RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Some of you are really lucky. I wish I could get my DW to drive the coach. She is actually a more than competent driver but she shrivels at the thought of even attempting to drive the coach.
Dittos.
I could go into to the 21 year history of owning 3 different MHs but that would take too long and isn't relevant anyway. Suffice it to say in that time the DW has driven a coach 1 time for 50 miles but I'm not complaining and she is a great CP and has no problem napping or reading and still keeps a good eye on me.
To the women out there that have the cajones to get behind the wheel of a 35,000+lbs rig, more power to you and I salute you. See you on the road.
P.S. Xanax works wonders.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I'm also a terrible passenger, paired with an excellent driver. But my terribleness as a passenger prevails, so I do almost all the driving.

I think that's actually the solution for the OP, or at least something to try.

A primary reason I'm a terrible passengers is fears about stopping distance. And for that reason, I hate secondary roads, especially with stoplights. Even at slower speeds, if the light changes right in front of you, you're going to have to make a split-second decision whether to try to stop or to blow through it.

My inclination is to lift off the gas as I approach a green light on a highway, to make it easier to stop in case it turns, but sometimes that slows me down enough that I actually end up catching the red light, and having to stop suddenly anyway. But maintaining speed while approaching a light that might change seems like a bad idea, too.

I do look at the cross streets in the intersection as I approach, even from way far away, reasoning that if there are cars waiting there then the light might be fixing to change. But even with that much awareness, you can't predict what's going to happen.

I adore the intersections where they have a warning light well before the stoplight that indicates the light ahead is changing, but they are few and far between. At least with those, if that warning light isn't blinking, then I know that if I maintain my speed I'm not going to encounter an unexpected red light.

Overall, I prefer driving the moho + toad on limited access highways, even if it means dealing with idiots on ramps.
oh my gosh, I loved your description of stop lights on secondary roads! Your expressed the dilemma beautifully!. I haven't decided yet which I prefer. I like 4 lanes so I don't have to worry how fast I go. And minimal stop lights.

What's wrong with going 60 (speed limit for trucks) when the max speed is 70? Right hand land of course! Isn't that safer and better gas mileage?

Ellen
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
My wife is a Nervous Nelly when riding in class A Motorhome. We had a C class for 8 years and it was not a big problem with only minor issues. For some reason being higher up and over front wheels scares her. She can not look down and see edge of road and only sees dropoffs and ditches 3-5 feet from bus. She tried setting on couch and that didn't seem to help. When up front, she is very useful as another set of eyes watching merging traffic and off ramps. We have had several people race around us on right shoulders and merge ramps to beat us that really scared her. We usually are withing 5mph of speed limit in traffic that prevented them from passing us in left lane. Or they are on ramp merging and have it floored trying to catch up and beat us before merge lane ends. My question is how do other co-pilots handle front seat stress and anxiety? Need answers and suggestion before winter I-95 trip to FL.

We faced a very similar issue. My wife was nervous to the point of tears when we got our DP. By our second season she got so relaxed she now drifts off to sleep as I drive down the road. This as well as all fears have to be handled carefully.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Dave and Ginny I now see my solution. Get an Entegra! Smooth riding and quiter. lol
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote