RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone Know a Great Dash AC Shop?

I have had a problem with my dash AC for over a year. I first took it to a local RV shop I trust and was told that the problem was a bad compressor, but that their shop couldn't raise the coach enough to change it. Next I took it to my local Cat shop. They found a bad relay, but after replacing that they couldn't make it work again (after 12 hours labor). I then took it to a shop with a good reputation in Richmond, VA. They sat on it a few weeks, then found a bad Schrader valve and a shorted wire after 8 hours of labor. It worked great for a couple of weeks, then started blowing hot air again. Took it to the Freightliner service center in Gaffney. They told me that it was actually working briefly, but it was cutting off due to a faulty temperature sensor on the evaporator. He also opined that the evaporator is likely to be leaking Freon. However, he added, Freightliner doesn't do that kind of work. Most recently I took it to Lazy Days in Tampa and they replaced the evaporator, temperature sensor, expansion valve and drier. It worked great until about a month ago, and now it's blowing hot air again.

I'm out thousands of dollars on this problem. All I really want now is to find a really expert shop that will fix this thing once and for all. Anyone have a recommendation, preferably east of the Mississippi River?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

I'm listening in on this also - I need the same thing.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:06 PM   #3

The best place for a Tiffin Phaeton or any Freightliner chassis coach is

Bay Diesel and A/C
1127 4th St. NE
Red Bay, AL 35582

256-356-8830 or 256-356-8803

Ask for Chris Morrow, the owner. He has forgotten more about coach a/c units than most experts will ever know. He fixed mine when the Freightliner dealer in Pittsburgh screwed it up trying to replace a locked compressor. They are also a Freightliner Authorized Warranty service center.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the same problem, spent thousands trying to get it fixed as well. They would fix it and it would work ok for a short time, then just hot air again. We ended up going thru Mojave, CA and it was so hot and no air again, we got to our campground in Riverside, CA, called a mobile diesel truck mechanic out, as we had a fridge full of food and reservations and could not take it to them. The mechanic took a look at our problem and could see where there had been a Freon leak that was small that everyone else had missed. It was the A/C discharge line from the A/C to the expansion valve. Cost us more money than we anticipated as they came to our site, had to have a 10ft hose specially made, then come back out again to install it. But worth every dollar as we have had no problems now in 2 years. Ask them to check the hoses to see if they can see where freon has leaked out, there was white residue on the metal near the hose. Best of luck in your repair I know how frustrating it is.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash