Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Anyone install their own Electric Fireplace?

I'm thinking of putting in an electric fireplace in the cabinet area under the t.v. Looks like most of them are around 1500 watt.
Just wondering if anyone has done this.. and if so, some pictures of the installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06_5_0.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	85693  
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
That's where I put mine. Buy the way, 1500 watts is the lament mater what you pay. I'd put a picture if I could figure how to do it. Under my TV was a power outlet that I plugged it into. After taking out the two doors, I had to remove the center section of the opening and enlarger the area enough to get the fireplace to fit.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would be careful of putting it to close to your dinette booth because they can put out quite a bit of heat. We have one under our TV but we have a table and chairs.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
I would be careful of putting it to close to your dinette booth because they can put out quite a bit of heat. We have one under our TV but we have a table and chairs.
Yep, I was thinking that too!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Good point. I'll make sure it's far enough away... or on low heat only. Most of the small units have two settings.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Seeing as it will be blocked with the slide in, is there any concern that it may be heating when plugged into shore power with slide in? Would a micro switch which was tripped be the slide be a safety consideration that should be considered?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The "on" button for ours is unreachable when slide is in, and buried where the slide can't touch it. Good way to keep from making a mistake and leaving it on. It also has a remote. I don't see it as a danger. We use it a lot. But when we are cooking and using a lot of power I turn it off. We don't have anything quite as close as your dining set. Basically it's about as warm as a blow dryer, lol.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:41 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have two that came with our Meridian. They both have a temperature setting that can be set with a remote or touch screen or we can just use them for the ambience. One is in the bedroom and the other in the living area; both are under the TV's. They can heat the coach; in fact, we use them instead of turning on the heat. We absolutely LOVE them!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Todd157K".....Our coach came with one and we wondered how much we would use it. My wife liked the looks of it, when on, but I really like how it quickly heats the front of the coach. We used to have a small portable heater we always pulled out and set on the floor, then spent half the time moving it around or tripping over it.

Ours has two heat settings and multiple settings for how the fire looks. I think you'll be fine with the dinette, because most of the units only produce heat at the top three inches, which will be above your cushions.

In your photo it looks like the slide is all the way out. Is that panel behind the dinette arm a dead panel? Do you access storage in that last panel from the ones not blocked by the dinette arm? If so, will you lose that storage or is it a dead area?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
One point not mentioned is that you'll need a separate 15amp power source for the fireplace due to the amperage the unit will pull. If the fireplace was an option available on your unit from the factory it might be pre-wired so no issue.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #11

Don.. yes, it's a dead panel and yes, I'll loose that little bit of storage. No biggy.
Jarwiebe.. I planned on a switch setup, but thanks for bringing it up anyway.
D Lindy.. I was going to run the a/c line dedicated back to the breaker panel. I figured it was the safest way to run it.

I bought the unit yesterday and should get it next week. I plan on bricking the front of the "fireplace" area with some 'faux' brick. I'll post pictures of the project. If anyone has more tips.. I'm open to hear them!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did this mod a long time ago. Saw one in a big 5er and really wanted it.

Name:   1021121435.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:   1021121434.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:   1021121444.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  20.6 KB

The fireplace is 110VAC only, has 4 heat settings (cool, low, med, high) and 7 light settings with a remote (can be used as a night light) using only 2 small bulbs.
The TV is a swapped bigger unit from OEM too and is on a standard swivel mount (the removable top strap is just for extra safety).
Fireplace source is provided here (I am not affiliated): http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1830985
This design has only 1 moving part for the "flame effect lighting" and does not make any noise with driving movement.

There's another here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1663495

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #13

IMO, an electric fireplace is nothing more than a a fake fireplace...(personally, I have a lot of other ways to waste my time and $$).
However, if an expensive fake fireplace that eliminates storage space and heats no better than a $20 1500 watt space heater, "trips your trigger" go for it.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO, an electric fireplace is nothing more than a a fake fireplace...(personally, I have a lot of other ways to waste my time and $$).
However, if an expensive fake fireplace that eliminates storage space and heats no better than a $20 1500 watt space heater, "trips your trigger" go for it.
Mel
'96 Safari
You are correct, an electric fireplace is an artificial fireplace. I can not imagine having a wood burning fireplace in an RV. I myself like the idea and they look very nice for some ambiance as well as a source of heat other than a little space heater sitting on the floor.

Tags
install, replace