Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Anyone excited about a new Class 'A' engine?

I think if I were looking for a new class 'A' motorhome I would wait for the new Ford 7.3 litre engine, while hoping there is not a lot of the old 6.8 litre engines in inventory.

I am thinking this new engine will come with a new stiffer frame.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #2

Here's a good article on the new engine https://www.hotrod.com/articles/insi...3l-pushrod-v8/
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

Not until it's been on the road for 5 years or so. Sometimes when you are on the bleeding edge, the blood is your own...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

Iíd be excited about a 500 hp diesel that got 15mpg.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

I normally don't buy first year engines (remembering spark plug ejections from the early Ford V10's), but I'm in the market for a Class A and my plans to get a lower end DP have now been put on hold until I see what this new 7.3 offers. I don't like how the current V10 "screams" when pushed, but a pushrod V8 doesn't do that (I have the 6.0 Chevrolet in my current class C) and it might allow me to get a high end Class A gasser instead of a lower end diesel pusher.

Of course, a Super C may be my best option.

Decisions, decisions...
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think if I were looking for a new class 'A' motorhome I would wait for the new Ford 7.3 litre engine, while hoping there is not a lot of the old 6.8 litre engines in inventory.

In my head, a stiffer frame means a rougher ride unless they add air suspension.
I had 3 truck chassis rigs. My air ride Camelot with tag canít be bettered by another truck frame, IMHO

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I sold Ford commercial trucks for 15 years. I was never so glad to get away from a product in my life!! I was selling about 1000 Fords a year into the towing industry. I was getting cussed out every day of my life from 2003 -2008 during the 6.0 Powerstroke fiasco. The new 6.4L Powerstroke was supposed to fix all the problems and it was even worse!! It was so bad Ford Engineering sent me a closet full of turbos and EGR valves to ship all over the country. I hated it. I sell Ram trucks now with Cummins diesels and it's like night and day difference. I just sell them and never hear from the customer again until he's ready to buy his second and third and fourth.......
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I normally don't buy first year engines (remembering spark plug ejections from the early Ford V10's), but I'm in the market for a Class A and my plans to get a lower end DP have now been put on hold until I see what this new 7.3 offers. I don't like how the current V10 "screams" when pushed, but a pushrod V8 doesn't do that (I have the 6.0 Chevrolet in my current class C) and it might allow me to get a high end Class A gasser instead of a lower end diesel pusher.

Of course, a Super C may be my best option.

Decisions, decisions...
If youíre set on new you're in a tough spot. You may not be satisfied with any of your 3 current options. Spend the same money on a 10 year old DP and youíre now looking at coaches that originally listed for half a million. This may lead to satisfaction.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
If youíre set on new you're in a tough spot. You may not be satisfied with any of your 3 current options. Spend the same money on a 10 year old DP and youíre now looking at coaches that originally listed for half a million. This may lead to satisfaction.
Ain't no kind of feel'n like Foretravel Mobeel'n...or Country Coach, Prevost/Newell..

You get the idea
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #10

No excitement from me.

My Freightliner frame does just fine with a Cummins and Allison transmission. I don't need the manufacturers to correct earlier mistakes with new models and upgrades...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

It's interesting how the new engines coming out have gone back to port injection. Gas Direct Injection(GDI) is dead, except for Toyota who has gone to two injectors per cylinder; one GDI and the other port injection. They realized after the fact that port injection kept the intake valve clean, and GDI caused deposits to build up on the intake valve at an alarming rate.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
It's interesting how the new engines coming out have gone back to port injection. Gas Direct Injection(GDI) is dead, except for Toyota who has gone to two injectors per cylinder; one GDI and the other port injection. They realized after the fact that port injection kept the intake valve clean, and GDI caused deposits to build up on the intake valve at an alarming rate.
Yet, diesels suck more air then gas engines and the valves don't get a buildup.

Maybe its the positive crankcase ventilation of gas engines sending stuff past the valves.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #13

Sounds like a similar engine to the old 460 with a modern twist. Hopefully they've done their homework and won't have any stupid problems.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Why would you think that? I see nothing that requires or implies a redesign of the F53 chassis. Odds are the new engine will be a bolt-on replacement, simply because Ford won't want to have to redesign all their medium trucks, vans and stripped chassis in order to use it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, engine