Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

Anyone here spend more hours on mods, than travel and camping per year?

I love tinkering but I find that I will spend weeks in modifications and money just to make my family and myself more comfortable for one weekend. Has this ever happened to you?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep. Sometimes life events take priority but our time will come.
Glad we aren't alone.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
I love tinkering but I find that I will spend weeks in modifications and money just to make my family and myself more comfortable for one weekend. Has this ever happened to you?

I do that very thing. Of course I build my RV over several years.
I live in it for a month each year 2000 miles from home.

You learn with every trip. Over time I now get to spend less time on building compared to trip time.

I tend to agree with those that stock the camper/RV with everything needed so there is no packing time when you want to leave.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My MH is pretty much the way I want it, so there are no mods going on. I spend a lot of time in the warm months on the road so there's no time left.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #5

Yeah, I know the feeling, I have RV projects that have been ongoing for at least 4 months now. I keep telling myself not to start any new ones until I get these done, but that never works either.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Yep. Sometimes life events take priority but our time will come.

Glad we aren't alone.

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post

I do that very thing. Of course I build my RV over several years.

I live in it for a month each year 2000 miles from home.

You learn with every trip. Over time I now get to spend less time on building compared to trip time.

I tend to agree with those that stock the camper/RV with everything needed so there is no packing time when you want to leave.

So happy to hear you actually get to use yours as it was designed, so many I guess buy new and they need nothing but routine Maintainance.

Others are lucky if they get away once a year as it slowly decays.

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
My MH is pretty much the way I want it, so there are no mods going on. I spend a lot of time in the warm months on the road so there's no time left.

You must of worked hard to get it to that point or did it come perfect?

Glad your enjoying the good life.

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Yeah, I know the feeling, I have RV projects that have been ongoing for at least 4 months now. I keep telling myself not to start any new ones until I get these done, but that never works either.

It’s almost like building a game room in your home, it only gets used a few times a year for a very short period for all that effort and expense.

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do the upgrades because I enjoy the work—it’s a hobby; I really don’t think much about the time it takes.

However, as I get older, I’m thinking more about using the toys than improving them. I’m hoping to transition more to upkeep than upgrade.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #11

for the next year it will be non-stop upgrades and remodeling. We just bought our DP last thanksgiving and we are setting it up for FT use for a family of 4.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #12

For me it's a couple things, I like to tinker and the other one is the motorhome is in storage for 1/2 the year where I can't tinker on it. So when I get it back home I do the preventive maintenance first, after that I tinker even when I'm camping.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Ucbyrickg,
Well Sir, if I showed you my Excel spread sheet on all I've done, it would definitely show you that you're not alone in this dilemma. I just finished a couple of small projects. The first was to change from regular florescent lights in our living room section to LEDs. The second was put those same LED light strips, (in the form of a square) in a couple of my compartments. Simple but seriously better improvements over the standard lighting. I've done many, many things like that. It's to me, things like that, that personalize our coach.

Each time we're out and camping or traveling, I see those changes/improvements/mods/alterations and think, "Man, I remember doing this one or that one and they were all fun" and, for the better.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
I do the upgrades because I enjoy the work—it’s a hobby; I really don’t think much about the time it takes.

However, as I get older, I’m thinking more about using the toys than improving them. I’m hoping to transition more to upkeep than upgrade.

You read my mind.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks

Rick

Tags
camping, travel