Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
OP...

I don't want to sound like some freaking marriage counselor or life style guru but I probably do. I'm too much aware of how I can run a tad head long into places where fools ought not tread. But, as I said, many of your posts seem to allude to or even out rightly point to different goals and concerns between you two. I'm not confident you tow have them sorted out. The LAST thing either of you wants it to put out a LOT of $$$$ into something and find it wasn't for BOTH of you.

Sorry if I sound preachy.
Not preachy, We actually agree on things, the dilemma is if we want to stay in LA and retire, retire and go to FL, retire and go elsewhere, or stay in the military.....we actually don't want to decide yet.

I'd get something cheap for the time being but I don;t want to lose our nest egg in depreciation and not be able to get the higher end one in a few years.

We also have an extra teenager this year and a dog. They go to college summer 2015. If we get a fancy one now we'd want to full time and that is a lot of pet hair in a fancy coach, that doesn't make hubby happy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Not preachy, We actually agree on things, the dilemma is if we want to stay in LA and retire, retire and go to FL, retire and go elsewhere, or stay in the military.....we actually don't want to decide yet.

I'd get something cheap for the time being but I don;t want to lose our nest egg in depreciation and not be able to get the higher end one in a few years.

We also have an extra teenager this year and a dog. They go to college summer 2015. If we get a fancy one now we'd want to full time and that is a lot of pet hair in a fancy coach, that doesn't make hubby happy
OK...

My $.02 based on what you just said...

I would not buy anything based around teenager and dog that will be gone. Creative use of an air mattress (we do that with our grand kids) for weekend or even a couple week jaunts seems quite acceptable.

Cheap doesn't mean bad shape. If you truly think a big DP is in your future but you want a "starter", find an older DP in good shape. You WILL *probably* lose money in depreciation but nothing like going newer. Stay a tad conservative and center your search on one with the basics. To me, the basics are forced air furnace, RV refer and a hitch that will support what ever toad you plan to use. I would also look for one with 2-3 slides unless you find a nice, CHEAP tag axle unit. I suggest 40' or less and without a tag. However, as much as I love my tag axle, the fact that we planned to FT in it steered us towards the tag and 43'.

Now, if you do find a unit within the "cheap" range with aqua hot and some other doodads, great. just keep your eyes open and don't let the glitz of new MHs blind you to mildly used MHs out there waiting for a good owner.

In the end I don't think there is even a large minority of RVers that bought their last coach first. It is a great goal but too many things happen when you get the first one. You learn and grow in it to hopefully discover that what you got was really what you thought it was. Unlike going to Kohl's and trying on pants until you find just the right one, MH purchases rely on both a well defined idea of what you want along with a little luck that you got what you thought you would get.

As an example, when we bought our first one we didn't know what we didn't know. Don't even want to talk about the SHORT queen bed we didn't realize was short. We also didn't understand the dynamics of weight and balance and found we maxed out the rear axle weight way too easy. HOWEVER...I wouldn't trade away that experience because what we learned from our first one made our second purchase much more suited to our desires.

Is it the perfect MH...NOPE! We scrapped the RV refer for a residential, as I type we are at MCD getting all new shades, later this year we get a new floor. The floor plan is good but it has a couple things we thought were good in design that haven't been as good in practice. Still...we love our coach.

That is MY story and it worked for Sandee and me. You will have to find your own story and be ready for the twists and turns and do your best to find a rig that meets the mission's parameters (You husband will like that analogy), comes in under budget (Your husband will know how silly it is to even SAY that) and keeps you both on the same page and in the same frame of mind.

The final military analogy...A battle plan only survives until the first bullet is fired. That is absolutely true with RVing. To me, the key is to understand that, factor that into your plan's budget, and then be prepared to accept you didn't factor everything because you just can't. As long as you do that, have room for the unexpected and adapt to what is in front of you, you can thrive.

Best wishes!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #31

Buy used. My friend bought a new class C and a week later he had remorse and decided he wanted the one that was 2 feet longer. He went back and told them, they offered him $10,000 less than what he paid for the MH when he bought it, the price dropped that fast, needless to say he kept the original one he bought. You can find a great deal on used with low miles. Plus, if you don't like it, you're not out $100,000 - $300,000.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote