Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Anyone sold an older motorhome lately?

Hello -

I've read that demand is up lately and was wondering if anyone has sold a motorhome since COVID-19 hit. Is it easier or more difficult these days?

We have a 17 year old Newmar DSDP. At 42' long, it's just too large for us. I'm having a hard time finding a dealer that will do consignment or accept a trade-in for anything older than 15 years. I don't have any smaller dealers that specialize in older motorhomes without traveling quite a distance.

To complicate things, we store the rig in an enclosed storage unit. Very tight to get in and out. It won't be easy to conduct a lot of test drives. On the plus side, the storage unit does have 50A power to run everything and I have space to open the slides.

I've looked into Pop RVs but it seems I still have to do all of the work showing it and dealing with any prospects.

I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
The market for private party quality built pre emission coaches is very strong.
Yours is definitely in demand. Pull it out of storage, clean it up well and price it right. Have all service records at the ready. Have it serviced if overdue. It should sell in short order.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
The market for private party quality built pre emission coaches is very strong.
Yours is definitely in demand. Pull it out of storage, clean it up well and price it right. Have all service records at the ready. Have it serviced if overdue. It should sell in short order.
Agree^^.

Additionally, having it inside where the slides can be opened and full power is available is a major plus. Pulling it out for a test drive need not be done for every potential buyer, but as a final contingency to be met for the serious person who also likely want a third-party inspection. Something that can be discussed with those who come to look.

Just my opinion from some on-line discussions. Stay away from POP. Not that they are scammers, but that the service is marginal and they command a significant percentage of sale price. As you mention, you wind up doing all the "hard work" anyway so you're basically paying for advertising. In today's market and with sites like RV Trader, you can do just as well by being patient and advertising a fair price.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't want to do the sales work, take it to a reputable consignment dealer, e.g. PPL Motorhomes. I'd be leery of a regular dealer who does a few consignments as a sideline - they nearly always try to push their own stock rather than the consignments. Both the sale person and the dealer make more money on their own stuff than on yours.

A nicely kept Dutchstar 42 ought to be in high demand, so price it right and it should sell quickly. I would not anticipate a lot of test drives. Just one, in fact. You don't need to do a test drive until the buyer gets truly serious.

Financing a motorhome that old is problematic, so you only need to deal with folks who can pay cash or have their own finance source, other than an RV loan.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BuyRVSellRV.com is a company that i have dealt with. They buy and sell RV. I dont know where you live, but, I know they buy RV's all over the country and drive them back to their lot in Oronoco MN.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #6

Lots of great advice. Thank you all.

I will double check that I don't have any dedicated consignment dealers in the area. That was a good tip. The regular chain dealers are the folks that said they won't take anything over 15 years.

Great advice on test driving. I actually never test drove any coaches until I found the one that I was going to buy.

I will also check out BuyRVSellRV.com. I imagine they offer wholesale value but it's good to have options.
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #7

Might also list your RV on rvonline.com, lots of sold signs, my brother just bought a class a and he said every time he called on coaches like yours they had just sold so this is a sellers market. Good luck
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
BuyRVSellRV.com is a company that i have dealt with. They buy and sell RV. I don't know where you live, but, I know they buy RV's all over the country and drive them back to their lot in Oronoco MN.
BuyRV does buy used motorhomes but they will low ball you, they need to make money on the sale also. I have a brother who listed his 10 year old 25 foot class C on Craigslist. Received over a dozen inquiries from as far as three states away. Sold it in 3 days for $9000.00 over book.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #9

I just bought a 25 year old DP on Craigslist in Oct. I was the first to look and bought it. Just saying, someone is out there looking everyday for the right one. I did for almost 2 years (CL and FB marketplace) and watched a lot of them get posted and sold quick if priced right.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our friends listed and sold their 2007 HR Neptune a couple months ago. They listed it on a couple of sites and had three buyers waiting to buy withn a few days.

Many of the dealers don't want anything over 10 years old as it's more difficult for them to offer/get financing on those units.

Your coach should sell fast, via private party, because it will be in a price range where many can easily get an equity loan or come up with cash.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #11

I bought my 2004 Dolphin about 18 months ago and spent a considerable amount of time shopping the ads before I found mine. I was checking prices on the same web sites recently and prices seem to be up considerably from what they were when I bought mine. Seems like a good time to sell if that's what you want to do. There are plenty of people like me who will buy an older rig because they don't want to spend $100k.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #12

I sold my 14 year old gasser in July. Listed it on a few sites, and had lots of traffic. Plenty of people will try to loball, but you can tell a genuine offer. Listed it the end of January, and they picked it middle of July. Had 4 genuine people interested. Lots of pictures will really help, and as others suggested having a place where you can show it with the slides out and connected is a big plus.

Good Luck!!!
Old 11-29-2020, 02:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We just sold our 2004 Gulfstream Atrium SE in Oct.

We thought we would spiff it up and get it ready to sell for the spring. Advertised it anyway and boom!! We had calls and messages from all over from people wanting to buy it. I took lots of pictures and put allot of info in the add and had it sold in 3 days. The buyers sent us a wire transfer for $20,000.00 down, non refundable.

Then they wired the remainder of the funds and flew out a couple days later, got a quick rundown of how things worked and off they went home with it, happy as could be.

Had it for 7 years and got $10,000.00 more for it than what we paid. Kind of wish I would have asked more for it. lol

You sure can't complain about that!!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:44 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I would think you coach, being a higher end coach, would be in high demand if it looks good. Prices for used RV's are up and in they are in demand.

If you are on Facebook look at advertising it on Market Place. Lots of coaches listed, you can see what comparable coaches are listed at.

Been a while but I sold a 12 year old coach, I listed it on Craigslist>> What a mistake, had more calls from people wanting to help me list then people interested in the RV. I ended up parking it on the side of a major road (+30K cars a day) and had people call and look. Ultimately sold it the father of the mechanic I use, he still has it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome