Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Forced induction is a very capable replacement for displacement. In some ways a smaller forced induction motor can have superior performance to a larger natural induction engine--low RPM power for instance.
Would you provide a list of 26,000lb vehicles equipped with a small displacement gasoline turbocharged engine?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Maybe in the short term. But is it a real replacement?
And low end is NOT a forced injection engine's strong suit.

Ford agrees with you in every Eco-Boost engine made, BUT isn't it true that all those Turbo/Superchargered engines are vulnerable to system failures and the moving bits in the engine are much closure to max stress while operating than the larger natural induction engine?
No, it isn't true. Making bearings, rods, cranks etc. strong enough to handle stress is no secret. For instance Ecoboost 6 cylinder engines have forged cranks and rods 6 bolt main bearing caps.

And IME with several turbocharged gasoline engines low end power is a turbo engine's strong suit. Charts that compare power curves of Ford's 3.5 Ecoboost and the 5.0 V8 are online and it's the Ecoboost that develops superior low rpm power.
JpalmerCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #87

If the motor is quiet, and the chassis has air ride, I may have a reason to test drive one.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
No, it isn't true. Making bearings, rods, cranks etc. strong enough to handle stress is no secret. For instance Ecoboost 6 cylinder engines have forged cranks and rods 6 bolt main bearing caps.
Thank you for proving my point. All those special treatments to keep a forced induction engine from self damage hit hard to drive-up the initial and replacement costs.

Fast forward to the 200,000 mile mark and the bigger/simpler engines will still be purring along, while the tweeked smaller engines will be on the scrap pile for repair costs that far exceed replacement value.

Quote:
And IME with several turbocharged gasoline engines low end power is a turbo engine's strong suit. Charts that compare power curves of Ford's 3.5 Ecoboost and the 5.0 V8 are online and it's the Ecoboost that develops superior low rpm power.
The Ecoboost line uses 2 turbos of different geometry specifically to attain low-end performance, so this is hardly a uniform standard for forced induction engines...but another great example of why "There is no replacement for displacement." especially considering cost and reliability - paramount in a truck/RV.

If this were not true, why would NOT every motor-vehicle be forced induction?

The Ford gas 7.3 (on paper) will be simple, smart, and long lived. Should be a great motor for the SuperDuty line and RV's.
Or, maybe you could inform Ford that they should scrap it and just go with twin-turbo V6's in all their heavy duty chassis.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. All those special treatments to keep a forced induction engine from self damage hit hard to drive-up the initial and replacement costs.

Fast forward to the 200,000 mile mark and the bigger/simpler engines will still be purring along, while the tweeked smaller engines will be on the scrap pile for repair costs that far exceed replacement value.
Do you have some data on this? The Eco-boost are very similar in some ways to a turbo-diesel, high compression ratios, direct injection, forced induction. They have some of the same design features to cope with the increased temperatures and pressures, compacted graphite block, forged parts etc.

Diesel have no problem going millions of miles under high temps and compression and torque putting lots of stress on all parts. There is no reason to believe an Eco-boost cannot also last just as long as a normal gas engine if it is designed properly.

Not saying the Eco-boost is a good solution for a MH engine, its better for something lightly loaded most of the time, if loaded up it will have similar efficiency to a larger simpler NA engine and it benefits will not be realized, this seems to be the reason for a the 7.3 and the Ford engineer talking about it in a video say as much here:

https://youtu.be/2FtNlfAbc2w?t=164
Old 06-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
According to Newmar, the 2020 F-53 chassis will NOT be available with the new Ford engine.
Has anyone else heard the same info from another manufacturer?
Or different information?
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #91

Quote:
Well there's some real pretzel logic: the engine isn't good because...it's good. A high performance engine being built like a proper high performance engine is a bad thing. (?!?)

These things are running away from normally aspirated engines and high performance big blocks are increasingly going to turbo and super charging. There is a replacement for displacement, if not for all jobs most certainly for some.
JpalmerCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And...notice he says - designed and built for the 10 speed!

Will just have to agree to disagree with those here who do not see how this new Big Block is an all around good thing. And a thing that cannot be replaced by a high-strung small block or V6

Processes like "forged", "hardened," "billet", etc. in engine building cost big$$$. Can't believe this is even a discussion point.

Diesels are a whole different world BUT like forced induction gas engines, require massive engineering and come at a MUCH higher cost.

It's some "pretzel logic" to think a tweeked V6 will cost the same and last as long as a naturally aspirated big block. They may have similar HP numbers, but the big block will long outlive the tweeked mill. Fine for the "Fast and Furious" boy racer crowd, but not real hard working trucks or big RV's.

These and other reasons are why Ford is making the new 7.3...and it's a good thing from what I have seen.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #93

It's exciting to see that Ford is introducing an improved powerplant which should be very appealing to new buyers. I, however, will not trade my present coach in just to get a new motor. That's a big expense. When it comes to trade time, that's another matter, however at my age, the coach I have will likely be the last.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
Now I'm the bad guy? Hmmm
Not the "bad guy", but you are a bit touchy. Most posters try to give the best advice they can, trying to be helpful. If they don't quite understand what advice you are looking for, it doesn't mean that they are attacking you. Also, he may have been typing his reply when you posted the sleeping arrangements you needed. So, I don't think anyone was attacking you, even if you took it that way. As to the engine, the V10 is loud, but mine is very reliable and it is parked at sites much more than it is run. For me (and I speak for just me) the livability means more than the chassis or power plant. I hope everyone calms down and has a wonderful day.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #95

This was over at least a week ago. Why stir the pot by calling me touchy? I've contributed to this thread since and was enjoying it (and learning).

I know the 6.8 well. Had two of them. Spark plug blowout fail on the first, very expensive $$. Too much noise on the second, but that's only my opinion. So, I choose to wait on the 7.3 and compare it to the lower end DP or Super C. Just my preference. I do not badmouth the latter day 6.8, or Ford for that matter. Finding one that meets my needs is what's most important, but I've ruled out the 6.8 for reasons already stated. I followed the links and read what others have to say about the 7.3 and think it best to wait and give it some first hand scrutiny.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #96

New Rumpr!

A friend of my cousin who has a neighbors son that works on a food truck at the Ford Industrial Chassis plant got a great tip yesterday!

Supposedly the newest offering in the MH chassis field will be the F-95, with a late 2019 introduction date for the 2021 MY chassis run.

It is (drumroll) a UFO rear engine platform!

It features your choice of engines: the venerable 7.3L IDI TD (from 1994-1/2) or the new kid on the block, the 7.3L gas engine. Both are mated to the 6 speed TorqShift (until 10 speed is upgraded). The front end is a throwback too - the sturdy Ford Twin I Beam IFS, but with a twist, it has the coil spring, but with tunable air ride. The rear is a trailing-arm 5 link with coil spring and also sports the air bag assist feature (onboard air from a DC air compressor). With the rear engine configuration, Ford found that they could create a reinforced boxed-frame area that would allow the propane tank to be safely nestled inside the frame rails, with an extension for filling the tank that can be flexibly mounted to prevent work-hardening failures of the fill and service lines. The 62 degree front wheel cut (thanks to the IFS) will be a class leader and offer unprecedented maneuverability. While I'm not sure that the use of electrical fans for the side mounted radiator is an advancement over the hydraulic units, Ford is touting quieter operation, less parasitic engine draw, and less weight. I guess time will tell....

As of now, other than the engine choice, the only other option is Alcoa aluminum or stock steel wheels. All frames available (20K/24K) in the UFO platform will ship with 22.5" wheels.

The one who heard all of this was not able to coax the axle ratios out of the informant. I know you are probably disheartened about that, but I guess we all have to wait for the unveiling later this year.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't see if anyone noticed/posted what Ford is publishing...this new engine will be in the MY2020 F53 RV and F59 commercial stripped Chassis (winter 2019) and the MY2021 stripped E-Series (used in compact RVs like the Axis/Vegas):
https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...ipped-chassis/

But...says the 6speed is staying around a while

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
A friend of my cousin who has a neighbors son that works on a food truck at the Ford Industrial Chassis plant got a great tip yesterday!

Supposedly the newest offering in the MH chassis field will be the F-95, with a late 2019 introduction date for the 2021 MY chassis run.

It is (drumroll) a UFO rear engine platform!

It features your choice of engines: the venerable 7.3L IDI TD (from 1994-1/2) or the new kid on the block, the 7.3L gas engine. Both are mated to the 6 speed TorqShift (until 10 speed is upgraded). The front end is a throwback too - the sturdy Ford Twin I Beam IFS, but with a twist, it has the coil spring, but with tunable air ride. The rear is a trailing-arm 5 link with coil spring and also sports the air bag assist feature (onboard air from a DC air compressor). With the rear engine configuration, Ford found that they could create a reinforced boxed-frame area that would allow the propane tank to be safely nestled inside the frame rails, with an extension for filling the tank that can be flexibly mounted to prevent work-hardening failures of the fill and service lines. The 62 degree front wheel cut (thanks to the IFS) will be a class leader and offer unprecedented maneuverability. While I'm not sure that the use of electrical fans for the side mounted radiator is an advancement over the hydraulic units, Ford is touting quieter operation, less parasitic engine draw, and less weight. I guess time will tell....

As of now, other than the engine choice, the only other option is Alcoa aluminum or stock steel wheels. All frames available (20K/24K) in the UFO platform will ship with 22.5" wheels.

The one who heard all of this was not able to coax the axle ratios out of the informant. I know you are probably disheartened about that, but I guess we all have to wait for the unveiling later this year.
Hahahaha. This is an awesome story.

While all of what you say is possible I highly doubt Ford would resurrect the 7.3 IDI to put it in a modern motorhome chassis. At 175hp and around 390tq it would be pathetic compared to any other diesel offering in a Class A coach.

A modern 6.7 PSD would be pretty awesome though.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, engine