Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any experience on Hwy 77 in West Virginia?

I'm planning a trip, and need to know about the stretch of Hwy from Charleston WV to to Winston Salem (Interstate 77). How many mountains, hills, tight turns should I expect?
DBTulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

Drove that headed north in December. My recollection is that there was one pretty long grade but no sharp turns.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We did that route a couple of years ago. To be honest, I don't remember much about it. If it had been a problem I'm guessing I'd remember that.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

We did it last year when heading to Charlotte for thanksgiving. Do not remember anything bad about the drive. Was a few climbs but no tight turns.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys!
DBTulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

The only real issues we've had with I-77 is that if you are coming down from Cleveland, the stretch through Charleston is a bit windy and somewhat narrow. Other than that stretch your only other long grade is from Fancy Gap down to the Piedmont. We usually come down I-79 to US 19 then to 77 in Beckley. Coming down 79 is pretty winding and some pretty good grades, but nothing excessive. If you were to take 79 to 19, be very aware of your speed and the speed limits, particularly around Sommerville.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
TSM

Growing up in Nitro and driving my coach from Columbus,
I am quite familiar with that part of I 77, there are no concerning issues regarding your route. The other post that referred to Summersville W.Va is entirely accurate
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Speaking of the Fancy Gap area on I 77 if you have a large rv and the forecast is for high winds wait for a calm day. We traveled this road for the past several years in April and May heading north from Florida. This year I thought we would chance it with a stormy forecast. 2 tractor trailers blew over behind us it was the worst wind I have experienced. The road is very scenic its like being in an airplane looking out into the distance but it's only enjoyable only if the weather is good. Do a search on line for news articles on a Fancy Gap Va.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The worst thing about I-77 is that from Charleston, WVA south to Rt 460 the govt will be digging into your pocket for tolls!! Putting all joking behind, that stretch of I-77 has really improved over the years. I remember driving that road back in the 70's when I was stationed at Wright Patterson AFB in Fairborn, OH. That was one piece of crap for a road, I think it was rated as one of the most dangerous roads in America at that time. It was a two lane death trap back in the day. I do wish that they would go back to only having toll boothes at each end instead of the 3 that they have spread out now.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote