Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #169

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Oh yes, we've had enough regrets.

Our first coach was a 41' DP, bought used. Realized soon that we were going to use it a LOT and traded for a new 44' DP (2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT).

That seemed just perfect to us, for a few years.

Then, when not rv-ing as much, we thought we'd save $ and downsize, and could get by with a 30' Airstream. It was a very nice trailer, awesome if you like a small trailer! But we ran out of space almost immediately. We were storing things in the shower and on the dinette. NO ROOM! We felt claustrophobic. Missed having counters and shelves. Missed a LOT that we once had.

Unlike many people, we really like hanging out IN the RV, more than sitting outside the RV, so having a spacious interior really means a lot to us. And, for us, recliners are an absolute MUST. Hanging out for hours on an RV sofa does not cut it for us. We finally learned these lessons well over the years.

After a quick year, we traded the 2016 30' Airstream for a 32' gas motorhome, a 2016 Newmar BayStar 3124 with full wall slide and a king bed, and installed two recliners. That coach felt spacious to us (after having the airstream), but only for a short while. The bathroom was so small as to be nearly un-useable. We really missed the roomy interior space of the 44' DP, the washer/dryer, the ability to tow a larger/heavier tow vehicle (Tahoe, Yukon, Sierra p/u), room for the two 60 lb. dogs, etc.

Now, 1 year after buying the 32' BayStar, we've fully learned that we should have just kept the 44' HR Endeavor DP that we had! It was perfect for us.

So, last week we traded the 32' BayStar gasser for a 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369 (about 44'). It just suits us perfectly! It's cost us a lot of $$$ to gain the experience, but we finally learned that a 40' to 44' DP suits our needs the best. And, finally, we got an RV that we didn't have to remove a sofa from and replace with recliners!

Though there may be some spots where we will not be able to fit, all-in-all, the 44' DP suits our needs best. And the good news, for us, is that the 2017 Newmar has advanced dramatically in features, options, benefits, and creature comforts over our 2011 HR Endeavor. So, we did at least get a lot more coach than we had with the 2011. I'd still be happy having that 2011 Endeavor, though - it was a great coach.

In the meantime, Holiday Rambler has been sold to yet another company and the new Endeavor has been cheapened to the point of not even being in the same echelon as the previous Endeavors were - not even close. Unfortunately, today's Holiday Rambler/Monaco coaches are nothing like they once were - though they're trying to sell on the once-great reputation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #170

Anyone regret having too long/short a motorhome

We've been on the road 23 years and started with a 24'Tioga, did 2 years in it and couldn't understand why full timers were always laughing at us. Birkenstocks and a small rig, loved it. Then we went to a 28' Trek with the bed that came out of the ceiling, then the bed came all the way to the dash with us in it, loved it before that, but then got a 36' Pace Arrow with one of the first slides, seemed like a castle, we loved it because we could boondocks almost anywhere with it, but the finish started to get funky after about 10 years, we messed up and tried this terrible product called TSRW, WORST thing we ever did, the decals started alligatoring. We called Protectall Company and they said that's what happens with this product and our only choice is to have the finish stripped and repainted. We weighed the options and then a consignment dealer called us and said that a "smokin'" deal just came on the lot, a 1 year old 39' Newmar Ventana with 4 slides said that a guy was going to have it repo'd and he paid $375k last year and needed cash 'cuz his house and business were foreclosed on too, we offered him $100k, he said don't embarrass me, I said, I didn't put the Rig on the lot, you did,and it's CASH, he said give me $105k and we did. This is a great RV for living, but our 36' Pace Arrow was much better for traveling and boondocking because of the slides and the weight. So I guess my point is, you have to decide what and how you are going to travel, each has it's benefits and drawbacks. We absolutely love our Ventana, but we miss our Pace Arrow. We were only 50 and 48 when we started, so each size fit the time I guess, but this is our final one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	158293
ginaandharol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #171

mine is a coachman 27 KB, 29 ft, I was thinking anything longer would be difficult to drive, boy was I wrong, once on the road, with experience in towing and driving bigger vehicles, it doesn't matter what is behind you, I wish I would have went for the 40' diesel with the freight liner chassis, you can always find a place to pull over and sleep, and most KOA's I have been too a long I40 and I10 accross the country have the spaces to accommodate what ever you have,,,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #172

Winnebago Owners Club
Your wife looks like my double! And I love that you travel with a cat...so do I.
I run into so few campers who travel with a cat; mostly dogs. My cat loves
my motor home and likes to lay on the dash while we are driving down the
highway. My 24' is our last motor home.
Ladypilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #173

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
Looks like Rossi's coach is a gasser - gassers generally aren't equipped with airbags from the factory but they can be added as aftermarket. One of the many reasons gas Class A's are less expensive than equivalent-sized diesels.

We just traded our gas class A (2008 Workhorse chassis) and we had also added upgraded shocks, front and rear anti-sway bars and Safe-T-Steer. Only thing we didn't add were airbags. Our new diesel will be the same length (34-ish) but should have a smoother ride with airbags
That is correct. My RV was not equipped from the factory with airbags.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #174

Monaco Owners Club
I feel it all depends on what you use your mh for. We prefer remote camping most of the time to use or jeep and off-road toys. My first class A was a 28' Georgieboy and loved it. Small but plenty of power to tow an enclosed trailer with exceptional gas mileage. We now own a 35' Safari Passage with triple slides. It has plenty of room for wife and I and 3 boxers pups. The only thing I wish it had was a diesel motor and 4wd. The Dynamax 4wd class c could very well be my next purchase in 5-6 years.
Ktaylorr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #175

Fleetwood Owners Club
34' Flair

We started with a 26' travel trailer with no slides, then a 30 Class A with one slide. We now have a 2004 Fleetwood Flair with 3 slides. We feel like that's the sweet spot for us. We look at longer units and don't find anything more appealing. We tow a car on a tow dolly.
TBorstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #176

See post by Roadstar, titled, Stuck In Driveway
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #177

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Love our 43footer. Took advice from a friend who owns a 40 Damon and he said buy a tag model. This thing rides like a dream, does 8.5mpusg, and is able to boondocks without losing any comforts. When travelling we stay right in truck stops or Flying J's etc. Steers in violent X-winds with 1 finger on steering wheel. Only thing is one has to plan ahead to find campgrounds for big rigs. But to me the pros outweigh the cons.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #178

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
My 28' v-10 gasser can out pull a DP in the rolling hills. Speaking from recent experiences.

Flame suit on.
Did the DP driver even know you were racing him? People pass me all the time, I don't feel any need to race them so I let them go.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #179

Race strip for motorhomes is always big up hill grades . Some where someone should start a race circuit need 1/4 mile uphill grade . A scale and a lot of fuel .
I'm only guessing but the 23ft class A with 454 at 10,000lbs would be the race demon there.
👍😁

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #180

Last week we picked up our new Journey 42e, upgrade from 30' class C. We were in the class C for 4 years. The only mistake we made was we should have upgraded sooner.
Rudimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Did the DP driver even know you were racing him? People pass me all the time, I don't feel any need to race them so I let them go.

Wasn't a race, he kept passing me on the downhills and I kept having to pass him on the upgrades (I was using the CC) at the time.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #182
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Wasn't a race, he kept passing me on the downhills and I kept having to pass him on the upgrades (I was using the CC) at the time.
best post of the day
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome