Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone ever been towed & covered on their ins policy?

Just wondering we have emergency road side coverage thru our State Farm policy. If states they will pay to have the MH towed to the closest repair facility. Were headed to S Dakota next month (it could be a long tow!) I know there's Good Sam's, a bunch of others, just wondered if our auto MH policy is good enough? I know they cover rental cars, & other expenses but they have to be notified in advance. I would assume it would be up to me to locate a qualified towing co probably pay up front then turn in the receipts for reimbursement?? Thanks for any advise!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

The horror stories I've read have prompted me to get three towing policies. My Progressive Insurance roadside assistance, Good Sam, and FMCA.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #3

The air dryer in our motorhome failed in Beatty, NV, and we had it towed to Las Vegas for repairs. Our automobile policy (not RV policy) paid for the tow.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We’ve been with CoachNet for near 10 years now, and have been very pleased. When you need Roadside Assistance things have gone badly for you, and you need help badly. This is not the time to cheap out.
We’ve called CN 6-7 times over the years and they have been unfailingly prompt and professional. Three tows that cost me $0, and 3 or 4 service calls where CN paid the service call fee (usually ~$100) and I paid the time & materials on the small local repairs.
CoachNet is a bit pricey, but IMO worth the price. Your goal is thorough, reliable coverage. You should pick a plan liberally sprinkled with the words “platinum” and “of your choice”. Avoid plans that limit you, that stipulate the “closest repair” or a maximum number of miles. This means THEY make the choice, not YOU.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:23 AM   #5

Progressive took care of me when my coach needed to be towed.
bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I use State Farm, and yes they pay for the tow. In fact, they pay for the tow to a facility that is certified to work on your rig. Been there, done that.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Call your insurance company and ask.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #8

Did your rates go up after the tow...?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
Call your insurance company and ask.
What he said, better yet, read the policy and ask any questions in an email so you have something in writing.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
What he said, better yet, read the policy and ask any questions in an email so you have something in writing.
Especially ask for the definition of "qualified repair facility". Some people have been towed to Joe's Auto Repair and Subway Shop. Also ask about towing capabilities as your RV gets larger. Many a person has reported that their automotive policy could not find a towing service qualified to properly tow their large motorhome.

That should be one advantage of using the "big boys". They will have better contacts among the towing companies, especially in out of-the-way places.

All of them do a quick shop around and try to find someone who will tow for what they are willing to pay under your policy. They're all really just dispatch services.

Ray
Old 07-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The wrinkle typically ends up being where the "nearest qualified facility" is. Or maybe I should say what it is, because they may try to foist you off on the nearby "Fred's Grocery & Truck Stop" when what you need is a full service diesel engine shop.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmath View Post
Just wondering we have emergency road side coverage thru our State Farm policy. If states they will pay to have the MH towed to the closest repair facility. Were headed to S Dakota next month (it could be a long tow!) I know there's Good Sam's, a bunch of others, just wondered if our auto MH policy is good enough? I know they cover rental cars, & other expenses but they have to be notified in advance. I would assume it would be up to me to locate a qualified towing co probably pay up front then turn in the receipts for reimbursement?? Thanks for any advise!
YUP - we had a tow rider added to the Policy - Blew the Allison - and were Towed - $1,200 + - to the Allison Shop - got home turned in the Reciept - Wife got the Check in a couple of weeks.

Not an issue -

JMHExperience,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #13

I'm also in the marker for RV roadside assistance. I have a class A DP and am often towing a 28' enclose trailer, does any one have any experience both good and bad get a Class A towed with a trailer??
Drewfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #14

We had a Allison Transmission problem that stopped us dead in our tracks. State Farm was excellent in providing us a suitable tow, and when I explained what Allison technician indicated the problem was, they authorized a 52 mile tow to a regional Allison dealer/service center. $0 cost to me.

No insurance rates did not go up.

BTW, my roadside service with State Farm cost me less than $10 per year!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tow, towed