Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD138 View Post
I'm at a total loss of what to do about rodent prevention. Our motorhome is stored on the mowed grass on the side of the house with the tires up on blocks. I don't have power running to it.

I don't have any rodents there now but I want to prevent them from entering. I have been reading a lot about keeping rodents out of the motorhome and understand the "usual" methods of protection. The issue I'm having is; all the reviews I read have positive and negative results. The "popular" products with lots of good reviews also have terrible reviews. I'm having a real hard time of what to do. Can anyone give me some real world reviews, opinions or suggestions on how they prevent rodent's from entering the motorhome?
Rodent infestation is certainly a problem, especially if you’re parking in a field. There are ways to close up the potential gaps that most motorhomes and trailers have. I fount that rodents were going up the windshield Pilar post until I put some expanding foam into the offending Pilar’s and anywhere else I could find. But your problem is gonna get worse, even if they don’t get into your coach, I’m talking about exposed wiring the runs the full length of your coach/trailer. I even found rodents nesting on the engine plenum!! What to do? Get thee to your favorite hardware store and buy several cans of black flag wasp spray and proceed to spray down all your exposed wiring and the top of your engine and hoses. The spray smells nice and the critters will hate it because it tastes bad and it burns their skin. Good luck.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Real world data for refridgerator

This is a link to my Appliance Power Usage gsheet.

I have also attached a pdf print of the refrigerator data incase the link is problematic.

As the fridge ages it will use more power so figure that in.

For my fridge I would say 400AH of LiFePO4 is minimum (600 AGM) is reasonably convenient.

But even with 800AH your not going more than a couple of days. The problem is so many parasitic loads in the coach. You will be hard pressed to get below 5A of background load. That is 120AH a day sucked up by things that are very hard to turn off. Then add 100AH for the fridge average and you will use 220AH a day with out any other loads, and there are lots of other loads.

Bottom line is 400AH usable (not nominal) probably wont even get you two days with out some sort of charging.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Appliance Power Usage Data - Google Sheets.pdf (36.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
At our cabin up in the UP we would put Bounce dryer sheets in the cabinets and around the beds and any other places they might like to enter. It really helped along with sticky traps. But it's a cabin in the woods so we sort of expect that sort of uninvited guest. I've now put them in the pass-through storage and through out our camper now that we've put it away for the winter.
rmtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I haven't had a problem since I started usning https://www.grandpagus.com/?utm_sour...J9Vs%3D.LuBWfT
It isn't a poison, it is a deterrent.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #33

Repel Rodents

Quote:
I'm at a total loss of what to do about rodent prevention. Our motorhome is stored on the mowed grass on the side of the house with the tires up on blocks. I don't have power running to it.

I don't have any rodents there now but I want to prevent them from entering. I have been reading a lot about keeping rodents out of the motorhome and understand the "usual" methods of protection. The issue I'm having is; all the reviews I read have positive and negative results. The "popular" products with lots of good reviews also have terrible reviews. I'm having a real hard time of what to do. Can anyone give me some real world reviews, opinions or suggestions on how they prevent rodent's from entering the motorhome?
I used to work in the farming industry and rodents were in abundance. The go to for farmers: the smelliest dryer sheets you can find (Downy, generic, no matter) and put them in every space in your home. The rodents hate the smell! It has worked for us for decades! 😀😀 Each Spring, we open up the fresh smelling camper and throw all of the sheets away.
Laudy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #34

We had a stowaway and found that the sticky traps work the best when it comes to capturing the rascals once they're in.
We then went full DEFCON and installed mouse-blockers. I have one pointing under the engine and up front by the generator. The others are in the cargo bays.
https://mouseblocker.com
Old 12-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #35

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Rodents Under the Hood

Quote:

I do not know if anyone has posted on the mineral deficiency rodents often have. This is why they eat the wires in a car or truck. The wire insulation is reported to taste salty, I do not know, I have never eaten any of the wires in my truck

Get some mineral block for feeding livestock and put it under the hood of the vehicle. They will go for it first, but use all the other methods like traps with peanut butter. The rodents like to hide under the hood where cats cannot get them.

After using a mineral block, I have not had any wires eaten. Before the mineral block, they ate a brand-new $50.00 serpentine belt and ate through the fuel injection controller wiring harness! Was fun to rewire!
Old 12-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #36

Rodents

Quote:

Purchase Loraffe Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Rodent Strobe Light. They are not that expensive a Amazon and they work.
ElmondTX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:59 PM   #37

Set traps inside the rv and garage areas. Physical barriers works best so seal up any possible entry points - mice only need 1/4” to squeeze their way in. Rodents like to chew but won’t chew steel wool so you can stuff it in areas they might try to gnaw there way in. Set motion control solar lights under the rig, blinking red led lights inside the engine compartment help. If your Motorhome has an engine hood leave it open so they don’t feel safe from predators. A favorite entry point is the cabin air filter housing. I’ve used the bucket traps, problem is mice are smarter than we think and soon learn don’t go there. For the same reason if they learn how to trigger the traps without getting caught they will come back every time you replace the bait so put a sticky trap where they have to stand to trigger it. Ultrasonic devices don’t work, essential oils eventually quit working, tried some sprinkle stuff with peppermint and other oils, mice just crapped in it. Mounting a dead mouse on a stick outside the MH doesn’t work either.
SantaFeSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #38

Hi there,
We had problems with rodents. One thing that I had to do was make a new heater/ac box in the front of the motor home. The old air box was breaking and there is no replacement box for a 2004 travel supreme. I fabricated a new box out of aluminum. Since then, no rodent problems.
Lavonbenn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
If you want to train feral cats to remain loyal to your property it is a good idea to feed them. They will not lose their natural instinct to hunt and will still bring home surprises that are dead. Just don't leave their food out past their evening feeding or you will find all the neighborhood deadbeats coming in the dark for the leftovers.
It is also a good idea to try getting feral kittens and have them spayed or neutered.
We live on an acreage with 3 barn cats, used to 4 but one got eaten by the coyotes. All three are good mousers and we have cat doors on all our out buildings where we store equipment, including the travel trailers. Have yet to see any sign of mice in any of our buildings and no where near our trailers.

Before this acreage we did not have a cat and I used the bucket technique successfully. It was more chipmunks than mice there but the bucket didn't discriminate. I simply had a ramp and would scatter sunflower seeds on the water.

I now have the roller bar type attachment but haven't had to use it on this property yet due to very efficient cats.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #40

I live in the country and have the same problem. I have had to replace the wiring harness in two cars, thanks to squirrels. I am reluctant to use poison as my neighbors have dogs . After several different solutions didn't work, I stumbled across a "Squirrelinator"

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=squirri...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I frequently catch 3 or more at a time. I have turned on my neighbors and now we have 3 of these in the neighborhood. I have only seen one squirrel in the last 4 months and I trapped and removed that fairly quickly.

In my neighborhood, we have barn owls. I put in a barn owl box and I am sure they really reduce the population of smaller rodents. When I look under the owl box all I see is small rodent bones.

I know these solutions are not for everyone, but they have sure helped me.
natgild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Tough to use this method when the temperature is in the 20's,water gets a little hard.😂😂
Old 12-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moth Balls, a couple of packages on paper plates inside the RV and two in breathable bags in the engine compartment. That works. As a 5 year owner the first two years we tried the normal stuff. Nothing worked, they nested on the dryer sheets and ate the Irish Spring soap, etc. Last two years have kept Moth Balls in it in the winter and no rodents. The smell goes away quickly in a day or so with the windows down. Cheap also, they last a couple of years.
Lez8ma is offline   Reply With Quote