Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Any Do It Yourself ways to defog dual panes ?

Hello everyone,

A few of the side dual pane windows in my 2002 Monaco Diplomat have foggy windows and I was wondering if anyone here in iRV land had a solution for that short of replacement?

Thanks as always,

Kevin
KConnington is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #2

I had a window on my last RV that I took out and then apart. Trying to clean the "fog" off was very difficult. We needed up trying to scrape it with a razor.

Th outside window was not as fogged as the inside so we put a spacer in where the inside pane was and reinstalled the unit without the inside pane.

I was willing to buy a new window but I couldn't find an "off the shelf" that fit. Anything was going to be custom made where the RV didn't justify the cost of doing it.

It worked fine with one pane. When you think about it, the two pane windows are right next to a one pane gigantic windshield. IMO, the additional insulation provided by the 2 panes is far offset by the inconvenience of this exact problem.

Good luck - This is not an uncommon problem and I hope someone has a better solution for you.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #3

there are youtube videos on this
some people cut the seal, clean the glass and reassemble
if the glass is etched on the inside, it can't be cleaned then that pane has to be replaced
after then the dual pane can be reassembled
I didn't see anyway to charge gas into it and hermetically seal it
if you clean and reassemble there's a possibility of condensation forming
you'd have to do it all again

I took my rig to SunCoast Designers in Hudson Florida and had them redo my windows. not cheap but I figured would last longer than if I did it and lower risk of side delamination from a window frame water leak
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #4

windows

I just had mine (4) done by the " Fog Doctor" in Searcy, Ark @ $250.00 each.
Arrived Sunday night and used their hook ups. they started on our coach at 08:30 and were finished by 11:00AM.
Two front windows and two dining room windows are now clear as a bell, and I can see my mirrors. Yippee !
I watched how they did it and I think I will try the two small ones at the ends of the slide myself this summer. If I screw them up, I can always go back to the pro's.

I would highly recommend them to all.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I know this has been discussed on the forum previously but if you are planning on keeping the rig for years, you might want to consider going to a laminated single-piece glass to replace the double panes.

Some friends of ours did this because in previous motorhomes with double pane glass, they had to replace glass and seals several times on the same coach.

Just because you take apart the window, clean it and re-build it, doesn't mean that in a year or two that you won't start to see fogging once again. Even if you have it professionally done, it could start to fog again. DIY window re-building, though, is especially vulnerable to having fogging occur shortly after doing the procedure. It's frustrating when that happens as it's a painstaking process to re-build a window yourself.

I tried it once on one window and vowed never to do it again. Of course, I was doing it outside in the desert on a rather windy day --don't make that mistake!! And the window I was working with was badly etched. I spent hours on attempting to remove the etching. It actually came out looking worse than having the window slightly fogged as I scratched it in places and even using chemicals it wouldn't remove all the etching ...even tried cerium oxide.

If you've let your fogged windows sit for a long period of time, expect etching where the water permanently stains the glass making it impossible or next to impossible to remove. In fact, one post in a previous thread recommended not even attempting to remove etching ...just go to a glass shop and have them supply a new pane. The cost is worth the time you'll spend trying to clean the etched-stained glass.

However, getting back to the single piece laminated glass --it will cost slightly more to replace the dual-paned windows but you'll never have to worry about fogging windows for as long as you keep the coach as the air space between the two panes is eliminated. It's not quite as insulating as the dual panes but because it's so thick, it still offers some insulating properties.

From my notes: laminated glass will be similar to what is used in cars. It's a a thin layer of either polyvinyl butyral (PVB) or ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) is sandwiched between two thicker sheets of glass bonded together by heat under high pressure to form one single piece. It's essentially safety glass as it won't shatter upon impact so safer in an accident or more difficult for a vandal to penetrate.

So if you don't spend a lot of time in extremely hot or extremely cold climates, it could be something to consider doing.

This is one place that does it:

Laminated glass replacement panels -- RVGlass Solutions
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #6

https://foggywindowrepairkits.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

https://daverootrvglassrepair.com/diykits.html
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I just had mine (4) done by the " Fog Doctor" in Searcy, Ark @ $250.00 each.

Arrived Sunday night and used their hook ups. they started on our coach at 08:30 and were finished by 11:00AM.

Two front windows and two dining room windows are now clear as a bell, and I can see my mirrors. Yippee !

I watched how they did it and I think I will try the two small ones at the ends of the slide myself this summer. If I screw them up, I can always go back to the pro's.

I would highly recommend them to all.

Mike in Colorado

Great people, and do a great job. Used they several times. Including windshield replacement.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #9

I redid all the windows on a previous Class A. I did one a day and worked my way around the coach. I removed the window, disassembled, cleaned and resealed using window type urethane sealant. No gas necessary as there is a desiccant in the spacer. I then left them over night to set up before reassembling the next day. Using butyl tape to reinstall the frames, I had no leaks and the windows were all still holding fine when I traded coaches several years later. Purchased supplies from amazon and had to replace 1 pane due to severe etching. Local glass company made a new one up and tempered it for about 100.00, additional pieces would be cheaper as they had already made the template for the cutting. Not real hard, just a bit time consuming, but I am retired and patient.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a post I did ~6 years ago.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/don...ng-246255.html

The three windows still fog free, cost was ~$100.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you decide to DIY, here is a good video to watch

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:37 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
For me this is one of those things that I could do myself but the speed and cost for the professionals to do it was well worth the money. 11 windows done in one day at RV Fog Doctors for $2200.00. Totally turn key as I didn't even have to take down the valences or shades. Had I done it myself it would have taken weeks.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:53 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.dkhardware.com/insulatin...C4922M0P1.html
Old 05-13-2021, 06:11 AM   #14

I have no idea how the panes get "etched" but they do. This isn't a situation where a little windex and some elbow grease and you are going to wipe it off.

Would love to know the science behind it. I mean there is a pane that is filled with an inert gas (at least suppose to be) and I assume the inert gas leaks and air leaks in and maybe there is some sort of reaction with sunlight??
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote