Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

Any veteran advice before I buy this 1999 National RV Tropi-cal 6370?

Howdy all!

My family of 4 has done numerous trips in our current Viking popup camper and we've decided it's time to move up. The effort involved in packing up/collapsing the camper has proven laborious & burdensome, and we find ourselves modifying travel plans because of that. By pure chance, a relative we were visiting last week on our roadtrip happens to be selling an RV and we jumped at the opportunity to check it out.

So we now have the opportunity to purchase his 1999 National RV Tropi-cal 6370 for a "family discount price" of only $10k. I did many hours of research the day prior and was able to inspect the coach fairly extensively over about 90 minutes. The owner was out of town that day so I had to quiz his son for any answers I needed.

Here's a summary of the coach's condition:

Basics
37' coach
Single slide out
Tag rear axle
Owner (trusted relative) states that everything functions well

Power
48k miles (Triton V10 engine)
5500 watt generator (unknown hours, visibly quite dirty)
New AC recently installed
Per owner's son, water pump may need to be replaced

Exterior
Tires in excellent condition
Suspension was free of leaks, bushings appear to be cracking
Axles showed no leaks or obvious issues
Hydraulic levelers are dirty but functioning properly
Moderate rust in/around water pump bay
Some minor rust in other bays
Most seals appear to be in reasonably good condition
Paint/decals have seen better days
Windshield has a small crack (far above driver's view, approx. 6" in length)
One crack in the outer shell between a window and vent (see pictures)
Roof seals appear to need replacement soon
Roof generally showed
Awnings function but appear to be fairly worn & dirty

Interior
No obvious signs of leaks (I checked corners, joints and seems throughout)
Appliances working as expected
Corian countertops in good shape
Carpet & furniture need replacing (we would do this anyway)
Some light fixtures broken or missing (plan to upgrade anyway)
Overall very dated and in need of updates (which I don't see as a negative)

Unknowns
Slide out - Because the owner wasn't present, I wasn't able to witness the slide out functioning. But based on his word and my own visual inspection of the mechanics, I trust it is in good working order.
Test drive - I also wasn't able to drive it yet but would do that before committing to purchase it.

Questions
1. What have I overlooked?
2. Any common issues for a coach of this age?
...and most importantly...
3. Does your gut tell you $10,000 is a good value for this coach?

Thanks in advance for any insights or advice you can provide!

empirenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally, for our usage, Tire age is more important than tread. Tires that show UV cracking, or 8-10 years old are generally ready to be replaced.

Here is a checklist I use for the Ford F53 of that year:

F53 inspection / maintenance checklist – 1999 Southwind 35S

If you are a DIYer, 10k seems like a reasonable price. If you need to pay to get stuff fixed, this could be a money pit.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Generally, for our usage, Tire age is more important than tread. Tires that show UV cracking, or 8-10 years old are generally ready to be replaced.
Yeah, great point and I did take that into account. The tires didn't show any cracking and the rubber looked to be a couple years old if I had to guess.

Quote:
Here is a checklist I use for the Ford F53 of that year:

F53 inspection / maintenance checklist – 1999 Southwind 35S
Thanks for this, super helpful!

Quote:
If you are a DIYer, 10k seems like a reasonable price. If you need to pay to get stuff fixed, this could be a money pit.
Luckily I am very much a DIYer and actually look forward to a project like this. I definitely expect major repairs to arise in the coming years but the rest is basically a hobby for me.

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

It looks quite solid underneath. Check the date codes on the tires, only way to know for sure. If you're handy, I say go for it. The only thing that would make me unsure is the crack in the fiberglass, while not extremely hard to repair, I wonder how it happened and make sure the wall is solid and not what caused it (internal water damage etc..) Expect another 5-10K in updates depending on how far you want to go. With that being said, there isn't much you can buy for 20K and you'll know what you have.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #5

10 K is not a lot of money, you'd pay that much for a good sedan that seats 4
:>) like others said ,be prepared to be a DIY guy. Make sure you have an emergency cash fund for unexpected repairs. Good luck to ya

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might investigate an extended service contract. Probably 6 companies or so, have been recommended on this forum. You should get an exclusionary contract with seals and gasket option. Don't get a parts named contract. We bought an US Warranty Corp contract Eagle Plus........which has LOTS of options. Have not yet used it. It is essentially an insurance policy.....like home owners, auto, medical, EQ, life, etc.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
It looks quite solid underneath. Check the date codes on the tires, only way to know for sure. If you're handy, I say go for it. The only thing that would make me unsure is the crack in the fiberglass, while not extremely hard to repair, I wonder how it happened and make sure the wall is solid and not what caused it (internal water damage etc..) Expect another 5-10K in updates depending on how far you want to go. With that being said, there isn't much you can buy for 20K and you'll know what you have.
This. That crack would be my biggest concern. Rust looks more like surface rust. Those slide out toppers can be replaced at a reasonable cost.
Hopefully owner/relative can give you a good idea as to maintenance performed. Hopefully it has been used/driven recently (withing the last year).
Sounds like a great price.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #8

As others have said the crack would be my concern. East to fix for a DIY’er but will it keep coming back. Due to location it may. Do some research by googling like units for sale but 1999 it just doesn’t seem like much of a discount
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Since you're a DIY guy I would say it's a good buy, assuming the test drive doesn't reveal any other problems. Check the slideout carefully and check the code dates on the tires.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
That crack says something is going on in the refrigerator compartment. Look carefully for water damage in and around the frig and also that window.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Just a caution. Look inside of cabinets for evidence of roof leaks. That step is easy to forget.

Also, get the tire date codes to determine age. Visual condition is not necessarily accurate for a heavy vehicle.

I have the impression from years ago that National built some very solid rigs about that vintage.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
That crack says something is going on in the refrigerator compartment. Look carefully for water damage in and around the frig and also that window.
Thanks for this, it hadn't crossed my mind. I'll definitely do some more investigation on the fridge next time I see it!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Just a caution. Look inside of cabinets for evidence of roof leaks. That step is easy to forget.

Also, get the tire date codes to determine age. Visual condition is not necessarily accurate for a heavy vehicle.

I have the impression from years ago that National built some very solid rigs about that vintage.
I did briefly check the interior of the cabinets & closets for leaks and nothing caught my eye, but I'll be sure to use a flashlight next time.

Quote:
Exactly the kind of anecdotal veteran info I was hoping for, much appreciated!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #14

Ten years is considered max for rv tires. Check the date codes since you'll be looking at eight tires at something like 3-5 hundred dollars each.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, advice, national, veteran