Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Anyone dissatisfied with their Safe T Plus?

I purchased a 2017 Winnebago diesel pusher that had a safe t plus already installed. The rig was pulling to one side, so I took it to an alignment shop to have everything checked. They said alignment was fine but the safe t plus was out of adjustment. They tried to set but didn't get it fine tuned. As we were getting everything else ready to go for a 4 month trip, I just left it go.

A ways into the trip I didn't like how it still pulled me to the side so I went under the coach, disconnected it and tied it up out of the way. Research on this forum indicated an overwhelming amount of people that loved it. So when I was in Quartzsite I was talking to the Redlands people and had them reinstall. They got it adjusted dead on for a level road and no wind. Very pleased with them and their professionalism.

But I feel I still am not getting used to it. Driving several thousand miles I feel like I am always working against it. Virtually never am I on a flat (no crown) road with no wind or anything. So I feel it is always pulling me in a direction I don't want to go. I get the possible benefit during a front tire blowout. Other than that I think it causes harder driving as not only on some days I have to fight side winds I have to steer against the safe t plus too.

I am considering taking it off for completely. Before I do, tell me if I am missing something or that would be foolish being it is already there and professionally installed.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

How long have you owned and driven a class A type coach? How many miles driving experience do you have in a class A type coach?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #3

I am on my second class A. The first was a gasser. Although I have been driving RV's for about 4 years, I was raised on a farm and and very familiar with driving trucks.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
When I first purchased my Safe-t-plus the installing dealer could not get it adjusted properly, and claimed my coach needed a front end alignment. Knowing that I didn't need an alignment when I was driving to the installing dealer, I searched on line for adjustment procedures. It took a lot of trial and error over correcting and tweaking until I got it right, but then it was a real pleasure to have. It is amazing to me how it helped with strong side winds and passing trucks. Then i lost that adjustment when I snagged the unit driving over the edge of a road. I can no longer work lying on my back with my hands held up without getting very nauseated, so I had a local mechanic correct the safe-t-plus. He got it close, but it still pulls very slightly, and I have learned to live with it.
I suggest that you look into a remote adjustable centering control for the safe-t-plus on your diesel pusher. It was not available for my gas rig, but your on board pneumatic system may give you that option.
Safe Travels
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
"Virtually never am I on a flat (no crown) road with no wind or anything. So I feel it is always pulling me in a direction I don't want to go."

The Safe-T-Plus, properly adjusted, should track you straight on a straight and level, no-wind road. If you are not on a straight and level, no-wind road, Safe-T-Plus can't really take the pull out.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #6

How often do you find yourself on a flat, level, no wind road? Seems very rare for me. So on all the other times, is the safe t plus a help or hindrance?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #7

I have one. It worked fine until I disconnected it to do some other work under the front end. When I hooked it back up, it caused my MH to drift to the side of the road. There are a couple videos on their site that tell you how to adjust it. I did that and it has worked fine since.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

My first DP was 34' and built on a Freightliner chassis. From the get-go it was difficult to keep in a straight line as the there seemed to be slop between the turning of the wheel and the reaction of the front tires. Holding the wheel perfectly still on a straight flat road resulted in the coach wandering off to one side or the other. The coach was in alignment.

I installed a new, aftermarket, ball-bearing bell crank along with a Safe-T-Plus. The difference was amazing. Straight tracking with no wandering and very little back-and-forth of the steering wheel to compensate for wandering.

My new coach had the Safe-T-Plus installed by the previous owner, but he removed it as he did not like the way it affected the steering. Driving this coach without it installed is a real pleasure with no wandering and no buffeting by passing trucks or side winds. The Safe-T-Plus is sitting in my garage where it will likely remain unless I get the urge to install it for a test drive.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #9

Thanks Ljwt330. I am wondering if you hit on something. It may depend on the coach. Redlands also installed a new bell crank in ours. It may be just how the coach preforms with no safe-t-plus. I have to say ours did drive good without it, so maybe that is why I am not seeing the benefit.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Like the OP, I found the Safe T + made driving tiring. Previous owner put one on the new to me 08 Navigator but after 4000 miles I disconnected it. Under perfect conditions (level road and no wind) it worked fine but any crosswinds it made driving tiring as you had to fight it. This was based on 85K miles on the same chassis without one. I decided I would not use it unless I could change/adjust the center point on the fly. Too cheap to buy a $600 air activated adjustable mount so I made my own. Here is a write up it’s updates after a year of use: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mak...le-451209.htmli

PS: this is my 4th DP in 20+ years and over 130K miles. The only time I’ve had a handling issue was after new tires and they put 120 psi in them even though I told them 100 front and 90 rear. Letting the air out solved the problem.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I recently posted this in response to a ad on FB about Safe T Plus and side winds:
“Side winds require you to hold the steering wheel off center but the S-T-+ wants the wheel straight ahead making driving tiring as you have to hold against it. New to me DP had one which after a couple thousand miles I disconnected... based on 85K miles same chassis without one. Don’t waste your money, especially if you have DP.”

I did get a response from them, even offering to bring it in (Atlanta, not that far away) for them to adjust it. Once they understood I’d made it adjustable on the fly they said they do not recommend making it adjustable as finding the center point was to difficult.

I have not found finding the neutral point (may not be the center point) that difficult. If for over a mile I find I’m having to nudge the steering wheel (barely push a little) in the same direction several times I’ll just touch the switch in that direction to equalize.

In my opinion people with gas MHs like it because it makes it harder to oversteer the rig... tightening the nut behind the wheel.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #12

That is very cool and I can certainly see something like that would make a world of difference.

I am not sure I have the skill set or tools to make something like that. If I could make it out of wood it would be a different story.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #13

In reading your link I now see many others have had similar experience. So much that higher end coaches saw the need to incorporate systems into their steering. Maybe I am not that crazy after all.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
In 120K miles of DP driving I never felt the need for a stabilizer, even for a blowout, but since I had one making it adjustable made sense to me. I looked at making one like the $600 air activated one (I even had a spare air cylinder and valve) but really didn’t like the slide which was going to get dirt in it.

I agree a stabilizer should help with the initial loud noise of a blowout but once the tire goes down you will need to steer some in the opposite direction because of the increased resistance which means you’ll be fighting where the stabilizer wants the steering wheel... straight ahead. Hope I never find out.