Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugriders View Post
Replaced the front 27" "tube type" TV with a 32" LED flat screen about 5 years ago in my 02' Pace Arrow. The tube was mounted inside a box suspended from the ceiling of the coach; in the center, between the captain's chairs. On either side were cabinets (with smoked plastic doors that opened from bottom-to-top) for the various audio/video components and, they attached to the center box previously mentioned.
Not possessing "mad" wood skills, I decided to mount the new 32" LED HDTV to the front of the center cabinet rather than "inside" it like the tube type I removed. This brought the TV screen several inches closer to the the living area and, more importantly, allowed me to increase screen size to 32" by being mounted to the outside (front) of the box.
I bought a TV as wide as I could allow for the doors to still be opened. If I had wanted to remove the doors, I could have installed a 42" diagonal. The LED screen is important for it's weight savings; perhaps that's all you can get anymore as I haven't shopped for TV's since.
I have 1/4" on either side of my 32" TV between those doors. Fit perfect.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
R&R Old tube TV

We replaced the TV in our '02 Winne, now under new owners. Removed the TV cabinet and cut off the metal framework from the old Tv. BIG JOB! Winne did not skimp on metal. Anyway, finally cut it off to proper size and used the old frame work to support new unit. Redid the cabinet from original cabinet, so wood all matched, and found a TV that fit just into the old cabinet. After a bit of trimming & angling the face to accomodate shape of the new tv. I also used the tilt type mount, again on sideways like Mr Michael, and it works great! After finding that the tv tended to drift out in bumpy roads I found a long strip of black velcro and put that across the face when not in use. Worked great.
As for the old TV, I discovered that if one drops it on the driveway it fits in the waste collection container verrry nicely.
Be sure to give your shopvac a workout in the driveway if that happens.
Good luck!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #31

Up grading Television on RV

I done mine and it looks like a factory job. But I still have the original box. I just made some modification on it to make the 32" television fit. I did not want the television too high because it is hard on the neck viewing the TV. And since I had real nice Walnut wood frame I did not want to completely eliminate the wood trim. So I cut the side trim about three inches on each side using a combination blade to make a smooth cut on my table saw. I did remove the base metal plate since it was boxed with one inch steel tubing. I just went to Harbor Freight and bought a reciprocating saw with rotating handle and in five minutes I cut the bottom of the metal frame down. Saw was on sale for $29.00.

So since the new TV was rectangular I had a gap on the top of the TV. So I got the two piece that I had cut from the sides, measured what I needed, cut them to size and Elmer glued them together, made some recessed holes to apply some screws, then capped them with matching wood plugs.

Inside the box I applied a one inch plywood across the metal frame and secured it. That was to bolt the new television anchor. The new TV fit perfect.

I decided to do it myself because a place in Las Vegas where they specialize on remodeling the interior of motor homes wanted $3500.00 to do it. Well! I thought that was a little too high. They said that the cost was high because of the all steel box frame. I just laughed at them because in my opinion a business that does remodeling should have all kinds of tools to cut steel or wood. It just did not make any sense to me.

Total cost for me doing the job and buying the TV, and the saw was around two hundred dollars.

If the original poster wants some pictures, send me a private message and I will text pictures to you.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr