Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #1

Another RV purchase question

Sorry to be that guy asking a bunch of questions but whatís everyoneís thoughts on the
Navi star Maxforce 7? I know itís a 6.4 Diesel and Iíve owned an f250 that regenerated was too much. Is this why they get a bad rep?

Thank you again! All the info is so helpful when making a purchase like this.
Windy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy1 View Post
Sorry to be that guy asking a bunch of questions but what’s everyone’s thoughts on the
Navi star Maxforce 7? I know it’s a 6.4 Diesel and I’ve owned an f250 that regenerated was too much. Is this why they get a bad rep?

Welcome to iRV2.com where this is a subform for each of the engine builders. I think some research there will answer your questions about the Navistar engine family. go to:https://www.irv2.com/forums/f122/
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #3

I've heard of issues with that engine. Some get along fine and others not so good. However, I don't have first hand knowledge. My choice would be to stick to something with a Cat or Cummins. Cat isn't in the new market anymore, but they are a solid, proven, and dependable engine.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #4

Search posts the MaxF forum gets little traffic but read for those unhappy problems. Nobody post days nothing happened lol. Most actual owners haven't bad mouthed them when asked. A lot more free help here on cummins or cat. Less shops may want to help or know them. I wouldn't pay as high for MaxF.coach as a cummins rig ....price would have to be really good .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Sorry to be that guy asking a bunch of questions but whatís everyoneís thoughts on the
Navi star Maxforce 7? I know itís a 6.4 Diesel and Iíve owned an f250 that regenerated was too much. Is this why they get a bad rep?

More information about what you are actually looking at would help. I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone is using the MAXFORCE engine any longer in RV's. They just couldn't cut the mustard, the same with the Cummins small v8. You can get a Ford Powerstroke diesel in the Class C.

As far as the Regens, its due to not putting it to work and or not getting it good an hot and keeping it that way. constant city driving a diesel will cause it to REGEN allot.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:

Iím rebuilding a 6.4 as we speak. Run! Piston cracked on an 80,000 mile motor that had been babied. Donít fall in that hole.
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have personal experience but some MaxxForce owners report difficulty in finding service for them. Apparently the Navistar shops that have MaxxForce skills aren't RV-friendly. Possibly further complicated by the fact that MaxForce engines mostly appear mostly only in orphan chassis (Workhorse, Roadmaster) or the relatively unknown Tiffin Powerglide.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #8

Well. as a tech myself. i work on Cummins mostly, so i can tell you. Cummins breaks down a lot. because i only see the broken ones. but. I won't knock them. every engine breaks down. i have a nav star engine in my 2011 MH. maxforce 10. so far so good despite all the negativities. one thing i can say for sure is. every Mh owner should be handy around MH. since i do still own a 2002 bounder with a Cummins. i had to replace oil pan. rusted threw, i had to replace all the exhaust turbo back. i had to replace belts and tensioner. i had to replace exhaust manifold, was cracked in half. this is all on the Cummins. soo what do i say, Cummins is bad. No i don't, its repairs that have to be done over the years. doesn't matter what engine. i DO hope my maxforce 10. will be the same. But from what i heard, the 7 is better because it does not have the egr system. soo if the house fits you, buy it!! does not matter what you buy. it's a chance you are taking when buying used.
Willhelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase