Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 06:37 PM   #1

Any feedback on aftermarket Onan fuel pump?

My genny runs for an hour or so and quits like it's running out of gas. I am just going to replace the pump and filter, and if that doesn't fix it, I will go from there. The fuel pump is # 0149-2620. An OEM pump is $116, compared to many aftermarket pumps at $40 and less. The aftermarket ones seem to be plentiful online, but the OE not so much. Have any of you used the aftermarket pumps and lived to regret it?
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I have used an aftermarket pump without issues, I have read where others were not so fortunate and did have issues. I suppose it is that the aftermarket pumps have a higher failure rate, but certainly not all of them, so although I don't really believe in luck regarding making choices, I suppose in this case most people are lucky with the aftermarket pumps. I will add that in my experience the fuel pump either work or they don't, not that they work for an hour, I would simply change the fuel filter first and then if needed the pump.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeandTheBear View Post
My genny runs for an hour or so and quits like it's running out of gas. I am just going to replace the pump and filter, and if that doesn't fix it, I will go from there. The fuel pump is # 0149-2620. An OEM pump is $116, compared to many aftermarket pumps at $40 and less. The aftermarket ones seem to be plentiful online, but the OE not so much. Have any of you used the aftermarket pumps and lived to regret it?
I put this one on my Marquis 5500 Gold and to the best of my knowledge it is still working.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
one thing you can do is unplug the fuel pump from the circuit board and run a hot wire directly to it. The pump unplugs about 6-12 inches from the pump. Just make up a jumper wire with an alligator clip long enough to reach out to the batt+ on the front. Start the fuel pump then start the generator. If it does the same thing it is probably the pump. The pump cycles on and off normally to keep the fuel bowl full. When it's off pressure drops. And may not build pressure fast enough.

Another thing that can cause this is a plugged vent into the fuel tank. It concerns me that it will run for an hour before it dies. Usually when a fuel pump is weak it will pump, fill the carb bowl and run until it drains the bowl. Usually 3-5 minutes. A simple experiment is loosen your gas cap and see if it runs without stopping. Also, on that age of unit the fuel line from the tank could be brittle, cracked, sucking air or all of the above. I repaired one that would run forever with the hose in a 5 gallon gas can, but as soon as we hooked it up to the fuel tank line it would run maybe 10 minutes and then die. Replaced the fuel line and problem solved.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #5

When my Onan fuel pump quit, I purchased an after market fuel pump. It died about an hour into my trip. Next I purchased a fuel pump directly from Onan. I didnít purchase the one listed for my model because of the price ($160) but talked with the parts men for a bit and purchased another one sold by Onan for other similar model generators ($60). It was similar to the after market one I had previously installed, the one that failed after an hour. This one also failed in about an hour. (Before you ask, yes my fuel is clean and not gummy. . . .)

I went back online and purchased an old school, after market Carter pump that has worked reliably now for several years and a good amount of hours. I probably paid around $50 for it.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #6

When I got my used MH the genny would quit after 30 or so minutes. I took it to my local small engine guy and he said the pump was quitting so I put a new pump on and no problems since other than a bad carb after sitting for several years before I bought it. A new carb from Onan was ridiculous but that's the way having fun goes. It sat all winter without getting run and on the second start this spring it fired right up and kept running so as far as I'm concerned this thing about excursing it every 30 days is phooey.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #7

Airtex E11020 is what I found to be the OEM for Cummins on the 7500 quiet gen.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:09 PM   #8

Yep. That brand, not necessarily that model is what failed for me as noted in my previous post. But I didn’t give the brand name.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #9

Someone probably makes that fuel pump for Onan, you should able to find a brand name aftermarket pump. As to cost, I don't know. That said, I would go through the step amosnandy outlined to make sure you know what the problem is. Replacing parts is a very expensive way to troubleshoot. Your money, your rig. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
When I got my used MH the genny would quit after 30 or so minutes. I took it to my local small engine guy and he said the pump was quitting so I put a new pump on and no problems since other than a bad carb after sitting for several years before I bought it. A new carb from Onan was ridiculous but that's the way having fun goes. It sat all winter without getting run and on the second start this spring it fired right up and kept running so as far as I'm concerned this thing about excursing it every 30 days is phooey.
Just think how dry those cylinder walls are after sitting 6 months without any oil being pumped to them. And if you have good gas, or use staybil it does not turn to varnish, but most gas has alcohol in it these days, and that will evaporate first. Nope, I start mine once a month. 20 minutes with the ac or heat, water heater so I'm drawing 20 amps. Up to temp, full bowl of fresh fuel and I know I'm good.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
It's possible you have a bad pump. But, when the pump is quitting are you running two AC's at the same time? I had the same problem with my Onan 5500 and it turned out to be a start capacitor in the rear AC unit was bad. You could hear the generator strain, slow down and then it'd quit running.
If you run your generator and it quits again, quickly push the 'Prime' button and see if you can hear the pump run. If it doesn't run, chances are the pump is overheating and seizing.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:03 AM   #12

Onan fuel pump issues are very common, especially on the 4000 once they get past 3-5 years old. They start seizing up when they get hot, but work again after cooling down. I had that issue on my last class C and replaced it with an aftermarket pump from Amazon. I would not buy another OEM pump.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:07 PM   #13

I used an aftermarket pump it lasted 2 hrs then went with the OEM no issues.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #14

I know the pump may not be bad, but the filter is attached to it and it would easily come off as an assembly. I live a half hour away from anything, so Amazon is my go-to store. I'm just going to replace both at the same time instead of dragging it out for an extra week or so if one or the other doesn't fix it. I would rather throw the extra 30-40 bucks at it and save the potential hassle.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, onan, pump