Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Anyone Ever Park Backwards (Forward)

It's easier to level our coach if the front is higher than the rear. Sometimes sites aren't sloped the right way to do that. Since most of our camping at Texas state parks is only water and electric we have plenty of hose and cord to just drive into the site. We rarely use the awning so we wouldn't miss that and having the door on the wrong side doesn't seem that big an issue. Is there anything else I should think about?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've done it so our awning and a friends awning were almost together. Worked fine other than it started to rain and their awning automatically dumped the water off....right on our friend!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

I've done it before so our front windshield faced the lake. One thing to consider is in most cases your door will face your neighbors door so you and your neighbors will have less privacy. Also you don't want to raise your back wheels off the ground because they are your parking brakes.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #4

Yes, we will park "forward" if the view out the windshield is much better than the view the other way. We have power and water extensions so that we can reach the pedestal. Be warned however, that some campgrounds insist on backing-in only. I assume this is so that the awning sides of adjacent RVs are not facing each other.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, will do it for a view.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #6

The last rv park we were at had a park rule that went something like, "units must be parked on their sites as they were designed" to prevent what you describe. That was the only time I've ever seen that. We have, on occasion, parked backwards to open towards our friends next door.
rxoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It's easier to level our coach if the front is higher than the rear. Sometimes sites aren't sloped the right way to do that. Since most of our camping at Texas state parks is only water and electric we have plenty of hose and cord to just drive into the site. We rarely use the awning so we wouldn't miss that and having the door on the wrong side doesn't seem that big an issue. Is there anything else I should think about?
The View, that what would turn me around.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Have parked backwards at a state park in Tennessee for the same reasons as mentioned above. Unless there is a rule against it and there's no privacy issue, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As others have stated - we've done it occasionally - either for the view or to create a "common area" when camping with friends.

There are some parks that are picky about their rules ... the ones that have a spectacular view on one side or the other have usually already factored that such that the "rules" point you in the right direction to see it - so that's usually not an issue. Going against the grain to create a "common area" between friends however can sometimes be an issue in a strict park. The couple of times we've run into an issue - stopping by the office with both site holders together to confirm we both want the common area has always resulted in an arrangement everybody was happy with. Obviously, we've got all the necessary extensions to deal with hooking up.

I suspect that if we were to run into a situation where park rules were immutable in that regard (and without a reasonable explanation besides "those are the rules") - we'd likely adjust our plans and move on. I consider myself a reasonable man ... and like working with reasonable people. I avoid dealing with "the rules are the rules" types to the greatest extent that I can.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did it yesterday. The view is better out the front and the sun position in the afternoon is shaded over the coach. No complaints from the neighbors either. We do it whenever we feel it is to our best interest and never had any complaints.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There is a RV Park in Santa Clarita CA called Valencia Travel Village that is 80% filled with residents. They do NOT allow people to pull into a back-in site forward. I know 'cause I did it once and was told I had to back into the site. I promptly told the office that I would comply as soon as they adjust their sprinklers on that side of the site so they don't spray all over the coach when parked correctly.

It seems that others once they saw me parked differently went into the office and asked it they could also do the same to get a better view of the local mountains.

Well they had the maintenance crew down at my site the next day adjusting all of the sprinklers at my site. When they were done and I was happy with the way they were watering the grass and not my coach I changed the coach back around to the other direction.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wrong way

We do when we camp with the kids and grand kids if it is allowed. It gives us a big common family area with both awnings and at times we will raise the pop up also.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
One added bonus is you don't sit and eat outside right next to the other guy's, next door, sewer hole. I have seen several Parks lately that have one pedestal for two sites ment to park alternate correction so your awnings are facing. Now to the OP we park backwards all the time to get the best view.

LEN
Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would only do this for the view, and then only if it was a very wide site that would not have me staring in my neighbor's door!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote