Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quite the load........for the JK....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We do have a parking area for that here, you'd need a way to get it there. You would not be able to get your coach into the trailer parking area. If someone here has a vehicle that can move it you'd no doubt be offered help.
That is good to know Jay! When we unload the JK, the Harley has to go clear to the back of the trailer for "counter weight", then hook it up to the JK, and it moves the trailer just fine(tongue weight OK)
We will be back someday, it was the most relaxing,quite,secluded,scenic, enjoyable, resort we have ever been to, so far....... loved the "train horn" out of the quite!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06486.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	63891  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #30

My 30' HR Admiral has no problem with the 25' inclosed trailer to haul the T Bucket for unloading and seeing the surrounding area........i.e. the Mississippi River............I always found a pull tru that I could stay hooked up to the trailer for the trip to Florida & back.......The good thing is my car stays clean and I can back up any time I want to............

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2642.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	63966   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2689.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	533.6 KB
ID:	63967  

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #31

We have always trailered our autocross cars. However, our length is not as long as yours and we rarely have any trouble finding a 50 ft. pull through site. I suggest getting one of the big rigs directory to assist in finding campgrounds with longer sites. And, there's always the phone call to see if a long site is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am leaning toward buying a car trailer so we can take our Jeep and our Harley's with us on vacation. For those of you that tow a car trailer, what kind of problems have you run into with the added length? I am thinking of places we have been, and wondering where we are going to park the trailer. Most of the even larger pull through sites I have been in will not handle a large Coach and a 30' trailer(65-70'). Any info. on your experiences would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1029.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	63969  
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #32

28 y/o gasser, rolls right along.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
I hope this is "on thread" - When we purchased our 2000 32' Winnie the seller gave us an unused Ultra-Tow car dolly. We are debating whether to use it or go four down. What are the issues with front-wheel vs. rear-wheel drive toads relative to dolly towing and four-down vs. dolly towing? Thanks.

One good reason to avoid using a tow dolly:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401208971.207253.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	1,000.9 KB
ID:	63979

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401209032.788104.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	1,001.8 KB
ID:	63980

This happened to a friend in Branson MO in April. He was fortunate that the campground had a front end loader! He sold the dolly as soon as he got back home!

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
One good reason to avoid using a tow dolly:

Attachment 63979
Attachment 63980

This happened to a friend in Branson MO in April. He was fortunate that the campground had a front end loader! He sold the dolly as soon as he got back home!

Yea, the dolly's fault
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're correct, it was the driver's fault. That being said, it is far easier to tow 4 wheels down, even if you need to modify your toad, than use a dolly.

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Warning

THE FLAT TOW vs. DOLLY TOW issue has been BEAT TO DEATH.
There are Pro's and Con's for each

BUT it is OFF TOPIC HERE.

Please get back on-topic - Car Trailer behind a Class A.

Thanks for understanding.

Your Forum Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #37

I have a smashed in roof ladder at the rear of my MH when the trailer tongue mounted toolbox contacted it. It happened at the local Shell gas station where only the end island has diesel. I was hoping to get in and out quick but everyone wanted to go to the damn mini mart. There was no way to make the left turn and not smash into the pump. So I waited for 1/2 hour and tried to escape right by pulling through the parking spaces but people wouldn't cooperate and I was forced to back up- and there went the ladder.

To say you never have problems at gas stations with excess length means you must not go to any urban gas stations with the new traffic control driveways, one way in and out. Damn nuisance when that's all there is and you're desperate for diesel. I was just at the new Circle K and it's looks doubtful I could make in and out with my pickup and car trailer, much less a MH. It looks like there is less than 20 feet between the end of the pump island and the front of the mini-mart. And if customers are parked...
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
I have a smashed in roof ladder at the rear of my MH when the trailer tongue mounted toolbox contacted it. It happened at the local Shell gas station where only the end island has diesel. I was hoping to get in and out quick but everyone wanted to go to the damn mini mart. There was no way to make the left turn and not smash into the pump. So I waited for 1/2 hour and tried to escape right by pulling through the parking spaces but people wouldn't cooperate and I was forced to back up- and there went the ladder.

To say you never have problems at gas stations with excess length means you must not go to any urban gas stations with the new traffic control driveways, one way in and out. Damn nuisance when that's all there is and you're desperate for diesel. I was just at the new Circle K and it's looks doubtful I could make in and out with my pickup and car trailer, much less a MH. It looks like there is less than 20 feet between the end of the pump island and the front of the mini-mart. And if customers are parked...
That is why I like Murphy Oil (Walmart) they put the Diesel pumps on the end islands. Easier to get through. But I still prefer truck stops.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, towing