Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Anti freeze in fresh water tank.

I’m winterizing my 2007 Winnebago Voyage just as I’ve always done. Valves on Winterize and Bypass Water Heater. Turn on the water pump and the antifreeze disappears but does not go up to the faucets. It appears it went into some lines but mostly to the fresh water tank. What am I missing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a fresh water tank "Fill Valve" switch that is open? are you connected to outside water source?
Also check that the hot and cold valves for the exterior hand shower (if equipped) is shut off.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Close off the line into your FWT and look at links in this thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you had the 2 way valve that can be set to City Water or Fill Tank set to Fill Tank it ties the cold water line on the pressure side of the water pump to the line that feeds into the top of the water tank. That would have caused all the RV antifreeze to be sucked into the water pump and down some of the cold water lines and into the fresh tank.

I would put more water into the fresh tank and repeat drain it right away so that the dye in the RV antifreeze does not stain it.

To winterize, you want to:

1. Put the water valve into City Water Position
2. Put the Hot Water Heater Bypass Valve into Bypass position
3. Have all hot and cold valves closed
4. Put the Winterize intake tube into the jug of RV antifreeze
5. Move the Winterize intake valve to Winterize Position
6. Turn on the Water Pump

7a. At this point your pump will draw antifreeze into both hot and cold water lines and you can open faucets, outside faucets, and shower valves one at a time until you get red flow out of each one.

7b. Push the check valve button on the fresh water intake connection until you get red flow

7c. On my Vista, there is a low point drain valve on the cold line by the water heater, that gets opened briefly to get the antifreeze soluiton down to there. Depending on your Winnebago's design, you may not have this.

7d. If your RV has a refrigerator with ice maker and/or water filters follow your Winnebago Operator Guide instructions, generally you don't put antifreeze into them you drain and/or remove the water filters over winter.

On my Vista it takes more than one jug.

7e. Use the remaining antifreeze from the 2nd jug to pour into the sink and shower traps and into the toilet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #5

I don't like anti-freezing-up my coach. I drain the black and gray tanks and fill the fresh water tank. It takes a long time to freeze 80 gallons plus of water and by putting a heater (some use a 60 or 100 watt bulb, I don't but some do) in the water bay that handles that. I also put a sensor in the bay that signals my iPhone if it drops below 40 degrees. Meaning the heater is not working for some reason.

I also put two heaters inside the coach. One in the kitchen with all cabinets open, including the refrigerator. And one in the bath, with all doors open including the shower door. I also have a sensor inside the coach (between kitchen and bath) to alert me if temps drop below 40.

This all assumes you have 50 amp service and are in a reasonable (30 min) proximity to your coach!

Harry
Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On our 2005 Sunrise there are 2 diverter valves that need to be turned when winterizing. Check to make sure you have both of those turned if yours is equipped the same way. The 2 valves are in the same bay the water heater is in but are not mounted directly on the water heater.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

Thank you all for your help. This forum is amazing. I had left the City Fill valve open. My manual says to open it for draining, but no where does it say to close it before winterizing. In past years I must have closed it, but this year did not. Live and learn.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

I see my reply looks confusing by using the term "open" in reference to the City water/fill valve. I meant I left the valve in "Fill".
Old 11-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #9

I did the same thing this year winterizing my new trailer, left the tank fill valve open. Had antifreeze coming out of my drain on fresh water tank .

Oh well, live and learn, next year I'll remember .

My previous trailer has a separate fill tube for freshwater tank, city water was in another location so I never had to deal with that.

Also previous trailer didn't have the clear hose with valve for siphoning antifreeze( had to unscrew hose clamp on water pump inlet and add a piece of garden hose to antifreeze jug)

I think it will go smooth next year!
Diggerdan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If you had the 2 way valve that can be set to City Water or Fill Tank set to Fill Tank it ties the cold water line on the pressure side of the water pump to the line that feeds into the top of the water tank. That would have caused all the RV antifreeze to be sucked into the water pump and down some of the cold water lines and into the fresh tank.

I would put more water into the fresh tank and repeat drain it right away so that the dye in the RV antifreeze does not stain it.

To winterize, you want to:

1. Put the water valve into City Water Position
2. Put the Hot Water Heater Bypass Valve into Bypass position
3. Have all hot and cold valves closed
4. Put the Winterize intake tube into the jug of RV antifreeze
5. Move the Winterize intake valve to Winterize Position
6. Turn on the Water Pump

7a. At this point your pump will draw antifreeze into both hot and cold water lines and you can open faucets, outside faucets, and shower valves one at a time until you get red flow out of each one.

7b. Push the check valve button on the fresh water intake connection until you get red flow

7c. On my Vista, there is a low point drain valve on the cold line by the water heater, that gets opened briefly to get the antifreeze soluiton down to there. Depending on your Winnebago's design, you may not have this.

7d. If your RV has a refrigerator with ice maker and/or water filters follow your Winnebago Operator Guide instructions, generally you don't put antifreeze into them you drain and/or remove the water filters over winter.

On my Vista it takes more than one jug.

7e. Use the remaining antifreeze from the 2nd jug to pour into the sink and shower traps and into the toilet.
Potable antifreeze, at least the West Marine -100F variety, does NOT leave a stain in general. If, on the off chance it did stain the HDPE water tank, why would it be a problem?
Azpugman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water