Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Any input on Leao Tires?

Hi, I have a 2002 Bounder 33R (Workhorse chassis). I have had the unit for the last 3 years, after purchasing it from the initial owner.

We have 245/70R19 Samson Tires on the unit that were new just after purchase of the RV. They only have about 10K012K miles on them. After our last long trip (Rushmore/Yellowstone/Etc) last month, I noticed some cracking on the sidewalls 2-3 of the 6 tires about an inch away from the rim. I had been doing my best to keep from having tire issues (covering tires, leaving unit high on level jacks during storage, using the unit frequently), but things happen. I contacted Samson and we are working through the warranty process. They have been very cooperative in this process. The thing is, I was asked to work through a company in San Antonio (I am in Austin). The S.A. Company rep. was initially going to work with me an put Roadmaster tires (Cooper) on the unit, as there is a delay/issues with Samson. I was told this morning that the RM tires would take a while to get here and that he has changed over an ordered Leao tires to put on the unit, after talking with the Samson rep. and that they will come in this afternoon and they will install tomorrow morning.
I looked up Leao tires, which appears to be a Canadian company. I am assuming that he is replacing it with the Leao 245/70-R19.5 F820.
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with these tires, before I go spend any money accepting them and having them installed?
THanks
Larry
Size Ply Rate Pattern Tread Depth Load Index & Speed Rating Standard Rim Inflated Section Width Inflated Overall Diameter Max Load Inflated Pressure mm 32nd mm Inch mm Inch kg lbs kpa
245/70R19.5
F820
129/127M
1850/1750
4078/3858
660/660
ldswofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Larry,
It appears that even though it's a Canadian company the tires themselves are manufactured in China by The Linglong group. I've never heard of them. That doesn't mean much, but I suppose my biggest concern would be how readily available are those tires across the country if you need to get a replacement due to a tire failure, and then there's the whole discussion of tires made in China vs elsewhere. How long of a delay are the road master tires? Can you just wait a few weeks or so for those?
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #3

Thanks

Kirk,
I thought about that. I am 'assured' by the S.A. Company rep that they are 'easily' available. I wondered about Samson Tires in the first place and was also assured that they were well made tires without issues (just like the Leao tires are without issues). The thing is, most tires today do come out of 2-3 plant in China (right?), so who's to know if they will stand up or not. The RM tires are from Cooper, but are produced in a plant in China also.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldswofford View Post
Kirk,
I thought about that. I am 'assured' by the S.A. Company rep that they are 'easily' available. I wondered about Samson Tires in the first place and was also assured that they were well made tires without issues (just like the Leao tires are without issues). The thing is, most tires today do come out of 2-3 plant in China (right?), so who's to know if they will stand up or not. The RM tires are from Cooper, but are produced in a plant in China also.
Are they going to work with you on all 6 tires or just the 3 with the cracking problem? My buddy and I both put on the same Samson tire that you have a couple years ago and I couldn't find any complaints for those tires. His coach had a set of china tires that were 8 years old and they still looked very good, no cracking or anything. I sold my coach but he still has his and haven't noticed anything yet. Check the load range and speed rating on those cooper tires, if memory severs me right the speed rating wasn't for extended use, at least the ones I was looking at.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

Yes, there definitely are lots of tires made in China for sure. I have some Double Coin tires on my RV and have had no trouble with them, but I guess I'd just be Leary with something that I've never heard of or seen on anything. I didn't realize cooper tires were made in China. I thought that was a US manufactured product.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

I looked at the load rating/speed rating for the tire... unfortunately, until the S.A. Rep calls me back, I won't know which version he ordered, since he did that before he told me. He is supposed to call me, once they arrive. I know that in 245/70r19.5, they have the F820, which is probably what he ordered... but it comes in a 12ply and a 14 ply... the 12 Ply won't cover the GVRW of the RV (a smidge under 26K lbs)...so it needs to be at least the 14 ply...which is a load index of 133 and a speed index of 131M. An additional concern is the the Samson tires had 19/32nds of tread new and the Leao only has 16.5/32nds of tread new.

BTW, Charlie... they are replacing all 6 tires.... even though I told them I could only see cracking on 3 of the 6 tires...as I couldn't really check the inside rear tires.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

Availability is a concern, last year my road service could not locate a Michelin when I had a blow out south of Chattanooga Tn.. I had to take what they could locate which was Goodyear.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you get a GVWR of 26K in a 33 foot RV on 19.5 inch tires?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Availability is a concern, last year my road service could not locate a Michelin when I had a blow out south of Chattanooga Tn.. I had to take what they could locate which was Goodyear.
This tracks directly back to the thread on spare tires / wheels. Once you leave home, you can't always get what you want but there is always time to get it before you leave.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #10

Rockwood27,
You got me.... I put that in from memory....and, as we age, memory is faulty. I went out this morning to check things in the RV before leaving this morning and it is actually 20,700 Lbs... not 26,000...
I think I was thinking about a Class A that I had recently looked at as a possible 'upgrade'...
Larry
Old 08-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

Chinese ST trailer tires have a very bad reputation. I had some on a 5th wheel and changed all four after one came apart. Don't know about how they are on MHs, but I wouldn't buy any.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
Community Moderator

i heard you can get any grade of anything in china for however much you want to pay... the wisdom is as only as it is sold by a reputable company you will be fine.

i just googled linglong tire, it says the manufacturer is the 3rd largest tire company in china (an independent ranking site ranks it as 2nd), one of top 20 tire companies in the world in terms of sales volume. their tires are sold to 180 countries with about 60 oe brands... probably we don't know if the tires on our coaches with sound brands were actually made by them

Profile_About Linglong_Linglong tire official website (Stock Code: 601966)

the ranking site phb gives it a 2nd place after delta tire. the 3rd place is double coin.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't know about those tires! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the input and the responses.

I went ahead and drove to San Antonio today and had the Leao (Lingllong) tires installed. The tires appear to be decent. They are 14 ply tires and (assuming I am reading the charts right), they are 81mph speed rated (which I will never drive this puppy at anywhere near 81 mpg unless I am running away from a meteor, hurricane, or zombie apocalypse!). Weight-wise, my coach is well within the specs, so we should be good there. During the 65 mile drive home, I didn't notice any real additional noise, or bouncing, although I could have imagined a slight increase in the need to do steering corrections...but we will see as things progress.

I do have to say, while it took a little while to work out the Samson warranty stuff with the Samson rep in Houston, his connected rep in San Antonio, that person's handover to Standard Tire (for installation), and then Standard's handover of the actual tires to Martinez Tire for the actual installation of the tires. I also had Martinez install new (longer) valve stems on the front tires, so that I will be able to easily install/maintain TPMS flow through sensors for my TST 507....to monitor the tires....

All in all, so far, so good... but we will have to see how the Leao tires wear/ride as we get miles on them...hopefully they will turn out to be a good surprise...

Now, if I can figure out why my generator wants to keep shutting off after a few minutes with the A/C on...

Tags
tires