Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Another ZEP Wax Question

Hello. I posted the following in the Monaco Owners forum by mistake so I am re-posting it here (it was my first post and I screwed up).

Interestingly though one of the Monaco guys responded that he was not happy with the ZEP on his rig and he did not recommend it. His is probably the first negative comment that I have read about it. I am curious if there are other people that have tried it and are also not impressed?

Anyway, following is my original post...

I have been reading all of the posts about the ZEP Wax treatments and I would like to try it on our 2004 Georgetown. The only thing that makes me question it is that the bottom of the coach (up to the top of the bin doors) has really good paint and clear coat that shines already. Everything above that is white fiberglass with typical vinyl graphics and it is faded as you might expect from an'04.

I'm concerned that the TSP wash will run down on the paint/clear coat and cause problems...will it or no?

Also, if this isn't a problem should I do this painted section with the ZEP as well, or should I just do all of the white fiberglass and side decals and leave the painted section alone?

Any thoughts/suggestions/ experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
daoelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoelker View Post
Hello. I posted the following in the Monaco Owners forum by mistake so I am re-posting it here (it was my first post and I screwed up).

Interestingly though one of the Monaco guys responded that he was not happy with the ZEP on his rig and he did not recommend it. His is probably the first negative comment that I have read about it. I am curious if there are other people that have tried it and are also not impressed?

Anyway, following is my original post...

I have been reading all of the posts about the ZEP Wax treatments and I would like to try it on our 2004 Georgetown. The only thing that makes me question it is that the bottom of the coach (up to the top of the bin doors) has really good paint and clear coat that shines already. Everything above that is white fiberglass with typical vinyl graphics and it is faded as you might expect from an'04.

I'm concerned that the TSP wash will run down on the paint/clear coat and cause problems...will it or no?

Also, if this isn't a problem should I do this painted section with the ZEP as well, or should I just do all of the white fiberglass and side decals and leave the painted section alone?

Any thoughts/suggestions/ experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
I've done it several times - probably 7 coats - but only on the fiberglass. I - personally - would not touch the painted portion. Although, I did it on the door - painted - and the results have been fine.

As far as "...TSP wash will run down on the paint/clear coat and cause problems" Use lots of water to clean TSP off and you shouldn't have any problems.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yea, what He said.. Try doing just the top,, you can always come back and do the lower part. I think the worst the TSP will do is wash off your wax.. I did the whole coach, even though the lower part did have some shine.
FYI, I am trying something totally different with my Zep wax, Doing the inside vinyl floors.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did my complete coach with Zep. Paint,fiberglass and over the graffics and had no problems. Coach looks new again.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
I did my complete coach with Zep. Paint,fiberglass and over the graffics and had no problems. Coach looks new again.

Hydro, how long have you had the Zep on?
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:32 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over one year
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #7

Any before and after pics?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have had some clear coat peeling problems on my old rig. Mostly where Clear Coat covered Gel Coat (not paint).

I have not put Zep over clear coated paint!

I have put Zep on the rear cap of my rig where all the clear coat over gelcoat was removed. It is still good after two years.

Here is a picture of an experimental app of Zep next to Clear Coat.

Note: I am not certain, but I think the Zep Remover stuff damaged my Clear Coat over Paint area.....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #9

My Friend used Zep 3 yrs ago and liked it,i stayed with poly-glo ,and my rig looks new again
Mr Plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #10

Our rig is 21 years old, but has 8 year old graphics. Did the two fiberglass end caps and one 40' side yesterday. Looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. Used more Bar Keepers than ZEP. Did encounter a small area that either had some old wax or peeling clear coat. The ZEP got all balled up with the stuff, so had to quickly get it wiped off. It was less than a square foot of area, so it turned out ok.

Used about a third of a gallon, applied with lint free towels. I think using a spray bottle would work great, but would be really careful around windows. I'm not sure it would come off the glass. On an old coach like ours the rubber makes the towels turn black which puts a black streak on the fiberglass if you don't change towels.

I only did about four coats, but think I'll do a couple more as there are still some streaks on some of the larger areas. Each new coat removed a lot of streaks.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"I'm not sure it would come off the glass" Clembon69,, I got some Zep on my windows, tried ammonia, then used a blade scraper to clean it... I will be more careful next time.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

I used a microfiber towel and a small painters cup. Rubber gloves and just dipped into and then would squeeze out the excess. It worked great with minimal runs to chase down. If you was the cloth out with warm water you can use it for the next coat.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #13

What is the longevity for this to work before it turns? My camper has to sit outside until winter.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #14

I'm in year three of my Zep application. I have a 98 Bounder and it has always lived outdoors in Florida. Yes. It looked really faded, chalky and had no "finish". It was bad!

My first application was 2+ years ago and i applied 7 coats everywhere. Painted basement doors, fiberglass, plastic surfaces, decals, grille slats, mirror covers and mounts. I recently put on a two coat "maintenance" application and this week stayed in a campground with some friends. They were all blown away with how good the RV looked. They even commented it looks like new; and it does... except for the heavily cracked decals that look like crap but shine like new!

The plastic parts look like they just had two coats of armor all applied. The black rubber parts are black and shiny. The decals though in horrible condition are shinier than new. The fiberglass sides look like they were dipped in clear plastic and the painted surfaced look showroom new.

I use a microfiber towel and a water bottle with a pin hole in the cap to apply it to the towel then wipe on the RV. I use lots of overlapping coverage so my 2 coat maintenance coat is probably three. But it looks fantastic.
I havent had any yellowing, though horizontal surfaces will get a bit milky when water stands on them for an extended time. Also the front cap peeled off but it was because I did very little prep to it. But it looked good for well over a year.

Removal - Zep floor wax remover - or - regular old ammonia in a jug. For removal on glass surfaces I find RainX works awesome!

I will never ever use conventional wax on an RV again! I two years I literally have only washed it with liquid Ajax dish-soap. It still looked amazing for not being touched (except washing) in two years.

Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote