Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #239

Length does not always insure the "best experience"!

As always it's a personal choice...talk about...ask others "opinions" (if you want), then "buy what YOU want" and enjoy! If you don't like it after you bought it...sell it and buy something else

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
well well if your trip only includes sitting in the drivers seat and looking outside it is a great deal but if you really want to enjoy all that with your kayaks or stand up boards and then take your bikes for a ride in tha sunset and when you come back just put your dirty wet close in your washer dryer without having to walk to the laundry station, all that as you sit in your patio chairs enjoying your fireplace watching your favorite tv show or listening to some relaxing music. After that come inside take a decent bath and when you are hungry open that big refrigerater and grab anything you need to cook your meal without having to go every other day to the store, then make a great expresso stay inside and continue to enjoy a fireplace while you are able to strech your legs watching a great movie if your coach is smaller then ours you arent getting it ....��
Other than a W/D, we've got every amenity you noted........

Believe it or not, gassers have residental fridges, fire places, nice showers too..... and I have 4 flat screens with a HD DTV Traveler, so I can watch a football game or a race outside while looking at that view (and my wife doesn't have to listen to it, or me).

Surf boards (10'-0"and / or 7"-6') for the beach trips, and bikes too........

Having ribs cooked on the big green egg tonight.

Yep, those little gassers can be pretty darn nice and comfortable.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Other than a W/D, we've got every amenity you noted........

Believe it or not, gassers have residental fridges, fire places, nice showers too..... and I have 4 flat screens with a HD DTV Traveler, so I can watch a football game or a race outside while looking at that view (and my wife doesn't have to listen to it, or me).

Surf boards (10'-0"and / or 7"-6') for the beach trips, and bikes too........

Having ribs cooked on the big green egg tonight.

Yep, those little gassers can be pretty darn nice and comfortable.
Took the words right out of my mouth. No sense arguing what the "best" coach length. There's no such thing. It's a personal thing.

Same with gas vs diesel, new vs used, motorhome vs fifth wheel, etc., etc., etc. If there was only one kind of RVer, they'd build one kind of RV. We all have different needs and priorities. Professing this length or that fuel or this type of RV is superior to all others is pointless and counterproductive.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #242

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Dear friends in my oppinion there should be freedom of choice when it determins the size of the RV. Some owners for personal reasons choose to have smaller motorhomes either because they are afraid to drive bigger ones or because they are falsely informed that anything over 31 feet will not be allowed in parks. This is something from the past these parks have now upgraded and many have full hookups. Newer better and bigger RV parks open everyday. The only thing that should limit you is you. I started small and now I am midsize and will gow bigger when I can.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #243

Quote:
Some owners for personal reasons choose to have smaller motorhomes either because they are afraid to drive bigger ones or because they are falsely informed that anything over 31 feet will not be allowed in parks.
You keep referring to these two reasons. You aren't wrong. There is a lot of misinformation out there that scares some buyers from longer motorhomes.

But there are many other reasons folks might get a shorter coach. Price is one. Not everyone can afford a DP or even a higher end gas coach. Some folks want small to fit more places. They aren't afraid they won't find camping spots, they just want to maximize opportunities. Some enjoy boondocking and shorter coaches are easier to maneuver on unlevel, winding dirt roads.

It's not all ignorance is all I'm trying to say. Some of us have done the research, weighed the pros and cons and chosen a shorter MH. We're not afraid of bigger, we just don't want bigger.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #244

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree and respect but am tired of reading post like if you are big you cant do this of if you want to do this you have to buy this size. The reason I RV is for freedom. With research and time you can find a great RV within your price. If you make the choice because you want is one thing but many out there are induced by these coments. FREEDOM OF CHOICE is the name of the game.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #245

Quote:
liking the 36 over the 38 is no problem my question was what could 2 feet do to parking. If you have an answer fine if you dont great. I am asking what is the difference? Maybe you can tell me the difference because I still did not understand.
To try and answer that question. I went from a 34' MH with a 208" wheelbase to a 38' with 248" wheelbase. I had no issues backing my previous MH into my drive. I accepted that the first couple times trying to back my new MH in would be frustrating as it was 4' longer. But even the 10th time I still had to make multiple attempts. It was then that I measured the road The back driveway at my house comes off of a county road that has an 18' width of asphalt. My new wheelbase is longer than the road is wide, add in my fences and a speed limit sign and it is not possible to back in without going into the neighbors yard on the opposite side of the street.

I know your original question was 36 to 38' which in models of my same year from Winnebago could mean a wheelbase of 228 to 248. Those 20" could make a bigger difference then what you realize.

Then you can have a discussion on overhang and tail swing that comes into play with my fence and the speed limit sign as well. I ended up moving my fence to give me some more room to back in but still have to go into the neighbors yard.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #246

Quote:
I agree and respect but am tired of reading post like if you are big you cant do this of if you want to do this you have to buy this size. The reason I RV is for freedom. With research and time you can find a great RV within your price. If you make the choice because you want is one thing but many out there are induced by these coments. FREEDOM OF CHOICE is the name of the game.
While I wholeheartedly agree with your point, there is also the counterpoint.....

That you have to have some big DP to travel extensively or in the mountains. That's hogwash too........ Not to mention, ok, I am, some folks don't realize how nice and comfortable smaller / gas coaches really can be.

We are not large people and are younger than most retirees, we don't travel with a circus ring of pets (none) and pet stuff or campsite / camper "decorations", we are very comfortable traveling for extended periods of time (3 months+ at a time, 5-6 months / yr.), will avg. 8,000 miles a year, and happily go any place in the country (including the Rockies) in our little gasser.

We still carry way too much "stuff" proving that open space requires items to fill it. We have a CCC, and a weight distribution that some DPs would love to have (ok, I have the optional larger chassis for our coach, but that's because I made an informed decision, thanks in part to this forum).

The folks that park in front of us at our storage place do the same type of travel in one of those sub 30' "mini" Class As, that looks like a compact car next to us.......

Yes, everyone has choices (thank goodness) and should take the time and effort to make an informed decision, but it's really not that hard (or as hard as some seem to make it).

Right now, I'm looking at a Prevost across from us. I'm sure it's nice, but for "my" $2M+, I'm not buying a fancy camper .

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
While I wholeheartedly agree with your point, there is also the counterpoint.....

That you have to have some big DP to travel extensively or in the mountains. That's hogwash too........ Not to mention, ok, I am, some folks don't realize how nice and comfortable smaller / gas coaches really can be.

We are not large people and are younger than most retirees, we don't travel with a circus ring of pets (none) and pet stuff or campsite / camper "decorations", we are very comfortable traveling for extended periods of time (3 months+ at a time, 5-6 months / yr.), will avg. 8,000 miles a year, and happily go any place in the country (including the Rockies) in our little gasser.

We still carry way too much "stuff" proving that open space requires items to fill it. We have a CCC, and a weight distribution that some DPs would love to have (ok, I have the optional larger chassis for our coach, but that's because I made an informed decision, thanks in part to this forum).

The folks that park in front of us at our storage place do the same type of travel in one of those sub 30' "mini" Class As, that looks like a compact car next to us.......

Yes, everyone has choices (thank goodness) and should take the time and effort to make an informed decision, but it's really not that hard (or as hard as some seem to make it).

Right now, I'm looking at a Prevost across from us. I'm sure it's nice, but for "my" $2M+, I'm not buying a fancy camper .

Regards
You sound like us...or who we will soon be...save for the fact that we're going to be full timing. Well be in a Newmar about the same size as your Tiffin. The coach is as nice, if not as large, as any house we've ever lived in. Much nicer than our current apartment. It's got most of the stuff we'll need and we can add the rest...and for much less than getting a bigger, more expensive coach.

We look at living in an RV as a means to an end. It's not about living in the most luxurious coach with all the amenities. It's about living simple and traveling where we want. It about freedom and part of that freedom is not spending a boat load of money on a big coach. We could afford a Ventana or maybe a Dutch Star but we don't want to? Double the payment (yes we're financing...thanks housing bubble) and more size, amenities and luxury for the sake of size, amenities and luxury.

No thanks!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #248

Newmar Owners Club
Clearly the best choice is a Ventana 3709 and everyone else is wrong!
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
Clearly the best choice is a Ventana 3709 and everyone else is wrong!
Thank goodness someone FINALLY killed this thread . . . last couple of pages were getting kinda silly

Now I just need to inform SWAMBO what model we are looking for

Y'all have a great 4th!!!

Tags
motorhome