Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #1

Anyone add fresh water tank?

How did you do it? Just researching if I change horses in the middle of the creek and go class A instead of 5er I'm thinking I would add 100 gallons of fresh water for boon docking. Anybody do this? I'm thinking no because searching finds nothing but you never know.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my particular rig there is room under the back end just ahead of the hitch to hang a 100 gallon tank from the frame rails.
You would have to fabricate a strong cradle and then find a tank with the right dimensions to fit in the available space.
Then you would have to run the plumbing up to the front along the frame rails and tie it into the pump, or use a separate pump, and tie it into the sink / bathroom system.
It will take some thinking, but it could be done.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #3

For boondocking, we'll put a 50 gallon drum in one of the box trailers and use a stand alone pump to refil the rigs. if you are camping alone, or don't have a separate trailer, then you may want to look at these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-capac.../dp/B08BXNSX86) water bags. They work very well too, and can be stored un the pass-thru storage bays when full, and then easily put away when empty.

BE CAREFUL WITH THE LARGER ONES... they can be really heavy... and storage bays are typically not designed to carry that kind of weight. It might be better to get a few smaller ones, or simply not fill them to capacity.

Since there isn't a way to put a pump inside them, you may have to use an intermediate 5 gallon water jug (think sparklets) and put the pump in there.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
I'm thinking I would add 100 gallons of fresh water for boon docking.
You would need to add capacity to your black and greywater holding tanks also for boondocking.

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V F53 Chassis
OlyRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRuss View Post
You would need to add capacity to your black and greywater holding tanks also for boondocking.
Why?
Old 09-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Why?
Good question.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #7

when I had an A I added a flexible marine water tank and easily plumbed it into the antifreeze line, worked great, put it in a pass through storage door
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Why?
I am assuming you already have a fresh water tank and the black and greywater capacity are sized appropriately to store that amount of water after you use it. If you add capacity to the fresh water, where will the extra fresh water drain to? Boondocking is generally camping in a self contained mode with no place to dump any grey or black water. Did I misunderstand?

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V F53 Chassis
OlyRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRuss View Post
I am assuming you already have a fresh water tank and the black and greywater capacity are sized appropriately to store that amount of water after you use it. If you add capacity to the fresh water, where will the extra fresh water drain to? Boondocking is generally camping in a self contained mode with no place to dump any grey or black water. Did I misunderstand?
To me boondocking is tent camping with an elaborate tent. The weekly outdoor "parts wash" shower, baby wipes the rest of the week. Number 1 in the bushes and 2 in the composting toilette. Except the minimal outdoor shower all the water goes in me. I don't see any grey or black entering my tanks.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:24 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You could try a water bladder. "Aqua Tank" has some that take very little space while stored. Get yourself a spare water pump and transfer from bladder to on board FW tank.
GPCPL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #11

I didn't think of the bladder thing. I don't know. The tank between the frame rails thing as stated sounds promising. I just thought with all the inventors here someone has to have done this. A tank with its own pump controlled by a switch in the panel where the level lights are would work but maybe someone figured a cool way of automating this. Not that the manual way is a big deal.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:28 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tried to edit my previous post, but it didn't work. I use the water bladder with my setup, and am happy with it. Be careful with the bladder, treat it gently so it will last. If you get a class A, the bladder would be a pain unless you had a towed.
GPCPL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #13

Keep in mind, 100G water weighs 844 lbs. when adding weight to your gross axle and combined weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Keep in mind, 100G water weighs 844 lbs. when adding weight to your gross axle and combined weight.
Yep, wouldn't do it on an ultra lite 5er but a class A should be no problem.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water