Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
Michelin's tire chart is not like that, shows only single and dual for each tire size
and type. There are 1-4 sets of asterisks, but the pic he shows only shows what one asterisk means, what does 2, 3, and 4 mean? Showing two pressures for the exact same tire does not make any sense to me.
The asterisks on the Tokyo chart refer to various size Michelin equivalents.

I agree that the Toyo chart is confusing, which is why this thread was started. There is however, just enough information on the chart to identify the OP’s tire.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Your CAT scale weights are nearly identical to our 36 FDS. (yours being about 300lb heavier in the rear)
I've found 95psi cold front and rear just about ideal. They "grow" to about 102-107psi at 85-90 degrees temp.
They were originally set at 110 by the installer and the ride was rough, steering a little twitchy.
I believe WRV recommends 95psi all the way around for our chassis.
10k miles on our six 295/75/22.5 H steer tires, no unusual wear issues, great ride and handling. Now if I can figure out why the new TST507 tpms gives occasional false alarms...
I’ve been running 100 pounds, but dropped them them to 95 this morning to see if it drove better. Wasn’t impressed with the first half of our trip today, but I’m hoping it was just a crappy road, coupled with my new toad pushing us around. Second leg of the drive was better. WRV has 95 on the placard, but says to set by weight in the owners manual. Since these aren’t the original rated tires, I figured I’d experiment. Just didn’t wanna set em too low. Curious what alarms you’re getting? My tireminder saved me a week or so ago when the brakes were sticking on the toad. At first I thought it had just dropped signal on a tire, as that happened on a rear coach tire when I forgot to turn the repeater on one time. But it was the temp alarm.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
I’ve been running 100 pounds, but dropped them them to 95 this morning to see if it drove better. Wasn’t impressed with the first half of our trip today, but I’m hoping it was just a crappy road, coupled with my new toad pushing us around. Second leg of the drive was better. WRV has 95 on the placard, but says to set by weight in the owners manual. Since these aren’t the original rated tires, I figured I’d experiment. Just didn’t wanna set em too low. Curious what alarms you’re getting? My tireminder saved me a week or so ago when the brakes were sticking on the toad. At first I thought it had just dropped signal on a tire, as that happened on a rear coach tire when I forgot to turn the repeater on one time. But it was the temp alarm.
We just did a 700 mile quickie roadtrip to Idaho and back. Had two false "low pressure" alarms. One on the Jeep which cleared after 30 seconds and one on the LR inner dual that the audible alarm stayed on steady for miles.
Both for no particular reason, but pulled over as soon as safely possible and checked anyhow. At no time did either suspect tire sensor show abnormal pressures or tempatures. Just the low tire pressure icon illuminated and the suspect tire flashing on the screen with audible beeping. The repeater is installed as per instructions and was on. TST says it could possibly be caused by our indoor/outdoor thermometer, both operate at 433mhz.
Weird.
If it continues to give false alarms it's going back.

P.S.
I just replaced our Wranglers calipers and rotors X 4 this spring.
They started dragging so hard I barely made it back home one day. Thankfully it didn't happen while in tow. So that makes all new brakes on the whole shebang. The Firestone bags are still on backorder from Michigan Truck Springs, but those new Koni 99s up front are fantastic.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #18

Firestone, Goodyear, and some other truck tire mfgrs. say to never run less than the Federal Tire Placard the vehicle mfgr placed on the vehicle if their load/inflation charts show less.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda67bnl View Post
You certainly have plenty of tire for your weights. It would be interesting to conduct a blind test with tire pressures set at 95, 100 & 105, to see with what degree of accuracy the driver could “guess” the correct pressure. My prediction is that incorrect guesses would dominate the results.

Given your weights and axle ratings of 12K front and 19K rear, it’s possible that a LRG tire with a lower minimum pressure requirement, at least on the rear axle, might allow for a more pleasant ride than the particular LRH tire that you’ve selected, which appears to have a minimum required pressure of 95psi. It could that more isn’t better in this case.

As for the repeater, if you can locate and utilize an ignition switched power source for the device, it will always be on while driving.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Firestone, Goodyear, and some other truck tire mfgrs. say to never run less than the Federal Tire Placard the vehicle mfgr placed on the vehicle if their load/inflation charts show less.
If you check, that placard on your RV, truck, or car is for the maximum weight your vehicle is rated for on the axle stated.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #21

I've always wondered why a tire company would do the testing to produce a load inflation table and then tell you to ignore it and use the placard on the coach. Don't they trust their own research???
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I've always wondered why a tire company would do the testing to produce a load inflation table and then tell you to ignore it and use the placard on the coach. Don't they trust their own research???

Source #1, the engineers.

Source #2, the attorneys.

CYA trumps physics.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
The placard is only accurate if the tire size and load ratings match the original equipment ratings the chassis engineers designed. If you stick to the OEM tire specs the placard tire pressure recommendations should be well within the tire manufacturers inflation tables. Of course, accurate scale weight should be done to insure you're not overweight, and pressure is within the tire manufactures spec tables. This all goes out the window if one bit of the equation isn't correct...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:44 PM   #24

Quote:
They pass the responsibility of recommending tire pressures to the vehicle manufacturer. Rightfully so, as the difficulty in understanding the correct method and then determining the appropriate tire pressure for a vehicle, ranks somewhere between understanding quantum physics and the meaning of life.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
The placard is only accurate if the tire size and load ratings match the original equipment ratings the chassis engineers designed. If you stick to the OEM tire specs the placard tire pressure recommendations should be well within the tire manufacturers inflation tables. Of course, accurate scale weight should be done to insure you're not overweight, and pressure is within the tire manufactures spec tables. This all goes out the window if one bit of the equation isn't correct...
The placards are not as accurate as a scale and the load inflation charts. My coach placard says 110 psi in all 8 tires. That would put the front axle 5 psi under inflated, the drive 20 psi above what I could possible get in the coach unless I carried gold bars and the tag would be 35 psi above what the Load chart reads for the load. Now that was a rough ride except for when the front tires would have failed from under inflation.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAlreadyGot1 View Post
They pass the responsibility of recommending tire pressures to the vehicle manufacturer. Rightfully so, as the difficulty in understanding the correct method and then determining the appropriate tire pressure for a vehicle, ranks somewhere between understanding quantum physics and the meaning of life.

I don't see how it could be any simpler. Weigh each position, get the pressure from the chart for the heaviest tire on an axle, look in the load table for the psi for that weight. Then add 10% for temperature changes and hit the road. It doesn't have to be complicated, It's just simple math.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #27

Quote:
I don't see how it could be any simpler. Weigh each position, get the pressure from the chart for the heaviest tire on an axle, look in the load table for the psi for that weight. Then add 10% for temperature changes and hit the road. It doesn't have to be complicated, It's just simple math.
My apologies. I thought the exaggeration of the difficulty level in my previous post might be a sufficient indicator of the sarcasm behind the message.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAlreadyGot1 View Post
My apologies. I thought the exaggeration of the difficulty level in my previous post might be a sufficient indicator of the sarcasm behind the message.
I realized that after I posted it. However, I was right on for many that ask this same question. Does any topic get repeated on this forum more than "Tire Pressure".

Tags
pressure, tire, tire pressure