put commercial bait stations OUTSIDE, AWAY from the MH. I also trap larger varmints (e.g., squirrels) with fresh pecans. Sometimes, they get a free ride out into the country. Sometimes, they don't.

I realize bait has the potential to cause issues if something eats a poisoned mouse, but: 1) I think most animals will smell, sense the poison and not eat it; 2) rewiring or redoing cabinets in a MH is really expensive option. I'll stop baiting if someone is willing to fund my gofundme.
The bait is not poison. It is blood thinner just like they give to humans. The liver gives out after several feedings. They usually make it into their hiding places to die, so the bird, ferrets etc.. arguments don't carry much weight.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:41 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
The bait is not poison. It is blood thinner just like they give to humans. The liver gives out after several feedings. They usually make it into their hiding places to die, so the bird, ferrets etc.. arguments don't carry much weight.
I knew that, but forgot. Now I feel good. I'm just helping varmints control their health.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post

Except when I would place poison bait in the attic of my house, I would invariably find the dead rodents outside on the ground. They apparently get very thirsty as they die, and go out seeking water.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #21

What works for one situation may not work for another, Dryer sheets= bedding material. Irish Spring = snack. Glue trap = tail, but no rat. Non-poisonous bait = totally ignored. Bucket thing = never worked for me. Lights = seems to work for a little while. Moth balls = EPA violation.

I have been at this for nearly a decade. Things work for a bit, and then they don't. What has worked recently is a Victor Power Kill trap, baited with a raisin and a dab of Tomcat Attractant Gel.

No poisons here. I drop dead rats outside the fence, and they are always gone in less than 24 hours. Somebody comes by, coyote, snake, lizard, hawk, and eats them.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #22

Thank you to everyone for your insight into dealing with pests.
It might be overkill but I think I'm going to try a two or three pronged approach.
Initially, I'm going to seal as many holes as I can find with an expanding spray foam.
Then, I'm going to treat the underside with a mouse repellant spray. I will also put mouse repellant bags inside in strategic places and just to be sure I'm going to run an ultrasonic sound machine. I might also run an ozone machine once in a while too.
Once again thanks for your advice. God, I love this forum.......It's awesome.
BPD138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD138 View Post
Thank you to everyone for your insight into dealing with pests.
It might be overkill but I think I'm going to try a two or three pronged approach.
Initially, I'm going to seal as many holes as I can find with an expanding spray foam.
Then, I'm going to treat the underside with a mouse repellant spray. I will also put mouse repellant bags inside in strategic places and just to be sure I'm going to run an ultrasonic sound machine. I might also run an ozone machine once in a while too.
Once again thanks for your advice. God, I love this forum.......It's awesome.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
I’m trying the ultrasonic deterrent, seems to be working so far, I put 4 of them in my 36’ Dolphin
scombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
I once had a mouse get into an RV in storage in a machine shed. Found him drown in the pink antifreeze in the toilet bowl. Thankfully I found no damage.

I talked to a pest control guy about what to do to keep them out and he told me the most important prevention tip he could offer was to be sure there was NO FOOD left in the RV. I had mistakenly left 1 package of buns, unopened in a drawer. He told me that mice could smell a meal hundreds of feet away and that is what draws them in.

Since then I always do the Downey sheet thing and I have a couple of live traps, one inside and one in the basement storage area. I have never found any the traps, but if something gets in I want to catch it fast. When it starts getting warmer you need to check them frequently for obvious reasons.

Of course searching out and sealing up entry points is a first line of defense.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:01 PM   #26

I had good luck with have-a-heart traps - nothing big can get into the rodent sized ones. And you can decide whether to catch and release (perhaps squirrels?) and what you can dispense with. I don't think the have-a-heart people thought of their traps as a way to kill mice or rats, but with a pellet gun you would have that option.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD138 View Post
I'm at a total loss of what to do about rodent prevention. Our motorhome is stored on the mowed grass on the side of the house with the tires up on blocks. I don't have power running to it.

I don't have any rodents there now but I want to prevent them from entering. I have been reading a lot about keeping rodents out of the motorhome and understand the "usual" methods of protection. The issue I'm having is; all the reviews I read have positive and negative results. The "popular" products with lots of good reviews also have terrible reviews. I'm having a real hard time of what to do. Can anyone give me some real world reviews, opinions or suggestions on how they prevent rodent's from entering the motorhome?
I have been using a product called Mouse Free. It is sprayed on the underside of the rig. In addition we put original Bounce sheets in every drawer and cupboard and any other place we can put them. Make sure there is no food or even crumbs left anywhere. Since employing this method have never had an issue.
Hobos Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Folks,

A very clever person on the forum described an awesome solution. It is made from short sections of 2" PVC pipe. Think of the capital letter T but with a wide crossbar and a short stem. The traps I made have a tee fitting in the center with a 3" long section of pipe coming out parallel to each other to form the crossbar, fitted with a cap on each end. The perpendicular side of the tee fitting is left open. Make enough units so you can set one on the ground near each tire because that's where the critters will likely crawl into your rig, and bait each one with a block of Rat-X or TomCat.

Don't glue any of the joints, just press the fittings together. That way you can take it apart to flush out any residue.

I've used four of those doohickeys on my Bounder for two years and haven't had an invasion since! My Dad would say that is a 5-cent solution to a two-dollar problem.

Best Regards,
Frank