Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 04:57 AM   #15

On mine I was able to install an articulating swivel mount that I installed sideways. For watching TV i can swing the tv down to a very comfortable height where we don't bend our necks looking up. For travel it swings back up to the top position near the ceiling where I secure it with a couple of nylon straps attached to the inside of the cabinet behind the TV. I had previously changed the old boat anchor one for a 32" but recently swapped that out for a 39".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I understand the carpentry work but my question is - my TV and ota antenna ae not digital or HD. I have the analog to digital converter so I can watch TV. I also have the "junction" box where all the tv/dvd/antenna hookups are. Can I simply put a new flatscreen TV in my coach and expect it to work?
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post
I understand the carpentry work but my question is - my TV and ota antenna ae not digital or HD. I have the analog to digital converter so I can watch TV. I also have the "junction" box where all the tv/dvd/antenna hookups are. Can I simply put a new flatscreen TV in my coach and expect it to work?
When I did mine, I had trouble getting it to work with the bomb (box of many buttons). I ended up removing it and wiring mine thru the home theater system like at home. The existing antenna will probably work, it will work better with the addition of the wingman module. Throw your a/d converter away, you no longer need it. You will still need power for your antenna, so you can leave the bomb in place just for that purpose or, in my case I elected to install the SensarPro that powers the antenna and gives a signal strenth reading. It was a nice addition. For the rear tv, I added a separate DVD player. It is also hooked up to the coax that goes to the antenna. There is a splitter up front that feeds both tvs. I don't use a satelite at all. I'm either OTA or DVD. Hope that helps you.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post

That's just what I did work good no need for a converter. You will need to change out your antenna to an HD like king batwing for HD.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #19

When I plugged in my TV the antenna signal worked :-)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #20

I changed the tv in my Newmar to a 32" LCD tv with sound bar. The pictures generally show the mount I fabricated which allows the tv to slide in/out. Has a tilt mount. The whole thing cost 30 bucks (less the tv and sound bar). Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 02.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	152762   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 04.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	152763  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 08.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	152764   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 05.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	152765  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #21
IC2

I did a major cabinet rebuild, using red oak and oak plywood to match the existing interior in our now gone Titanium to install a flat screen TV. Installed all new speakers along with a mid line SONY home theater system. This mod gained a much larger and taller basement storage area that was virtually useless before along with some added inside storage for whatever. I added a couple almost matching doors from Amish Doors as well to enclose the 'hole' that previously was open. It made for a pretty big project since the previous owner had created a mess out of the cabinet. It was not an inexpensive mod, but the dealer at trade said it added some value. The existing antenna and cables worked just fine, including using CG hookups.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
If there isn't pics, it never happened. Got any?
someone needs to take me through how to post a picture on these threds. I went to the place on the forum that tells you how to do it but I just did not understand all the terms on how to. Richcard
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Ok thanks. My antenna has power and a splitter for the rear tv. I have been wanting to change to new TV's so I will give it a go.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
someone needs to take me through how to post a picture on these threds. I went to the place on the forum that tells you how to do it but I just did not understand all the terms on how to. Richcard
The best way I've found is to open a (free) Photobucket account, put a copy of your pictures there then copy that one. The site's method is pretty clumsy as are most forums. This is a Photobucket picture of the beginnings of my cabinet mod - the rest are lost in an old hard drive:
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I changed the tv in my Newmar to a 32" LCD tv with sound bar. The pictures generally show the mount I fabricated which allows the tv to slide in/out. Has a tilt mount. The whole thing cost 30 bucks (less the tv and sound bar). Works great.
A couple of years ago when I bought my rig and changed out the front TV, I copied much of your job. I made a mount very similar that can slide in and out with a TV mount on it. I did however mount the TV behind the frame and used some foam weatherstrip on the backside of the frame to cushion against the front of the TV. In the area under the TV, instead of a soundbar, I built a fold down door and used a couple of push-to-open latches on each side. I covered the door with black fabric so it looks much like a speaker opening. Once you push the door and open it, it folds down flat, and inside I built a small slide rail on each side with some small pieces of aluminum channel I bought mounted to the floor of the enclosure, one each side of the plywood slide for the TV. I bought a couple of bamboo kitchen storage boxes, 6"x12" I think, and they slide out on the little rails. I covered the rails with felt to hold the boxes snugly and prevent rattles. I use those boxes for storage for the remotes and other misc. items. The only hiccup I had was the door didn't want to stay closed very well when travelling. So I bought a black spring loaded traverse rod and use it across the front to hold the door in place when traveling.

Your great job and write-up really helped me to formulate and complete my own project. Thanks. I wish I had taken pictures as you and others have, but unfortunately did not. One day I'll try to take a few snapshots of the finished project and post.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
A couple of years ago when I bought my rig and changed out the front TV, I copied much of your job. I made a mount very similar that can slide in and out with a TV mount on it. I did however mount the TV behind the frame and used some foam weatherstrip on the backside of the frame to cushion against the front of the TV. In the area under the TV, instead of a soundbar, I built a fold down door and used a couple of push-to-open latches on each side. I covered the door with black fabric so it looks much like a speaker opening. Once you push the door and open it, it folds down flat, and inside I built a small slide rail on each side with some small pieces of aluminum channel I bought mounted to the floor of the enclosure, one each side of the plywood slide for the TV. I bought a couple of bamboo kitchen storage boxes, 6"x12" I think, and they slide out on the little rails. I covered the rails with felt to hold the boxes snugly and prevent rattles. I use those boxes for storage for the remotes and other misc. items. The only hiccup I had was the door didn't want to stay closed very well when travelling. So I bought a black spring loaded traverse rod and use it across the front to hold the door in place when traveling.

Your great job and write-up really helped me to formulate and complete my own project. Thanks. I wish I had taken pictures as you and others have, but unfortunately did not. One day I'll try to take a few snapshots of the finished project and post.
jt
Glad your install went well and I'm glad to help. Post your pictures because there is a very good chance they will help someone down the road.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #27

I'm in the process of doing this also! First thing I did was google how much my 27" TV weighed. 95 lbs! Had my son come over and help me get it out. Those old TV's are just throw aways now.

I'm leaving my box alone and am mounting my Dish 211k in it under the 32" LCD. Great place for it and a blue ray player.

I found a MorRyde locking mount that I can unlock and pull the TV out to get in back of it. I may install a shelf in that big hollow box area behind the mount.

I'm also installing a Samsung sound bar that I bought from Costco. It has a wireless subwoofer. It will go above the TV at the ceiling. It is too long to fit between the cabinet doors below the TV.

As far as my OTA antenna, since I threw out the old VCR, I use that output from my BOMB to go to my Dish receiver, and of course my new TV will decode the digital signal itself from the old TV ant. output.

I'll try and get some pictures and post them.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #28

Replaced the front 27" "tube type" TV with a 32" LED flat screen about 5 years ago in my 02' Pace Arrow. The tube was mounted inside a box suspended from the ceiling of the coach; in the center, between the captain's chairs. On either side were cabinets (with smoked plastic doors that opened from bottom-to-top) for the various audio/video components and, they attached to the center box previously mentioned.
Not possessing "mad" wood skills, I decided to mount the new 32" LED HDTV to the front of the center cabinet rather than "inside" it like the tube type I removed. This brought the TV screen several inches closer to the the living area and, more importantly, allowed me to increase screen size to 32" by being mounted to the outside (front) of the box.
I bought a TV as wide as I could allow for the doors to still be opened. If I had wanted to remove the doors, I could have installed a 42" diagonal. The LED screen is important for it's weight savings; perhaps that's all you can get anymore as I haven't shopped for TV's since.
Bugriders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr