Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
$1895 dealer installed - was done at North Trail Rv Ft Myers FL
fresno63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFExcursion View Post
Thanks for the info. Could you tell me the cost of this product for your rig?
I paid $1895 installed from dealer, North Trail RV, Ft Myers FL. This didn't include the band removal kit
fresno63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Please Please Please. It will save your life and the life of others should you ever have a blowout.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #32

can`t make this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I certainly value our TPMS, but I'm not sure it would be any help in case of a blowout, except where the tire was deflating before it blew out.
No, but the steering stabilizer may have helped give him a little more time to react or given him a much needed assist.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #33

I think it takes several seconds for the TPMS to cycle through the tires and report a deflation. Last week I had a flat from a nail on my VW and the MS didn't tell me about it until I was already stopped.

They are good for gradual deflation over minutes maybe, but not a fast leak or blowout.

I wonder if the advertising breeds a false since of security.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I asked a Leo (a friend of mine) about the term "Rapid deflation" and he answered that if they put "Blowout" in a report it assumes the tire manufacturer is partially culpable in any given situation. I guess the term rapid deflation then becomes a court issue of discussion.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Very sad we pass this going eastbound on I 10 the other day. as for the Tyron's after reading an article on blowouts on motorhomes the DW said we need these I think we paid $1600 dealer installed.
FLjeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #36

Blowout under me (left front) at 70 mph with my Revolution 2 years ago in 100 degree heat, 4 year old tires. Had Tyron, and lots of luck. No damage to the wheel or coach, could not of handled better, just lightly hit breaks after I felt no pulling and got off the road. Yup got by this time!!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #37

Latest report is that a tire on the Toad went flat. Must have jerked the rear of the MH enough to cause it to swerve into the other lane & then into the median. Regardless it is still a tragedy.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #38

Hard to believe a flat on the toad would pull the Dutch Star off the road. Wonder how fast they were driving.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE: I passed the accident site yesterday on my way to Lake Charles. Amazing..the coach plowed into the one of the only drainage imbankments between Crowley and Esterwood. Don't know if the outcome would have been any different, but a few more seconds and they would cave clears the ditch. Again, prayers offered for the two victims!

Here's the most recent story that aired today on local TV.

CROWLEY, La. (KLFY) – The two people who died in an RV crash in Crowley on Sunday morning have been identified by Louisiana State Police as Michael Brower, 69, of Canyon Lake, TX. and Deborah Frew, 62, of Canyon Skyline, TX.

The crash occurred around when a 2000 Newmar motorhome sideswiped a car on I-10 West in Crowley, around 1:30 p.m. on March 26, 2017.

An initial investigation by State Police revealed that the RV Browner and Frew were traveling in experienced a rapid tire deflation.

The motorhome reportedly crossed into the left lane of travel and sideswiped a 2012 Honda Civic.

After impact, police say the motorhome and passenger vehicle continued to travel off the roadway, struck a bridge guardrail, and then overturned into the median.

Browner and Frew died despite the fact they were wearing seatbelts.

Both the driver and a passenger of the Honda Civic were properly restrained and treated at local hospitals for minor injuries.

Eyewitnesses say a puppy dog named Kiya was also inside the vehicle but was able to escape uninjured.

Impairment is unknown at this time, and toxicology samples were taken from both drivers, the results of which are pending.

This crash remains under investigation.
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Latest report is that a tire on the Toad went flat. Must have jerked the rear of the MH enough to cause it to swerve into the other lane & then into the median. Regardless it is still a tragedy.
That's not the report I just read - nothing about a flat tire on the toad vehicle. If the car had a flat it could have happened while in the crash mode - not the cause of the crash.

I will say that we had a flat on the front tire of our towed Jeep and couldn't feel a thing while driving the Dutch Star. We found out when we got the dreaded hand waving by a passing car. We pulled over and there was a lot of damage to the Jeep. The motorhome had so much power that pulling the Jeep with a flat didn't phase it. That's when we got a TPMS for both vehicles.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
That's not the report I just read - nothing about a flat tire on the toad vehicle. If the car had a flat it could have happened while in the crash mode - not the cause of the crash.

I will say that we had a flat on the front tire of our towed Jeep and couldn't feel a thing while driving the Dutch Star. We found out when we got the dreaded hand waving by a passing car. We pulled over and there was a lot of damage to the Jeep. The motorhome had so much power that pulling the Jeep with a flat didn't phase it. That's when we got a TPMS for both vehicles.
Just passing on one of the news reports I saw a couple days ago. Like I said regardless of what caused it, still a tragedy.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
A friend of mine lost both wheels off his Wrangler toad, he did not even know it happened. Dragged the Jeep on the axle for miles until someone waved him over.