Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Excursion 33D

This unit is our first MH, we bought it as a carryover at a discounted price. We had a few bugs to work out of it. We recently returned from a 3700 mile trip and the MH ran perfect. Decent power in the mountains, 9.43 mpg running 68mph on the interstate pulling our Jeep Liberty. We like the floor plan, some of the colors may leave something to be desired. All in all we truly enjoy this MH.

Droski
2014 Excursion 33D
2006 Jeep Liberty
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Took a cross country trip this summer over 5500 miles...one of the units a friend had was a 2014 excursion...we all admired his MPG! Even after turning it up to 340 hp he still averaged just over 10 mpg. We considered trading for a bunkhouse excursion but after looking at it seemed tight...so we stayed with our unit...but our friend traded his excursion for bigger coach...anyone looking for a windshield magna shade for an excursion IM me and I can put you in touch with him.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Other than the tow rating (which is fine for me and towing my car) how do you like your 35B? There's still a few things were working out on our 2014 35C, but overall I'd say we are satisfied.
Hi jondrew. It looks like I never replied to your question back in July (apologies). Aside from all the problems we've had (more than usual), we still like the coach...floorplan, size, etc. all meet our needs! Freightliner has a good service infrastructure and that's a good thing. Fleetwood stood behind their product during the warranty period but I'm sure they were happy to get rid of me when it was over. My dealer continues to be a big help with all the issues, although now the extended warranty company has to take the heat.

I've done my share of complaining about the coach. I continue to have issues but I stopped complaining as it looked like I was just complaining to complain. I still like heading out on the road with it but continue to be apprehensive about what will break next (something fails on every trip). During my latest short trip to Joshua Tree I noticed a coolant leak (here we go again).

Happy travels and hope you and your family have a great 2016!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #60

Interesting new problem on my last trip. Driving north on I-65 in southern TN and all of a sudden every warning light possible comes on and there is a constant buzzer. The transmission selector is also in error mode. I pull over and check the connections behind the dash. All looks tight. I call Freightliner and talk to a tech. He has me check several fuses and is very thorough. At the end of the call he tells me I need to drive to a Freightliner repair facility and have them look at it, but I shouldn't worry about driving it because it would derate everything to save iteself if there was a serious problem. So I drive 400 miles home using my gps for speed and loud rock music to cover the buzzer. Turns out a harness routed abouve the radiator was too long and got into the fan. The fan damaged some wires and caused a short. They fixed it. 18,500 miles over two seasons and still enjoying the rv life. I was interested in jumping into a Dutch Star, but discovered the trade in value of a 2015 33D is only $110k. I think I will enjoy it a few more years.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi jmills, I had the same exact problem (posted pics on this board somewhere). Had to get it flatbed towed to the nearest freightliner shop and they repaired it to get me on the road...then replaced the whole harness front to back. It fell onto he radiator fan and was shredded.

Happy travels!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I have to agree that once you drive a diesel pusher you never go back to gas.... I have the 2015 Excursion and I love everything about the coach. I get great mpg, if I stay around Florida and other flat areas I get 11 to 12 mpg and I just went up to Pennsylvania and I got 10.5. With a 90 gal fuel tank I can get over 1000 miles and that to me is pretty nice. That said, I think the ride could be better, a little more room in the bathroom and a king size bed. Last time I spoke with Allison or Cummins they told me you could flash the software to get more torque but the engine or transmission couldn't handle it. Be careful if I am not mistaking an engine will cost you around 30k. Now after 2.5 years owning ours, we're thinking on Dutch Star 4018 just to have the few things we're looking for. The Excursion is a great coach for first timers.
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Many of these answers are purely personal opinion. What I think rides great, the next guy might think the ride is terrible...and vice versa.

This is an old thread but I Googled Excursions as we're thinking about getting one.

Generally, it would be good to add to the subjective opinions about ride quality and noise with a decibel meter or app. Luxury car reviews, truck reviews, etc use them now quite a bit.

At 55 mph on the highway :

Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR - 55db A weighted. Slow response (typ)

Ford Edge - 57 db A weighted.

2019 Dodge RAM 1500 - 57 db A weighted

Fleetwood Icon 24 A (Mercedes Benz chassis Class C FED) - 78db !!!

Anyone with a decibel meter that can measure their Excursion/Expedition/Pace Arrow DP ? (they changed the name of the Excursion/Expedition to the Pace Arrow now)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
This is an old thread but I Googled Excursions as we're thinking about getting one.

Generally, it would be good to add to the subjective opinions about ride quality and noise with a decibel meter or app. Luxury car reviews, truck reviews, etc use them now quite a bit.

At 55 mph on the highway :

Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR - 55db A weighted. Slow response (typ)

Ford Edge - 57 db A weighted.

2019 Dodge RAM 1500 - 57 db A weighted

Fleetwood Icon 24 A (Mercedes Benz chassis Class C FED) - 78db !!!

Anyone with a decibel meter that can measure their Excursion/Expedition/Pace Arrow DP ? (they changed the name of the Excursion/Expedition to the Pace Arrow now)
If you don't understand DB ratings, this information is of no use. You need to apply context to these numbers or most folks won't get it.

-Kevin
Old 12-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #65

I posted several references :

Ford Edge - 57 db

2019 Dodge RAM 1500 pick up - 57db

These are considered quiet vehicles on the road.

But, O.K....here are a couple more :

Normal conversation - 60 db

Cordless Hand Drill - 78db

A push lawn mower - 90db

A VERY loud rock concert over - 110db

So, if you're Class C measures 78db A weighted on the highway, it's like listening to a cordless hand drill for hours.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #66

My take on these numbers is the noise levels measured inside a moving vehicle will vary with driving conditions. A single measurement doesn’t give much perspective. A big factor I’ve noticed while driving has been wind noise. 65-70mph with a headwind is noticeably loud compared to the opposite. Additionally road surface and condition make very noticeable differences in interior noise. Couple that with the usual body and chassis noises, and there’s a lot of variance in what I notice while driving. A decibel meter might be of passing interest, for trend data, but it’s close to last on my list of curiosities.
Bat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
I posted several references :

Ford Edge - 57 db

2019 Dodge RAM 1500 pick up - 57db

These are considered quiet vehicles on the road.

But, O.K....here are a couple more :

Normal conversation - 60 db

Cordless Hand Drill - 78db

A push lawn mower - 90db

A VERY loud rock concert over - 110db

So, if you're Class C measures 78db A weighted on the highway, it's like listening to a cordless hand drill for hours.
There you go, now we all have relative reference point in the last 4 examples, the two vehicles listed I have never rode in so I have no idea what the values mean.

-Kevin
kfriceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood