Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, I have used fabric paint with great results. I was restoring a 95 Miata and the carpet and seats had color issues. So I used fabric paint thinking it would be a temporary solution until I had the time to redo each. The results were good enough that I never took the next step!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #16

An apprentice millwright was told to go to the mill store and bring back a can of black and yellow striped spray paint for a project they were finishing up. He was gone for hours, being told to go here, or there, as they were all out of that special paint. He did not realize he was had until about noon.
This happened when I was working at the same paper mill, same shift.

Sorry if this confuses some of our readership.....

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVFISHN View Post
I know, it sounds silly but they actually make fabric/carpet paint. Questions is, The ceiling in my Class A is carpet. There are several water stains from previous leaks and I want to cover them up. I have been thinking about using this fabric paint and was wondering if anybody has ever used it.

If it works, I may do the floor carpet as there are some stains on it as well...
We used it on the ceiling "carpet". Bad mistake, it hardens and causes the carpet "pile" to break off in small pieces when accidentally brushed. It did cover-up the stain though.
Were we to do it again, I would make a paste of OxyClean and water, rub into the carpet, allow to dry, then vacuum the dry stuff off.

BTW, there is a difference between paint and stain/dye, just as for wood.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ooooo - I see this as a mess waiting to happen... On the floor - maybe... On the ceiling - not a chance....

Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the old carpet and replace it wit totally new carpet??? That way you'd have brand new carpet.... Actually would be much easier I'd think.... Withe the new glues available it would be a simple task to put up new carpet...

Just my unsolicited opinion .... lol....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ceiling carpet is actually bleached carpet. To clean is easy. Mix 20% bleach with 80% water. Spray the carpet until wet but not enough to drip. Have a second person hold a large towel under the spray area to catch any drips or mist. I have done about a hundred. Most came out looking great. A few were so stained they did not come out well.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
After almost 49 years of marital bliss I have had the "Or else" treatment 309 times. I'm a slow learner.
I like your approach in cleaning and removing the stains. We have dyed carpets mainly due to sun damage to carpeting especially in convertible top cars.
Lynn
309 huh ?

If my wife had to "Or else" me 309 times, I don't think I'd call that marital bliss. But that's just me.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
After almost 49 years of marital bliss I have had the "Or else" treatment 309 times. I'm a slow learner.
I like your approach in cleaning and removing the stains. We have dyed carpets mainly due to sun damage to carpeting especially in convertible top cars.
Lynn
Lets see, 309 times of getting the "or else" look divided by 49 years (Congratulations by the way!!!) works out to be a smidgen over once every 2 months. Not bad, not bad at all!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #22

Paint carpet ? or should I say dye carpet....BAD IDEA. Carpets are dyed in different methods, beck or kuster, differential, print, pigment, stock, skein, space, solution , post and pre...ect. Different fibers are dyed different ways. POINT IS... BAD IDEA
Not all carpets are going to accept your new dye the same, depending on what they are (Fiber content) and how they were originally dyed, and if they don't accept the dye, the dye is coming right off on your feet, socks and anything that comes in contact with it forever. I would replace it with new carpet, you will be much happier with those results.
Krutzmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #23

Have it clean by a professional with HOT WATER EXTRACTION, the carpet on your ceiling is likely made out of polypropylene or known as olefin, and is the extremely cleanable yarn, commonly used for all outdoor carpets like astro turf. Give it a shot first, it is a solution dyed yard and is very colorfast.
you may find it cleans, and chemicals ( like bleach) will not affect it like they would on your floor carpet by removing color, so you can get aggressive with cleaning solutions. Good Luck
Krutzmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, paint