RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both my front tires are showing sidewall cracking. One has a date of June2015 and the other a date of June 2013. I bought the RV used so have no idea why the tires have different mfg dates but they should not have sidewall cracks when one is only 3 three years old and one is 5 years old both are cracked the same.

Will look into buying Toyos. Had them on my old Winnebago and they lasted a long time.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
My tires are in their eighth year of service and are pristine...not a single sidewall crack to be found.

I read something here recently that implied that the sidewall crack issue is not found on the XZA2 tires.

I'm just curious if anyone running the XZA2 tire has had the infamous sidewall crack issue.

USMCRET......
I bought a new set of XZA2 dated Mar, 2012 when I bought my coach 6 years ago. All were made in Spain.
We typically wander for a month or two, then park somewhere for 2-5. When we park I wash the wheels, treat with 303, and cover them. So far no cracking at all.
From what I have read, the Michelin sidewall problems seem to have occurred mostly in the XRV line of tires. I donít know what country of manufacture. The XZA2 seems to be pretty clean. I have also noted that those who most loudly rail against Michelin usually do so with a broad brush, without specifying model, so there is really no reliable data there.
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #17

Just installed a new set of X Line Energy replaced the XZA 3 line. At 72 I just bought my last set of tires any other brand Iíd be on track for one more set
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
My Michelin XZE's were 12 when recently replaced. No sidewall cracking and even though they were not part of the "problem lists" I did not feel safe or comfortable while they were still on. After hearing and reading about the problems with Michelins and GY's I went searching for the smart route and it turned out to be the economic one as well! Going by suggestions from those in the trucking world and the tire world, I also went with Hankook AH37's. I'm completely happy with the decision and though they don't have many miles on them yet, I definitely notice an improvement in ride and handling!
Another big plus to these is they are 18ply and rated as load range J!
The rig is weighing more than the original weight rating (how many are not?) and I feel safer with these!
There were/are so many different opinions on here as to brand, sizing and performance. But, I figured that I am driving a Freightliner(truck) chassis! And...as one individual told me...."if it looks like a truck, feels like a truck and drives like a truck....it's a truck"!
After reading all about other's concerns about "China bombs", I considered all the other items I have bought that were "made in China" and the cheap materials that caused them to fail early and I ain't willin to risk it!
When will we learn?
In the trucking world alot of us, including myself, run tires made in China. I would argue quite successfully we handle more weight than an RV. Only thing that comes close to rivaling what truckers haul are maybe converted buses that are 45 ft.

In the end it's about Ply Rating. A 14 ply rate Michelin is gonna have the same weight carrying abilities as a 14 ply rate DynaTrac. And in most all cases, the tires will dry rot before wearing all the tread off. We just bought and mounted 6 new Falcon tires (40 ft Dutch Star, no tag axle) made in China. Ride just as smooth, haul just much, run just as cool, sound just as quiet as an over priced Michelin, coming in at around $400 per tire out the door, mounted, new valve stem.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Both my front tires are showing sidewall cracking. One has a date of June2015 and the other a date of June 2013. I bought the RV used so have no idea why the tires have different mfg dates but they should not have sidewall cracks when one is only 3 three years old and one is 5 years old both are cracked the same.

Will look into buying Toyos. Had them on my old Winnebago and they lasted a long time.
Toyo is a good tire. Alot of value in those tires.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
My Michelin XZE's were 12 when recently replaced. No sidewall cracking and even though they were not part of the "problem lists" I did not feel safe or comfortable while they were still on. After hearing and reading about the problems with Michelins and GY's I went searching for the smart route and it turned out to be the economic one as well! Going by suggestions from those in the trucking world and the tire world, I also went with Hankook AH37's. I'm completely happy with the decision and though they don't have many miles on them yet, I definitely notice an improvement in ride and handling!
Another big plus to these is they are 18ply and rated as load range J!
The rig is weighing more than the original weight rating (how many are not?) and I feel safer with these!
There were/are so many different opinions on here as to brand, sizing and performance. But, I figured that I am driving a Freightliner(truck) chassis! And...as one individual told me...."if it looks like a truck, feels like a truck and drives like a truck....it's a truck"!
After reading all about other's concerns about "China bombs", I considered all the other items I have bought that were "made in China" and the cheap materials that caused them to fail early and I ain't willin to risk it!
When will we learn?
We ran a lot of 19.5 Hankook tires and got many years of service on pickups and trailers. Ran one set close to 100K on one of the F550 ranch trucks
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires