Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Antenna

I am looking at the Wineguard RS-3000 over the air antenna. Has anyone out there have had any experience with either install or use? I want to install it on 42' coach?
Rik Poston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are the instructions how.
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452249.pdf
Available at: Winegard RS-3000 Roadstar 3000 Series Omni-Directional Digital Antenna White Trailer Camper RV

My only concern is it can easily be snagged by a tree branch since shielding it behind an AC would interfere with reception.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend AGAINST an omnidirectional antenna. It will work well if you can see the TV towers, else, it simply does not have the range.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

I'll second wa8yxm, directional will give you much better service over omni. And raising it up a bit to clear the mentioned 'roof blockage' is also going to serve you with better reception.

Which one? Hard to go wrong with Winegard. If you're not in a rush, they're supposed to have a new electric raised option, vs hand crank, coming out. If that is important to you.

Also take the time to read up on the added signal strength gizmo's available, they can also make a difference in fringe areas to pull in the best signal you can...

Best of luck, and have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

We changed out out Wineguard antenna to the Jack. Picture is clearer and seems to draw in more channels.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

My RV came with the Wineguard I live in a rural suburb of Los Angeles and can only pull in one channel. If I didn't have my Direct TV HD dish I would be looking for something better, as I have not had good luck with it out on the road either.
Dune Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
We changed out out Wineguard antenna to the Jack. Picture is clearer and seems to draw in more channels.
I'll bet you replaced the coax too.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Hauler View Post
My RV came with the Wineguard I live in a rural suburb of Los Angeles and can only pull in one channel. If I didn't have my Direct TV HD dish I would be looking for something better, as I have not had good luck with it out on the road either.
Years ago I attended a lecture on dairy farm .. er.. Waste disposal shall we say (You know, Political Speeches, Also known as B...)
You see, growing up as I did on a dairy farm.. i've shoveled tons of that stuff. But back to topic.

Most of the TV transmitters near LA are congreated, Likely in 2 or 3 spots. but there was a farm who had a rather large pile of .. That stuff... And the FCC ask him to top it off because TV signals were being blocked by the pile.

The speaker expressed the opinion that many TV shows coming out of Hollywood were getting through that pile just fine. (Can't say as I disagree with him).

It may be your RV can't see over the man made hill.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I see quite a few happy reports about the Antennacraft Mini-state antenna. It's directional but the rotating element is inside a sleek housing.

AntennaCraft HDMS9100 Programmable Direction Memory Mini-State TV Antenna (HDMS9100) from Solid Signal
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Double down on the Jack, works great for us.

Tags
antenna