Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Okay, if all else fails, jump on I-5 and drive erratically at about 70 mph until you get stopped by an Oregon State Trooper, then ask them to verify.
We were passing a police officer sitting in his car to run his lights for construction. My first comment was 'well if you have nothing better to do, let me stop and have you fill out this form"
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #16

rayza, I'm very confused as to what you are trying to do. What state is it currently registered in during this time you plan to keep it out of CA? Seems a bit hard to believe you'd buy it and store it off-hwy for a year to avoid paying the sales/use tax.

If it is registered, have that jurisdiction send something to CA with the date you want the registration changed over telling CA DMV that when you get the proper registration to bring it into CA, you will have a CA VIN verification done. Even in CA most Peace officers are not trained to do the form. It requires knowledge of various vehicle type codes that are no common to basic law enforcement training. All out of state vehicles being registered in CA require that document. Request they issue you a Temporary Operating Permit (after payment of fees). These are for short time frames, they certainly won't give you one to operate for a year out of state.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
rayza, I'm very confused as to what you are trying to do. What state is it currently registered in during this time you plan to keep it out of CA? Seems a bit hard to believe you'd buy it and store it off-hwy for a year to avoid paying the sales/use tax.

If it is registered, have that jurisdiction send something to CA with the date you want the registration changed over telling CA DMV that when you get the proper registration to bring it into CA, you will have a CA VIN verification done. Even in CA most Peace officers are not trained to do the form. It requires knowledge of various vehicle type codes that are no common to basic law enforcement training. All out of state vehicles being registered in CA require that document. Request they issue you a Temporary Operating Permit (after payment of fees). These are for short time frames, they certainly won't give you one to operate for a year out of state.
Because I am a resident of the state of CA and I have insurance for it in CA, it is required to be registered in CA. No other state I have found will allow me to register it until and unless I become a resident of that state.

So it will be registered in the state of CA. I do not plan to store it off-hwy for a year, I plan on driving around the United States and visiting this beautiful country (minus California). By doing this, I do not have to pay CA State Sales/Use Tax and I have already been granted an exception for this by the Tax Board.

I have a 10 day OR trip permit, similar to the one you mention in CA for Temporary Operating Permit. This expires on 3/14. Even if I get one from CA to operate it out of state, as you mentioned it still will not be for a year, so at some point I have to get it registered in CA and will have to still figure out how to get a valid CA VIN Verification done without physically bringing it into the state of CA.
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 AM   #18

If I understand correctly, you want to register your rv in California without paying sales tax in California.

I don't see how you can accomplish this regardless of where the unit is physically located.

Can you pay the tax, get your registration issued, then apply for a refund from the Tax Board?

My experience with California is that they will get their pound of flesh.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:09 AM   #19

Create an LLC and register it in OR, MT, or elsewhere for a year. Not your first choice, but maybe the best one under the circumstances. The LLC will be a resident in whichever state it's formed, which will allow you to title/register outside of CA. Disclaimer: IANAL.

Someone in another thread suggested calling a 3rd party register. It might be worth a try. I tried registering a CA titled car in another state and was getting nowhere until I went to a 3rd party register. They were happy to find a way to say yes while the state kept finding ways to say no.
rv7630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 AM   #20

How far are you from the California border? Drop down I5 into California and have it done.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #21

Can't you register it as an undocumented vehicle? RV Sanctuary city? Was is San Diego where I saw pics of RVs parked nose to tail on both sides of the roadway?

Just trying to bring a smile to the frustrated OP....
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Maybe you could get a second temporary trip permit from the state of Oregon and wait for the state patrol on 3/28 to sign off on your VIN. If this is a newly purchased vehicle from a dealer then the dealer could maybe issue a second trip permit themselves so you wouldn't have to involve the Oregon DMV. I recently had an Arizona dealer offer to give me a 2nd trip permit if I needed some more time to get my Washington state title and registration done without traveling to Washington.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #23

Not an RV but on a boat trailer that came with the boat I bought from OR.
Even though I had the OR title and license plate, Ca DMV required the CHP locate the second TIN because the sticker on the front tongue was faded and part of the numbers were illegible.

Not a problem being CHP shared the same building so I walked over but was told the officer who does the verification was on vacation until the end of the month. Went home and contacted the next nearest CHP office and was told that being I reside in a different county, they will not do the verification..WHAT??? .
Had no other choice but to wait.

Once the officer returned he told me that there isn't a second TIN location and told that many times to DMV . He signed off on the paperwork.

Moral of the story to the OP is that you may have to jump thru the same hoop on your RV and have CHP verify the VIN here in CA.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #24

As I see it you have wasted way too much time making PHONE Calls vs going in in person to the Police/Sheriff Stations and/or the Local DMV office in town \\

Phone Calls with your situation do NOT result in action..........talking with a Supervisor in person face to face is a better approach when trying to accomplish something out of the norm.

Tick-tock........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Okay, if all else fails, jump on I-5 and drive erratically at about 70 mph until you get stopped by an Oregon State Trooper, then ask them to verify.
I drove from Vancouver, WA to Eugene OR on Sunday and from there back on Monday. Only saw one state trooper the whole 4+ hours and he was on the opposite side and had someone stopped.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #26

California's funny about registration for an out of state vehicle. They require that you must bring that vehicle to motor vehicle department so they can visually match the vin before they will issue a registration sticker and title. When I bought my Lotus from Massachusetts I had to do the same.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
California's funny about registration for an out of state vehicle. They require that you must bring that vehicle to motor vehicle department so they can visually match the vin before they will issue a registration sticker and title. When I bought my Lotus from Massachusetts I had to do the same.
Florida requires a VIN check too. The clerk came out for the toad and MH. We used the affidavit for our pickup, because it was up in NY. I used my sons ( retired NYPD ) badge # and signed his name. Its just for the file, unless something goes wrong with the VIN.

When I changed my license, I didn't have enough proof of residency. I self verified that I lived here. They offered the form and said I could.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #28

After we bought our MH in CA from a private party, I had to take it to OR DMV for VIN verification before registration. I guess it is a requirement in many states.

I do know that different DMV employees can see the same thing differently in CA. This is from an experience I had possibly 20 years ago with a grandson I had given a car to to replace his that had been stolen in San Diego. He was going to school there. The details are vague, but I believe the title was still in the name of the person that I bought it from, but had been signed by him. The DMV in San Diego would not issue a new title in his name. In desperation he came back home and we went to the DMV in Yreka, CA. We told the lady at the DMV there the story and she had no problem at all completing the transaction. She made a comment something like, some of these DMV employees think they're law enforcement. My point is that perhaps you haven't talked to the right person yet.

Can you get another trip permit?

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat