Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Anyone else know exactly what they want but are too scared to write the check?

I have been on here for a while, lurking at first, then posting away!

I have asked so many questions and got amazing answers! My problem is that I know what I want (well mostly narrowed it down) but husband isn't convinced.

Anyone else have similar problems? How do you all come to an agreement?

I am not working right now due to the toddler being in the house so he does have the most say....

There are a ton of units that we like but I can't drag him across the country looking at them much longer. I worry he is going to be the guy who needs to fall in love immediately to know if it is the one. (Don't worry, he is still a shark when it comes to numbers)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ummm...yeah. That's a big chunk of change to lay down. DW and I looked for years before we found the one that made pen and check finally come together. Price was right, content was right, and quality was right. It's a joint decision...you'll get there - hang in there!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Her job - my job

I would say to let your better half make decisions on the mechanical and the wear and tear end of things...........And if he has not learned as of yet......let you decide on the floor plan and interior..........if you are not happy ......he is not going to be happy
Just like at home, hers is the inside and mine is the outside, same when we were Coach shopping...........She is happy there fore.....me to
I took me years to realize how it had to work......
Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

I wasn't scared to pull the trigger but I did want to throw up the next day.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Biggest check we ever wrote. Most sales tax I ever paid in one swoop as well.
Shock wore off quickly after first outing and loving it everytime we are out.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just do it! Live life it only happens once, if you fumble the first time, pick another. It's just too short to sweat the small stuff.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We started slow with a relatively inexpensive used coach so we could experience the lifestyle and learn about what we liked, hated, needed, etc. It was really helpful to see other rigs in use as we camped and we talked to other owners about their experiences. Met a lot of people who would have made different choices if they had a chance for a do-over but many had negative equity and couldn't. We are on our third coach and have continued to get closer to the ideal coach for us each time. The key was that we were never economic prisoners in any of our coaches so we maintained the flexibility to change. In my experience, we only really knew what worked for us as we used the coach. Simple choices like TV locations, Conventional oven, type of bathroom, multiple lavatories, booth dinette or table/chairs, carpet or hard floors, basement and interior storage, etc. all may seem clear when you are walking through on a lot but you don't really know until you use a coach the way you are going to use it.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
HELL YES!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Talking

We're not spouses, but traveling siblings. We definitely know what we want: Newmar King Aire 4593. Spanking new. Sally gets the bedroom and I get the (electric) fold-out couch in front.

I've picked out the floorplan, Sally the exterior color. I get the "toys" like the type of heating system (hot water); Sally gets the interior colors/finishes... All I said to her was "nothing dark!" She wants a window over the kitchen sink, I just want that wonderful little appliance garage that's part of the FP. She gets a queen sized bed cuz I want the extra storage it allows. Oh... And I want the gas cooktop since that's what we have at home and I do most of the cooking.

It's all a matter of compromise. We're not going to fulltime, but we're not letting the coach sit in the RV garage all winter, either. Already mapping out a ski board trip to Breckenridge!
GraciesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't let us know which way you are leaning. Are you wanting a TT or a MH???
Now I'll tell you our experiences.

In 1977 we bought a 23' Tioga MH. That was great. It was small but had two bunk beds in the back..We loved it. No slides

In 1999 we bought a 34' Nerwmar Dutch Star with 2-slides. It to was wonderful. In 2010 when the DW retired she decided that we should trade the DS in for an F-150 and get a TT. That was the biggest mistake we ever made.

Over the next 4 years we had 3 different TT's and on our last trip back from FL we decided to get back into a MH and we ordered a 2014 WBGO Vista 30T and love it.

Now why the switch. This is my personal opinion based on my years of experience working on and teaching automotive repair. I think most TT's are built on the edge of destruction. Minimum axles, tires, brakes and suspension. They do serve a purpose and many, many families really enjoy them but from a mechanical viewpoint I just don't like them. I spent more $$$$$ and time trying to make the TT's safe and road worthy.

Now don't get me wrong there are some decent units out there but if you get one that's not so good be prepared to run into roadblocks getting things squared away.

Just read, read, read the other forums and you will realize how many tires, frames, axles, suspensions are minimal for the weight that are supposed to carry.

I have issued this challenge on several threads and nobody has responded. Find a TT that has a set of axles that has a carrying capacity rated at 1,000 pounds greater than the maximum they are expected or designed to carry.

Our last TT was rated at 7,000 lbs and it came with two 3,000 lb rated axles. So I have 6,000 lbs of axle carrying capacity and an expected max weight of 7,000 lbs.
The same is true for the tires as well.

TeJay
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Definetly class A. I want big engine to pull anything. Separate areas for kids to be away from each other (bunks or convertible walk-in)

I am ok with remodeling inside, that scares hubby. He is also scared of used issues but scared of new prices.

We both want an Entegra but the plans aren't right for me and the money isn't ok with him.....yet
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #12

Yes and thank you for posting as I thought I was alone. We have found a perfect coach for us and the price is below NADA low. It's local too. We plan to look at the coach a second time right after Easter. As nice as it is and it fulfills my bucket list dreams, I am still apprehensive because it is a huge amount of money and I know I will suffer a loss if things don't work out. I think because this will all be new to us and I have never driven one before, along with thoughts of the large boat we once had that we threw money at weekly and didn't use much, I am nervous myself about the purchase. My wife thinks I am over thinking an we should try it. Her way of thinking is that if it doesn't work out, we can sell it and move on.

I know if this coach works out we will buy it as we have not seen another half as nice except new, but my comfort level likely won't get better until I own it and realize the dream I have had for years of traveling around the country with it. I can't wait to tour the great western parts of the country and taking my time doing it
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Definetly class A. I want big engine to pull anything. Separate areas for kids to be away from each other (bunks or convertible walk-in)

I am ok with remodeling inside, that scares hubby. He is also scared of used issues but scared of new prices.

We both want an Entegra but the plans aren't right for me and the money isn't ok with him.....yet

Be patient, don't rush. You know what you want so wait for the right deal. There are units going up for sale everyday. Be willing to fly and drive home for the right deal.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
It really makes a purchase easier if you have some working mechanical knowledge. If that's not your strength do you at least have the desire to learn how to do some of the work?? It's not so much the $$$ you would save but if you have some knowledge it makes the trip to the dealer less of a mystery. It also helps if you can accurately describe what your problem is and I also recommend that the owner also ask to see defective parts as they are discovered and replaced.

Several time I have offered to talk to owners if they get stuck at a repair facility and are asked to shell out a small fortune when they are not real sure exactly what they are getting for their $$$$$. You'd be surprised what a few well placed questions to a service manager can do. Sometime if they think you don't know they start replacing parts until they finally fix the problem. They know you are stuck and will pay what you think you need to pay to get on the road again.

Good luck on your search.

TeJay