Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #1

Anyone replaced fogged windows with laminated glass

My 2009 Discovery has several side windows that are fogged. Unfortunately, the shops which repair fogged windows are all in Florida and Arizona. The one window next to the driver's seat is especially dangerous as it turns white in bright light and makes it difficult to see the mirror.

Who has swapped their dual pane glass for laminate glass? I'm only thinking of doing the driver's side window and I'm torn between doing the fixed front pane or both panes (front fixed and rear sliding).

If you had it done, how does it look? My local glass shop says they can replace the fixed pane easily but they are worried the sliding pane may not ride in the window track correctly. What did you pay for the service? If you didn't use laminated glass, what did you do to fix the fogging?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had it done to my door window. So far no problem. The drivers side window got the same glass. The sliding window was a little harder to slide at first but OK now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

Will be following this as my 2007 Bounder diesel has most of the side glasses fogged.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Mr_D;5027843]I had it done to my door window. So far no problem. The drivers side window got the

I had mine done at Coach Glass in Coberg Oregon. Very classy outfit.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

These are called "Insulated Glass Units" and you can rebuild them yourself with a bit of elbow grease and some care.

I rebuilt my own driver's side front window, the fixed section next to the slider was the one that fogged the worst. The top section is also a bit foggy but I didn't really care about that one.

Once you have the glass out of the frame, you can separate them with a razor knife and then razor all the crap off the glass. Clean clean clean and clean some more!

The spacer is available on amazon, and mounts with the aluminum side OUT. It is self adhesive and has a dessicant built in. I sealed it in along the outside space with silicone, and left a small gap at the top of the glass.

With a welding bottle of 100% argon and the welding regulator and hoses, I pumped in argon to the space between the glass through the hole in the top - I used a straw to "reach in" to the glass so that the argon would "push" all the other air out. It is heavier than normal air. Once I was satisfied I had gotten enough air out, I sealed with a bit more silicone.

It's been perfect ever since, total cost was about $75.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:27 PM   #6

I'm not familiar with how your coach is built, or if you are living in it full time... if not, have you thought about removing the fogged windows, shipping the glass panels to the fixers, and then reinstalling them? And temporarily blocking the holes just to keep the bugs and stray cats out? It might be more cost effective than driving the coach to the fixers...

I know it can be done as about 8 years ago I was visiting some friends and noticed the bathroom and kitchen windows missing in their RV... (it was parked in the back yard of their house). The missing windows had been replaced with pieces of corrugated cardboard held in with painters tape. After asking I was told that two of the dual pane windows had fogged inside and they had removed the glass panels and sent them back to the company to be rebuilt.

And just a few months ago an acquaintance cracked a dual pane sliding window in his RV and he temporarily replaced it with a cut-to-size piece of masonite while the window company made him a new window and shipped it.

Mike
Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #7

I had my front side windows done at a local glass shop. They did a very good job. I do notice a little more wind noise, could be my imagination.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Insulated glass repair vs. laminate

My local 'Glass One' franchise, Quincy, Il., made templates of my windows and had new ones made in Kansas City, Mo. Check with a 'Glass One' franchise. 5 year warranty on new windows.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

Glass change

Yes, I changed the glass in front of that slider. It was tinted and caused a glare when backing into a garage. The new pieces were laminated and fit in nicely.

Got rid of the glare and no real difference in heat transfer.
FC901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

Replaced double panes on drivers side and one on the passengers side on our 04 Country Coach. Don't have the receipt with me but it wasn't to bad . I Don't see where we would loose much insulation. Heck the Windshield is laminate
Have one other window in the rear of the coach but will try to get that one repaired as they have a silver glass that you cannot get anymore. No rush as it does not interfere with driving

greg

greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC901 View Post
Yes, I changed the glass in front of that slider. It was tinted and caused a glare when backing into a garage. The new pieces were laminated and fit in nicely.

Got rid of the glare and no real difference in heat transfer.
Why didn't you replace the sliding window also? Mine has a screen so it might not make a huge difference, but I think I'd like to replace the fixed and sliding panes of the window.

The glass shop thinks the slider may not work as the laminated glass is not quite as thick as the dual pane and it won't fit in the track properly. I don't know if they are right or wrong.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I had ours repaired at RV Glass Solutions. They will install the lifetime guaranteed laminated glass, or rebuild your original double pane glass. They have locations in OR, AZ, IN, and FL.
https://www.rvglassexperts.com/contact_us.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #13

Had 12 repaired at Suncoast Designs in My 2019. $250 each except driver's window which was $350. Lifetime warranty. Service was great and on time. Very pleased so far.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #14

Glass change

Dgreen1069
The slider does not interfere with looking into the mirror and seal doesn't need repair. (yet)

The laminated glass is a bit thinner and probably won't work well as slider.
FC901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, wind, window