Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any Thoughts on Kirkland (Costco) oil

My Costco no longer carries Delo diesel oil....they now carry Kirkland.
I have not looked at the SAE ratting, but I assume it is good.

Does anyone think this oil would be a problem?

Thanks,

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

It meets the Cummins engine requirements. I sure like the price better then the Shell Rotella T4 I've been using. I bought some, hope it's as good.
FC901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #3

I'm told it's made for them by Mobil.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Have you looked into SuperTech, carried by Walmart? It also meets Cummins and Cat engine requirements. $20 for 2 gallons. I don't know how that compares in price to Kirkland.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #5

Really like Delo oil, made by Chevron. You can get it most anywhere, all the auto parts chains have it at competitive prices.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #6

I ran across this post recently about several of their store branded products including oil.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-brand...000800481.html

From the article... "Warren Oil Company is speculated to be the manufacturer behind Walmart’s Super Tech and Amazon’s AmazonBasics motor oils, but we can confirm it supplies the Kirkland variety. Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil displays its maker in fine print on the back of the jug: “Manufactured by Warren Distribution, Inc.” "
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverofcode View Post
"Warren Oil Company is speculated to be the manufacturer behind Walmart’s Super Tech and Amazon’s AmazonBasics motor oils, but we can confirm it supplies the Kirkland variety.
Ooo, the Costco clerk lied to me.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Not for sure about Kirkland oil, but the Kirkland golf balls are awesome!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFire Junkies View Post
Not for sure about Kirkland oil, but the Kirkland golf balls are awesome!
You put golf balls in the crankcase????
Sorry, I couldn't help myself, "the devil made me do it!"
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
This is not a new Dynamic at Costco......In many cases they are forced to re-brand many items under the Kirkland brand because their pricing model will completely destroy the Brands ability to sell through alternate channels.

It started more than 15 years ago with Whirlpool appliances, now Kirkland, and list goes on.......ALL the Kirkland branded products I have used over the years have been top-notch and I'll try their oil next time I change the 25 qts in my pusher
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
My Costco no longer carries Delo diesel oil....they now carry Kirkland.
I have not looked at the SAE ratting, but I assume it is good.
Time for some background on oil testing.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has tested oil VISCOSITY (how quickly it pours at certain temperatures) for over 50 years. 40-50 years ago, that is all you need to know. It was not unusual for high performance engines to use 20W-50 oil.

But viscosity quickly became a poor indicator of oil performance. Along came the American Petroleum Industry (API). They were asked by some car manufacturers to develop of test that would prove that certain oils would provide adequate lubrication for specific engines. These "grades" are called Service Classification. Every few years for the past 30 or so years, new tests were added. Some test for piston scuff on certain engines, some test for cam lobe wear. The absolute latest for gasoline engines as of May 2020 (which means that there are probably NO oils on the market yet that meet this Service Classification) is SP. From the API web page
Quote:
Originally Posted by API
...designed to provide protection against low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), timing chain wear protection, improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, and more stringent sludge and varnish control. API SP with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-6A by combining API SP performance with improved fuel economy, emission control system protection and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.
SN oil is widely available and should be fine.

What is important is that all of this testing was for GASOLINE engines. These Service Classifications start with the letter "C" (Combustion ignition instead of Spark ignition). The current API Service classification is CK.

Always refer to your owners manual (GM for a short period of time did not recommend API certified oils, but that went back). You can ALWAYS use a higher service classification oil on an older engine. This true even on old small engines (detergent oils will NOT hurt old engines, nor will multi-weight oils).

If the Kirkland oil is certified CK, I would buy it.

(Confession - I was an oil snob. Always used Mobil 1. Now I use Walmart Synthetic.)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Time for some background on oil testing.

SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) has tested oil VISCOSITY (how quickly it pours at certain temperatures) for over 50 years. 40-50 years ago, that is all you need to know. It was not unusual for high performance engines to use 20W-50 oil.

But viscosity quickly became a poor indicator of oil performance. Along came the American Petroleum Industry (API). They were asked by some car manufacturers to develop of test that would prove that certain oils would provide adequate lubrication for specific engines. These "grades" are called Service Classification. Every few years for the past 30 or so years, new tests were added. Some test for piston scuff on certain engines, some test for cam lobe wear. The absolute latest for gasoline engines as of May 2020 (which means that there are probably NO oils on the market yet that meet this Service Classification) is SP. From the API web page

SN oil is widely available and should be fine.

What is important is that all of this testing was for GASOLINE engines. These Service Classifications start with the letter "C" (Combustion ignition instead of Spark ignition). The current API Service classification is CK.

Always refer to your owners manual (GM for a short period of time did not recommend API certified oils, but that went back). You can ALWAYS use a higher service classification oil on an older engine. This true even on old small engines (detergent oils will NOT hurt old engines, nor will multi-weight oils).

If the Kirkland oil is certified CK, I would buy it.

(Confession - I was an oil snob. Always used Mobil 1. Now I use Walmart Synthetic.)
EDIT : If your engine can use this weight oil, this looks like a steal !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	293040  
Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Not to beat a horse, but the Walmart brand is less expensive, a bit less than $10 a gallon, Costco is $11 a gallon. And as said above, made by the same folks.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
A true oil snob uses Amsoil and puts Amsoil stickers all over his equipment and talks about it incessantly. A Mobil 1 user is simply informed.