Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone have experience with OTR tires on class A?

In recent searches for tires, I have come across several over the road type semi tires for steer as well as drive applications. The size as well as load bearing are similiar or exceed the typical Michelin/Toyo replacements. Price is much cheaper. Has anyone had any experience with this type tire? I mean if they are put on a 18 wheeler surely they will last on a 45’ bus as long as load tolerance is taken into consideration, right?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Over the Road truck tires are designed to have long tread life. RV tires are designed for ride comfort. You can use either but you won't enjoy the ride or handling as much. On our work trucks we run some cheap $300.00 Chinese imports because in the scrap metal business tires don't last long. I would never ever consider running one of these on my rig when a good Toyo is around $425.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #3

We are running the Dayton D520S on ours and love them.
Local tire shop sold me on them based on the amount of use they were really going to see. They initial aired them to 120 and sent me out the door, rode nice but a little stiff so I dropped them to 80 which is what the coach calls for (without weighing anything) and its rides so much smoother.
295Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295Alaska View Post
We are running the Dayton D520S on ours and love them.
Local tire shop sold me on them based on the amount of use they were really going to see. They initial aired them to 120 and sent me out the door, rode nice but a little stiff so I dropped them to 80 which is what the coach calls for (without weighing anything) and its rides so much smoother.
Certainly you should weigh and compare the weight to the TIRE's pressure chart. The RV has no recommendation on tire pressures for a Dayton, which is what is important. The RV was equipped with a particular brand / model tire. Any recommendation was for that tire, not the Dayton.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We had OTR tires on our rescue engine at the FD. They lasted one year...not due to the tires wearing out, but the stiff ride shook so much of the rig going down the road, the transmission had to be reprogrammed, computer replaced, exhaust replaced, and driveshaft bearings and joints all replaced. We ended up having to switch to the only other tire being made for it...Michellin tires. The steer tires are actually dump truck steers. We thought oh boy here we go again, but they are great!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #6

I plan on it Soon as my schedule allows it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Certainly you should weigh and compare the weight to the TIRE's pressure chart. The RV has no recommendation on tire pressures for a Dayton, which is what is important. The RV was equipped with a particular brand / model tire. Any recommendation was for that tire, not the Dayton.
295Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, not sure why you’re replacing tires on a 2016 DP.... are those Michelins already cracking? With 365s on the front, pretty sure Michelin is the only maker and it’s not a RV tire. No reason to buy overpriced 315 Michelin for the rear... plenty of other good manufacturers and I doubt you’ll find a 315 in a RV tire,

Now there is some difference in local and long haul tires with local having more rubber on the sidewalls.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We got ours with new Samson OTR truck tires. Three years later the one front started to show sidewall cracking so I replaced the fronts with Sumitomo tires. HUGE improvement so next year I'll replace the rears. Both ride quality and noise was improved and they were a reasonable price. The truck tire shop said they never seen Samson on the front of an RV they are mostly trailer tires.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Bought 6 Samson tires (China-made) 3 years ago. Cost for them was about $1400. So about $233 each. Have put 10K miles on them thus far, zero problems other than picking up a nail in one tire. The ride was palpably better than the Michelins they replaced.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #10

those So called rv tires are just tires with size specs like michelin made to make people think they need them.. do really think a truck driver doesnt get the best riding tire he can?? i drove OTR and cement and dump trucks and delivered regiona. ect .. read this pdf about tires and tires for correct situations. to many rv's just get what the sales says...
https://generaltire.com/sites/defaul...TA%28LR%29.pdf
https://generaltire.com/tires/commercial
Old 06-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #11

Michelin measures their tires different than every other manufacturer. That is why most RV tire sizes only show Michelin having that particular size. Other manufacturers have that same size tire but it will have different numbers on it. Any qualified tire shop can cross over most any Michelin tire to another brand. I’m currently running Firestone H rated steer tires on all six wheels. They are definitely firmer than the Michelins but by weighing the coach and fiddling with the pressures, I was able to achieve as good or better ride than the old cracked Michelin’s. I’ll let you know in a few years how well they last.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
On what make/model motorhome ? weight ?
bigjon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I’m using Toyod and they don’t ride any different than my Michelin RV tires.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
We got ours with new Samson OTR truck tires. Three years later the one front started to show sidewall cracking so I replaced the fronts with Sumitomo tires. HUGE improvement so next year I'll replace the rears. Both ride quality and noise was improved and they were a reasonable price. The truck tire shop said they never seen Samson on the front of an RV they are mostly trailer tires.
I have Sumitomos here too (22.5"). They were what was on my rig when I bought it last year and were two years old at that time. I haven't had another brand on yet to compare to but they seem to ride fine and I haven't had any problems with them.

Tags
class a, tires