Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanBee View Post
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the new 7.3 V8 Ford. I honestly haven't seen any specs on it yet.
Me neither but I assume it will make peak TQ/HP at a lower rpm than the current 6.8L V10.

I'm excited for the new engine and the possibility of a new transmission. The F53 has no competition in the Class A gas market so it's nice to see Ford actually making improvements in the chassis without being prompted by competition.

Gassers get a bad rap for being noisy, poor ride quality and thirsty compared to a similarly equipped DP. All of that is true but a modern Newmar on the 26k F53 chassis is a very nice unit. Many of the Winnebagos on the Workhorse W24 chassis are very nice units. Throw in the mid entry and the ease of engine maintenance and many of us on a budget are very happy with our gassers. If my budget were bigger I would love to have a nice +450hp tag axle DP. For now I am plenty satisfied with our gassers.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Me neither but I assume it will make peak TQ/HP at a lower rpm than the current 6.8L V10.

I'm excited for the new engine and the possibility of a new transmission. The F53 has no competition in the Class A gas market so it's nice to see Ford actually making improvements in the chassis without being prompted by competition.

Gassers get a bad rap for being noisy, poor ride quality and thirsty compared to a similarly equipped DP. All of that is true but a modern Newmar on the 26k F53 chassis is a very nice unit. Many of the Winnebagos on the Workhorse W24 chassis are very nice units. Throw in the mid entry and the ease of engine maintenance and many of us on a budget are very happy with our gassers. If my budget were bigger I would love to have a nice +450hp tag axle DP. For now I am plenty satisfied with our gassers.
No one needs to defend or justify their decision to buy any type of RV. Iíve been across the country in a pop up Skamper. At the end of the day, they all get the job done.

Some feathers appear to have been ruffled after an earlier poster mentioned a low end DP as an option and I suggested that an older DP might offer a higher quality product at a lower cost.

Who knew?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #45

I for one am excited about the 7.3 gasser. I need a class A toy hauler so a pusher is not an option. I like the Canyon Stars the best because they don’t look like a toy hauler from the rear like the Outlaws do. The sooner the new engine hits the showroom the better.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
No one needs to defend or justify their decision to buy any type of RV. Iíve been across the country in a pop up Skamper. At the end of the day, they all get the job done.

Some feathers appear to have been ruffled after an earlier poster mentioned a low end DP as an option and I suggested that an older DP might offer a higher quality product at a lower cost.

Who knew?
Yea I don't know why any feathers would have been ruffled by your comments. They seemed pretty accurate and straight forward to me.

I bought the old Adventurer because that is what I could afford. We leave it in the southwest and go full time every year from the end of September to the beginning of May. I store it in Vegas and just fly back and forth as needed.

Some day I may be able to afford a nice tag axle DP. Right now for the semi-full time RVing we do the old gasser works pretty good.

Props to Ford with the new 7.3. Hopefully they get it close to perfect right out of the box and we get it in RV's sooner rather than later.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post

Who knew?
No, it's the assumption of ignorance, air of superiority, and inability to not have the last word that "ruffles feathers". In the end I said nothing wrong and genuinely was giving an opinion as it applies to my circumstances. I'm happy you found the right rig but your rig would never work for me and I was seeking information from those that were excited about the non "screaming" 7.3 in future NEW non DP rigs. I'm sorry that no older 500k coaches meet my needs but accepting that and looking for an alternative does not make me inferior.
El Chapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:43 AM   #48

I for one do not understand why Ford is being coy on this engines power specs as that is what we all are waiting for. I know the engine will need to be emissions certified by the EPA.

The 6.8 litre V-10 has been around a long long time. IMHO way past a normal life cycle.

I am expecting a powerful, refined gasoline engine with (just my guess) 550 ft.lbs. of torque at a much lower RPM then the 6.8 V10. Ford in recent history has been hitting it out of the park with new engines. Since 2011 Ford's built the 6.7 litre powerstroke, the 3.5 Eco-Boost, the 5.0 litre Coyote, the 2.7 Eco-Boost, all very powerful and refined engines. All those engines just in the last 8 years. So recent history proves Ford can build good powerful engines. June 2019 is here so another month closer to the 7.3 liter engine. I am very excited!!!
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
It's the fatigue life of the aluminum. They work harden over time and become brittle. You are right...they do live in some high RPM engines. However an RV rocker arm will do probably a 1000 times more work over the life of the engine. I guess I missed that part about the aluminum rockers. That alone would kill it for me.

That was my point when I highlighted it. I would think Ford is well aware of the issues with aluminum rockers and has designed accordingly.

I am hoping this is a killer motor, it would be great to see the gas chassis get some updates. The Liquid Spring rear suspension is now also an option so it appears Ford is trying to provide updates that will make the gas coach much better for the end user.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I for one do not understand why Ford is being coy on this engines power specs as that is what we all are waiting for. I know the engine will need to be emissions certified by the EPA.

The 6.8 litre V-10 has been around a long long time. IMHO way past a normal life cycle.

I am expecting a powerful, refined gasoline engine with (just my guess) 550 ft.lbs. of torque at a much lower RPM then the 6.8 V10. Ford in recent history has been hitting it out of the park with new engines. Since 2011 Ford's built the 6.7 litre powerstroke, the 3.5 Eco-Boost, the 5.0 litre Coyote, the 2.7 Eco-Boost, all very powerful and refined engines. All those engines just in the last 8 years. So recent history proves Ford can build good powerful engines. June 2019 is here so another month closer to the 7.3 liter engine. I am very excited!!!
I agree. 550 ft lbs seems achievable. Figure at least 400 - 425 HP at a lower RPM than the 6.8 and I think many will buy it. Including myself. A Class A gasser with that 7.3, 22.5 tires on a 26k chassis will sell.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
That was my point when I highlighted it. I would think Ford is well aware of the issues with aluminum rockers and has designed accordingly.

I am hoping this is a killer motor, it would be great to see the gas chassis get some updates. The Liquid Spring rear suspension is now also an option so it appears Ford is trying to provide updates that will make the gas coach much better for the end user.
And yes, a chassis that needs minimal work beyond an alignment would be a great vehicle
Old 06-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I agree. 550 ft lbs seems achievable. Figure at least 400 - 425 HP at a lower RPM than the 6.8 and I think many will buy it. Including myself. A Class A gasser with that 7.3, 22.5 tires on a 26k chassis will sell.
All that would be nice but I doubt we will see that big of a jump up in HP and TQ. No doubt it's possible but I don't think Ford has those numbers in mind for the F53. Maybe for the Superduty.

We can all hope for the best though.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
All that would be nice but I doubt we will see that big of a jump up in HP and TQ. No doubt it's possible but I don't think Ford has those numbers in mind for the F53. Maybe for the Superduty.

We can all hope for the best though.
True, and I'd give up some of the HP/Torque numbers for a quieter, more reliable engine.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
True, and I'd give up some of the HP/Torque numbers for a quieter, more reliable engine.
Just curious, but does the V-10 have a reputation as being unreliable? I know that there were some early teething pains with spark plug thread engagement, but other than that, isn't it generally considered to be a mechanically sound engine?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #55

Air Ride! There's a winning idea!!!!!
crg96738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #56

In the 1990's Ford introduced a new pushrod engine for their trucks and SUV's and my youngest brother bought one the first year that it was introduced. After numerous failed attempts to make the engines work Ford was finally forced to recall every one and install new engines in them. My brother lost a lot of time dealing with the constant break downs and failed service visits as they tried to resolve the design issues with the new engines without having to replace them. Lightning does strike twice so one is wise to be wary of bleeding edge designs.

As far as the V10 being a screamer well you control that with your right foot. Most motor home drivers do not drive within the limits of their tires which will be rated at 70 to 75 mph for 10 minutes when ambient temperatures are in the mid 70's. That is the requirement for setting tire speed ratings in the USA so its really unreasonable to expect to run them at speeds exceeding 60 mph for hours or to be running up hills at high speeds with the engine screaming. Getting a Diesel Pusher to run at higher speeds still does not get past tire limitations and only encourages one to drive for extended periods of time at speeds unsafe for the tires as does getting a larger gas powered engine that doesn't rev as high when you exceed safe tire speeds.

Tags
class a, engine