Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Any anti-sway bar experiences or comments??

I've been thinking of installing anti-sway bars on the coach. I've been doing some reading on windy conditions and making driving a bit easier and it seems the solution might be anti-sway bars. Even though I understand we are driving a big box down the road I think if things can be done to make handling better I should. I would appreciate any experiences or stories folks have about anti-sway bars, pros and cons. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

I don't have any comments on your question but I have installed air bags on the rear axle and a steering stabilizer these two changes made a big difference while traveling down the road. There is almost no movement when being over taken buy those 18 Wheeler's. I am still interested in installing new anti sway bars so your question is quite interesting to me. My MH is a 36' gasser towing my truck.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

We have a 2015 Fleetwood Terra SE 33s. Our first mountain roads were not good. Even diagonal RR tracks were bouncy.
We had Rosdmaster front and rear sway bars and Safe-T-Plus and differential track bar installed and it's night and day.
Stays flat steers straight a world of difference.
$3000.00 installed but worth every penny
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
We have a 2015 Fleetwood Terra SE 33s. Our first mountain roads were not good. Even diagonal RR tracks were bouncy.
We had Rosdmaster front and rear sway bars and Safe-T-Plus and differential track bar installed and it's night and day.
Stays flat steers straight a world of difference.
$3000.00 installed but worth every penny
Those are exactly the mods I am considering. But tll me about the differential track bar. Is that more rear end stabilization?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #5

Yes. It locks rear axle at differential to frame to reduce rear end rocking. Said to help on wind and passing by larger trucks.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #6

Based on your signature your 2012 Thor Tuscanny has a Freightliner XC chassis. Being an air ride chassis its going to have track bars front and rear or some equivalent axle locating system due to air spring instead of leafs. Normally a track bar is not something to consider for such a chassis vs a gas chassis with leafs that may have no rear or even front track bar from the factory.

You chassis also has a sway bar in the front that you can probably get a stiffer version of to reduce roll and I think there are rear one that can be added but may a somewhat complicated install. Your chassis is not as simple as a gas chassis like a F53 when it comes to mods, but they are typically not needed either.

With an air suspension roll is mitigated by the ride height valves as they move air from side to side as the suspension flexes. More people tend to focus on upgrades to the air system for those kinds of issues:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/xc-ch...ar-359606.html
Old 04-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #7

Now since jjarrell mentioned the air ride system on the Freightliner XC chassis I researched the Supersteer motion control units that are installed in the aiar line on the feed side of the air ride and restricts free flow of air from side to side with the theory that the air rides will reduce the rocking if the air ride remains somewhat rigid. Makes perfect sense to me and it put on both front and rear air ride air lines it seems the ride should be more stable. Anyone have experience with those. That would be about 1/3 the price of the sway bars and certainly easier to install assuming air leaks are not a problem.
So the question, Supersteer motion control units or sway bars?? In either event I think a steering control such as Safe-T-Plus would be advisable even though my RV is a DP. What do you all think?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Source Engineering in Eugene OR also sell a Motion Control unit. This thread describes the difference.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/sour...us-283689.html
Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motion Control Units for sway and the "Wal-Mart Wobble" when entering a driveway.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We installed SafetyTplus steering stabilizer last your on our Freightliner XC chassis. Big improvement. Better return to centering of the steering wheel in turns, better straight line tracking on the highway, and the biggest improvement is side wind scenarios. Plus the tire blow Out safety factor.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #11

So I had in mind the motion control units and so I measured the air lines on my air rides. Strangely (or maybe to you more experienced folks not so strangely) the front air lines are 1/2" and the rear lines are 1/4". Everyone advised the air lines would be 1/2" front and back or at least 1/2" rear and 1/4" front. So with 1/2" front and 1/4" rear I am wondering if the MCU's would make as much difference as the sway bars. Hmmmmm?? Certainly the Safe-T-Plus is going on!!