RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Any 2017 Ford V-10 Owners Using 5 Star Tune?

Curious if any 2017 V10 owners have installed and can give any feedback on the 5 star tuner? Iím considering it but am looking for feedback from real users on here about how it did or did not improve power, downhill trans shifting for braking, etc. are you happy or disappointed with it?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

I have a 2017 Newmar Bay Star 3516 - it has a 2016 chassis. Same as a 2017 chassis though, 6 speed transmission.

I added the 5 star tune after about 1500 miles of ownership. It changed things substantially. The added power and the new downshift logic are so nice, I would never drive without the tune, regardless of whatever it may do to the warranty (I don't honestly know).

Before the tune, even knowing how to use the brakes downhill I would still smell the pads burning on sustained declines (5-6% grades). I would also fall way behind going up hills, without a toad. Now my wife and I drive from California to Florida and back a couple times a year, fully loaded with a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 4-door in tow with literally zero issues. The jeep is about 500lb too heavy for GCWR so I will be getting something lighter soon, but I can tow it.

I highly recommend the tune, just don't waste money on the Diablo tuner with all the gauges and whatnot, mine stays in a cabinet as the information it displayed just wasn't useful or necessary.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 16 chassis also and have installed 5 star. It makes a difference on the hills, I pull more hills in 6th gear than before and on many hills it only shifts down to 5. On very steep it will go down to 4. Before 5star, it shifted later and then went deeper in the gears. I like it. The only problem I had was it took a couple times to install it. I had to call the company and they had to send me a new program. That went in okay and have had no problems since.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #4

Thanks to you both for the feedback! I ordered the 5 star, hopefully there were no changes from 2016-17 in the stock Ford tuning and I will see the same improvements you did. It does ok with downhill shifting for braking but sometimes seems like it waits a little longer than I would like before engaging and assisting in the decent. Iím hoping this improves that, I know it will never act like my diesel exhaust braking did but I want the best performance I can get out of this gasser.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #5

You won't have any problems calling up a downshift with the tune. Sometimes I feel like I can keep shifting a gear lower each time I press hard on the brakes. If anything it will make you wonder how long these V10's can survive close at/above 4K RPM's haha.

Also keep in mind that regardless of any model year ECU refinements, Ford de-tuned the V10 from 360ish HP to 320ish. You may have known that - but the tune fixes it and makes things a lot nicer.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going downhill when towing my CRV, a 6% grade will overtake the engine braking and I have to brake regularly on the way down. I sometimes let it rev to 5000rpm! I think the engine can take it fine, but it would be great if 5 Star improved this. I donít see how it can make a difference, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #7

https://www.google.com/search?q=%225...earch=irv2.com

4,160 threads with he search term 5 Star and 2017.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #8

I have the 2017 chassis in my 2018 Holiday Rambler. I installed the 5 star tuner and immediately noticed the difference. Before if the MH even Sensed a small rise it would downshift.
I am in the Rocky Mountains now and have navigated numerous passes, including 11,000+ foot Independence Pass into Breckenridge. I am quite pleased with the tuner.

Tags
ford