Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #15

I added a quick drain valve and drain into cheap 5 gallons buckets with snap on lids. I stop when they are about 80% full. Then throw them in the car and take the used oil to a local auto parts store for recycling. In Washington state they return the containers to you for disposal in the trash. In other states when I've done an oil change I tell them they can keep the buckets.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2022, 09:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
I definitely like that better than the fumoto. Which clicker did you get with yours? Definitely interesting.

To the OP, I change my own oil as well, but I use a cut piece of 55 gallon steel drum and I’ve bent a small pour spout in the edge. It’s difficult to handle with this much oil, so I’ll devise a substitute, which the femco just went to the top of the list.
Hey Scepter.
Not sure what you mean by clicker. I had to figure out my thread size and just ordered based on that as I recall. It has been 7 or so years ago I bought mine. Its all brass high quality product.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
I installed a Femco drain on my Dynasty after the first miserable oil change. I would never be with out this on any coach.
I save old 2.5 gallon rotella bottles and fill them up. I have 55 gallon drums and have them pumped out when full.
www.femco.com
I checked their website and their "Search by Vehicle" option doesn't show anything for a 1999 F53V10, 6.8L. I'll have to call them and find out.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Hey Scepter.
Not sure what you mean by clicker. I had to figure out my thread size and just ordered based on that as I recall. It has been 7 or so years ago I bought mine. Its all brass high quality product.
I think I may have picked a different version than what you may have. Searching the ISL on their website returns these options:

https://www.femco.com/products/?_sea...ts=M18X1.5-T14

I clicked on the first one (the "clicker"), which after looking at it, has a bit of a different design than the other two. You buy a corresponding "Clicker", which I believe is just a different method of connecting the drain hose.

Thanks!
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #19

Installing a Fumoto valve is the way to go and then drain oil in 5 gal. buckets with lids. Concerning disposal.....if you bring anything bigger than a 5 gal. bucket to Walmart or an Auto supply house to dispose of the old oil they won't take it. It has to be small enough for them to pick up by hand and pour into their recycle tub.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #20

With the drain valve, you don't have to drain it all at once. You could use 1 gallon milk jugs and drain two or three at a time.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not for nothing, but do any of these drain valve options have a magnet on them? What’s everyone’s solution for wear metal?
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
Not for nothing, but do any of these drain valve options have a magnet on them? What’s everyone’s solution for wear metal?
Fine metal gets collected by the oil filter, larger peices lay in the pan, unable to fit thru the oil pickup screen.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #23

I personally don’t see the big deal. I installed a fumoto valve.

Pros:
You can drain into containers by turning valve on and off.

Cons:
You can’t drain all oil out
You have to stay under couch the entire time to drain into smaller containers
It drains slow slow slow
It can be knocked off but unlikely
Old 03-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I personally don’t see the big deal. I installed a fumoto valve.

Pros:
You can drain into containers by turning valve on and off.

Cons:
You can’t drain all oil out
You have to stay under couch the entire time to drain into smaller containers
It drains slow slow slow
It can be knocked off but unlikely
Roost,
Yeah, you're correct in that you can't drain ALL the oil out, WITHOUT staying under there and controlling it into small containers. If one is using a container large enough to hold ALL the oil, then why have a Fumoto?

"It drains slow slow" Yes, it does, if the oil is cold. This is why I stated earlier in the thread to WARM the engine up. And that is, DRIVE it around a few blocks or more to get it warm. Letting it idle to warm it up, is worthless especially in colder weather.

As far as anyone EVER knocking off a Fumoto, In all the years and years I've been on this and any other RV forum, I have never, ever red a report where someone knocked his or hers off in any kind of road conditions. Can it happen? I suppose but, the probabilities are incredibly rare. If one goes frolicking around off road with diesel pusher and the roads are so bad that the chances of knocking a Fumoto off are increased, well, what's that tell ya?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:53 PM   #25

WOW my 7.5L Ford...

My Ford 7.5L hold 6 quarts! I reuse the 6qt oil jug for my used oil and never have a problem. I use a big yellow coolant drain pan on some of my vehicles (especially my 4X4) then transfer it to smaller containers. I also use a large drip pan under the containers in case of spills.

Bottom line is if you enjoy doing it yourself and can still slide under your coach, go for it!

PS: I wonder if your local truck service center would accept large oil recycles? Flip 'em some cash or a 12 pack?
Stannman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stannman View Post
My Ford 7.5L hold 6 quarts! I reuse the 6qt oil jug for my used oil and never have a problem. I use a big yellow coolant drain pan on some of my vehicles (especially my 4X4) then transfer it to smaller containers. I also use a large drip pan under the containers in case of spills.

Bottom line is if you enjoy doing it yourself and can still slide under your coach, go for it!

PS: I wonder if your local truck service center would accept large oil recycles? Flip 'em some cash or a 12 pack?
Bit of difference between 9 gallons and 6 quarts. I am putting together the tools and bits I need, will post an update in a day or two.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
With the drain valve, you don't have to drain it all at once. You could use 1 gallon milk jugs and drain two or three at a time.
We use 1 gallon milk jugs if no empty oil jugs available. Drain into oil pan that has a pour spout to fill them. We have a W22 Workhorse Chassis
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:38 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The WHOLE idea of the Fumoto is not to be transferring oil when you're done. There are a million 2.5 gallon empty DEF jugs around that are low profile. Why would anyone drain into one gallon jugs when changing oil on a DP that holds at least 6 gallons.

After you change your oil the first time, save the jugs for the next oil change. I know the majority out there use Rotella and it comes in 2.5 gallon jugs at Walmart.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote