Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #1

Any other Class A owners here under 50 years old??

I am 48 and when I went into Camping world I felt like a 10 year old in a bar. Some of the people there thought I was an employee. I guess I don't fit the demographics for the coach I drive, and that was made clear when an older lady (as in older than my mother) came up to the driver window asking if "I" needed direction when parked near my mother in laws house.

Is their a Class A young and still dumb group out there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yup...we're here. We started fulltiming in our class A just before turning 40. Have met many folks on the road younger than us too. We're out there!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Bee950,
I am 66 and feel the same way! I still think like I am 48, or younger, if you ask my wife. I think the lifestyle keeps most of us young... at heart anyway.

Many of the folks out there have been doing it for years and started out in their forties or younger I suppose, but I think the price point for these coaches is now keeping many young families in smaller rigs.

Enjoy your early start and have a ball!
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

We are barely turning 40 and have the same experience! We are not full timers but dry camp a lot so we run into more of the longer term campers and full timers!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Im 40. Get it all the time too. Matter of fact where we frequently camp people assume Im borrowing "my parents" rig...lol.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #6

I'm 41 now and my Wife (Ginger) is 40. We have had our Winnebago for a year now.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just turned 50, wife 45 and twins 12. We factory ordered a Discovery 39S in 07 because we couldn't find a DP with two couches that made into beds up front. Did not want bunks, hate them, they always put them less than one inch from the adult living quarters! We were asked several times if it was our parents coach too. We just traded in a couple weeks ago for an 12' American Coach Revolution....so we love the class A traveling. We may only use it 30 days a year, but it is worth every hard working penny. We meet so many nice people on the road, and a few that seem to think it is their duty to judge us with comments such as "why do you need something that big" or one I remember, "I hope you are not telling your kids this is camping", and my favourite from a family next to us in a tent trailer, "thanks for blocking our view and making my wife depressed".
lmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #8

We are 35 and 36 with 2 girls 5 and & 15. Bought our coach 2 years ago And often think we should had done it sooner.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
We are in the 40something group. We have been on the road for the past several months and have noticed that there is no "normal" as to who is RVing.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're in the under 50 group as well - I just turned 46 and the DW is ..uuuhhh younger than me, but catching up. We bought our first "new to us" motorhome this past summer and have been travelling with our two 4 legged kids since June.

We used to tent camp when our children were younger, and at the time always dreamed about having a Class A - that would have made our camping trips so much easier back then. We had 2 dogs back then as well and it would take 2 cars packed with stuff for us all to head out on a camping adventure. Now, we keep the motorhome fully stocked with everything we need to make our life comfortable on the road.

Now that we have *just* become Grandparents -eek- in the last couple of weeks, we're looking forward to the day when we can pickup our grandson and take him with us on our camping adventures.

Like some of you have noted - we too occasionally get the odd stare or question when we climb out of the MH - typically when we are fueling up or out with the motorhome shopping or stocking up. More times than not, it's similar to "Is that your's?" I guess they must think it's our parents or grandparents motorhome.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #11

I haven't noticed anyone looking at me any differently than they already do.
Having 7 kids usually minimizes any doubt of my sanity or wealth.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I wish we had done this in our 30's or 40's. Good for you. We see all age groups in our travels and are able to sit around and enjoy talking to whoever, regardless of age. You young folks help keep us more mature(?) folks young.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once was, been doing this now for 37 years. Bought the 1st class A at 35, TC and TT before that.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought ours when I was 49 & DW was 51. Sometimes I feel like I don't quite fit in with the age difference that is evident more than not. But we always are treated as though we are just one of the crowd even if we are 10-20 years younger than the majority of folks in the rv parks we seem to end up in. One difference we have from most of these folks is my DW is full timing while I commute back & forth to the stick house & job. I think people who see me come & go every other week just wonder whats going on over there.