Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Anyone own a gas pusher?

I was looking at a video of a 2008 winnebago Destination
w
I m rather intrigued by this design. Seems like the best of both worlds. Quiet with engine in rear, no dog house,etc. Not sure about how the suspension is setup.

I never knew they existed until today. Any input would be appreciated. Thx.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
It's a Workhorse chassis called a UFO (Universal Floor Option/Universal Fuel Option) R6. You can find lots of reading by searching on Workhorse section.

Or search Google with "Workhorse UFO"

Here's a start: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...se+ufo+chassis

Here's the Workhorse section on IRV2 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/

Here's another http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/workh...ons-20861.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
I was looking at a video of a 2008 winnebago Destination
w
I m rather intrigued by this design. Seems like the best of both worlds. Quiet with engine in rear, no dog house,etc. Not sure about how the suspension is setup.

I never knew they existed until today. Any input would be appreciated. Thx.
A while ago, we were at a campground called Emerald Desert RV Resort in Palm Desert and, at the same time was a WIT owners group that was there too for a group campout. In that group, were a about 3 Winnebago Adventurers that were all GAS PUSHERS. I spoke with one owner and asked him about his rig and, personal thoughts, issues etc. since I'd not seen any up close before.

He stated he and his wife were thoroughly satisfied with their coach as well as were the other two owners in the group. He did state there was a fan clutch issue with a few of them but, all of that has been remedied. He stated the ride was really nice, great power for pulling and other nice comments. I might think of one in our next pursuit, who knows?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought mine Sept 2007. Now 65,000 miles later and I still love it. The ride is quiet and the Coach doesn't move all over the road. I can literally drive it with one finger on the wheel. I hope someone revives the Chassis, it is a real winner as far as gas Coaches go.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

I have never been in one, but IMO it's a great idea. So many people could use a pusher, and everything that is good about them, but don't need the power or longevity of a diesel nor the additional expense. I was surprised that noone came up with it sooner.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

2008 Destination

We have the 2008 Win Destination and love it. We bought it new in August 2012. It was a "left over" that had been sitting on the lot for three or four years so we got an excellent deal on it but had some usual problems with anything that has been sitting for a while. We love the quiet ride and the fact that I can do most of the maintenance myself. The only problem we still have is the "porposing" or "pogoing" in the front when you are on a road with humps and dips. I saw where someone suggested installing Koni shocks instead of the stock Bilsteins, may try that.
dnrainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrainey View Post
The only problem we still have is the "porposing" or "pogoing" in the front when you are on a road with humps and dips. I saw where someone suggested installing Koni shocks instead of the stock Bilsteins, may try that.
I test drove a UFO at the California RV Show several years ago. I had the same feel of the front end. We went over railroad tracks that ran at a 45 degree angel, it felt like the front end was uncontrollable. Koni's will help with your issue.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2008 Winnebago adventurer pusher with an 8.1 workhorse. We love it. Quiet, smooth easy to drive and over 8 mpg. Great design and very easy to maintain.
andylarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Executive Industries (now Monaco) made the model I have in a gas pusher version in the 80's.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I test drove a UFO at the California RV Show several years ago. I had the same feel of the front end. We went over railroad tracks that ran at a 45 degree angel, it felt like the front end was uncontrollable. Koni's will help with your issue.

Fred
put sumos on it and go to the new after market bilstiens....
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylarson View Post
We have a 2008 Winnebago adventurer pusher with an 8.1 workhorse. We love it. Quiet, smooth easy to drive and over 8 mpg. Great design and very easy to maintain.
question... when you say over 8mpg.... have you recorded all the gas used VS all the miles traveled.... or did you take a test on flat ground at 50 mph...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The UFO had leaf spring suspension rather than the air of a diesel pusher. It was available with a diesel or gas engine, and some of the few made were diesels. The UFO never caught on with buyers, even though the idea is sound, and RVmakers soon stopped building them. Front diesels came out around the same time, and those flopped in the market too, despite having advantages. Buyerd either went for the "full monty" diesel pusher or stuck with a front gas chassis (less expensive than any pusher or any diesel).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
question... when you say over 8mpg.... have you recorded all the gas used VS all the miles traveled.... or did you take a test on flat ground at 50 mph...
I consistently get over 8. Hilly, flat and in between. I keep the speed down and don't exceed 60 mph. I put seafoam in the gas. It's a great rig. Thx
andylarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We also averaged about 8 mpg when we had a Workhorse W22 and 8.1L engine. Mostly interstate cruising for best mpg, though. Keeping the speed down is the key.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas