Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Anyone switch to Bridgestone Tires on 40 plus foot motorhome?

My coach has vibrated since the day i picked it up with my factory Michelin’s. I’ve had them re balanced at a Michelin truck tire dealer AND I’ve installed a set of Balance Master’s rings on all 3 axles.

I was in the shop getting a separate issue serviced and got to talking to a tech. He said the best tires for ride and drive on these coaches is Bridgestone. Said grade 1’s rarely need balancing.

Wanting to hear from anyone running them.

I’m positive i have a bad factory tire in the mix but i HATE chasing down vibrations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I switched from Michelins to Toyo for 6 years, then switched to Bridgestone for 8 years, and now am back to Toyo.

I liked the Bridgestone set the best but Toyo runs just fine and was a little bit less expensive. We've put 80,000 miles on our used rig over the above sets of tires.

I only balance the steer tires.

Unfortunately, our rig is only 38 feet long so may not answer your questions.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ran Bridgestones. Replaced 7/2010 Bridgestone R250F 295/75-22.5. They ran great never a problem. ~ 49K miles. Replaced this summer with Toyos due to a good deal and miles. Toyos running fine.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It may not be a bad tire but could be a radial run out issue. Look at the "ring" on the tires and make sure they are concentric with the edge of the wheel. If not, un-mount and re-mount the tire until it seats on the bead correctly. Also look for the dot on the sidewall of the tire. This should be the light spot of the tire. Normally it gets mounted next to the valve stem since this is the heavy spot on the wheel.

Is your vibration in your steering wheel or in your seat? Steering wheel vibration is typically a front tire issue while seat vibrations are usually from the rear axle. If it's from the rear, try "clocking" the dual tire/wheel set up one side at a time. If the pair of duals happen to get mounted with both heavy spots together then they will hop or bounce like a pogo stick. Put a mark on both tires at 12:00 o'clock. Then rotate one tire/wheel to where the mark is at 6:00 o'clock or 180 degrees from the other wheels mark. Sometimes this will cure a bouncing pair of tires.

I have sold as many as 3000 commercial trucks in a year over a 25 year career. I've dealt with all kinds of tire "balance" issues. Most of the time it isn't a balance issue at all. Have the radial run out checked on a tire if you have it repeatedly balanced and it doesn't get any better. If the radial run out is more than about .030+/- then the tire is out of round or not seated squarely on the bead.

One last thing..........it's really hard to get any of these issues fixed under warranty. The local tire store didn't mount the tires (on a new vehicle) so they won't warranty it. The tire manufacturer only warranties the tire to be free from defects. Most of the tire stores I had to deal with across the country didn't understand what I was telling them to do to try to fix the issue. I learned by talking with Goodyear and Michelin Engineers and by going to the truck plant where the tires and wheels were being mounted and inspecting their procedures. Most tire store mechanics have never gotten that kind of training.

Hope this helps!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
It may not be a bad tire but could be a radial run out issue. Look at the "ring" on the tires and make sure they are concentric with the edge of the wheel. If not, un-mount and re-mount the tire until it seats on the bead correctly. Also look for the dot on the sidewall of the tire. This should be the light spot of the tire. Normally it gets mounted next to the valve stem since this is the heavy spot on the wheel.

Is your vibration in your steering wheel or in your seat? Steering wheel vibration is typically a front tire issue while seat vibrations are usually from the rear axle. If it's from the rear, try "clocking" the dual tire/wheel set up one side at a time. If the pair of duals happen to get mounted with both heavy spots together then they will hop or bounce like a pogo stick. Put a mark on both tires at 12:00 o'clock. Then rotate one tire/wheel to where the mark is at 6:00 o'clock or 180 degrees from the other wheels mark. Sometimes this will cure a bouncing pair of tires.

I have sold as many as 3000 commercial trucks in a year over a 25 year career. I've dealt with all kinds of tire "balance" issues. Most of the time it isn't a balance issue at all. Have the radial run out checked on a tire if you have it repeatedly balanced and it doesn't get any better. If the radial run out is more than about .030+/- then the tire is out of round or not seated squarely on the bead.

One last thing..........it's really hard to get any of these issues fixed under warranty. The local tire store didn't mount the tires (on a new vehicle) so they won't warranty it. The tire manufacturer only warranties the tire to be free from defects. Most of the tire stores I had to deal with across the country didn't understand what I was telling them to do to try to fix the issue. I learned by talking with Goodyear and Michelin Engineers and by going to the truck plant where the tires and wheels were being mounted and inspecting their procedures. Most tire store mechanics have never gotten that kind of training.

Hope this helps!

Great info. I am more that willing to pay for a resolution.

Steering wheel has zero vibration. I feel it in my seat and the front end hopping. It’s the worst between 50-65. It gets better at 70-75 but is simply a higher frequency vibration that is less noticeable.

You stated dealing with tire shops across the country. Is there anywhere in the Kansas City area you could recommend that would take the time to find the issue and address it properly?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm on my second set of Bridgestones and am happy with both sets. There are cheaper tires out there but I like the fact that they are made in the USA.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Great info. I am more that willing to pay for a resolution.

Steering wheel has zero vibration. I feel it in my seat and the front end hopping. It’s the worst between 50-65. It gets better at 70-75 but is simply a higher frequency vibration that is less noticeable.

You stated dealing with tire shops across the country. Is there anywhere in the Kansas City area you could recommend that would take the time to find the issue and address it properly?

Thanks!!!
Your issue sounds like a radial run out problem. I had International and Ford Wreckers and Rollbacks that would shake the tires so bad the mirrors were useless!!! Some even broke the mirrors. The truck would drive pretty good until about 70 MPH where it would shake you to death. Then the vibration would go away at about 80 MPH. If the vibrations come in at a certain speed and then go away at a higher speed then it definitely a radial run out problem. You can balance that tire till you're blue in the face and it won't get any better. If the tire is mounted on the bead evenly all the way around then your tire is out of round OR your wheel is out of round!! The tires always get blamed but the wheels are just as much of a problem. You may have to take the tire off the wheel and use a radial run out gauge on the wheel to see which one it is. But your problem is in the rear since you feel it in your seat so I'd try "clocking" the duals one side at a time to see if they get better.

Just so you'll know, most of my issues were with 19.5" tires and wheels. It seemed like we RARELY had any trouble with the 22.5" tires and wheels on the class 7 and 8 trucks. But it happens.

Sorry I don't know a particular tire store in Kansas City. I would DEFINITLY go to a Commercial Tire Center and not just a regular car tire store to seek help.

One last thing you can do is to shave some rubber off the tire at the high spot and make it round. This is usually done with the tire ON the vehicle. It is spun up to an extremely high speed with a roller and then a shaver would be slowly slid up against the tire and it would level the surface. You would lose a few thousandths of rubber but triple or quadruple the life of the tire.

Hope this helps!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

Switched to Bridgestones on the steer axle in the summer of 2017 when we nailed someone's driveshaft that fell out from under their truck in Oklahoma. Previously we had Goodyears on the front. I can't really tell much difference from the driver's seat as far as handling... Both are probably good tires. I did spend a little more money to have the Bridgestones dismounted, clocked, and spin balanced once we got home so that the out of round of the rim was compensated for as much as possible with the out of round of the tire. It made quite a difference with vibration. The previous Goodyears were bought new on the road and balanced with beads... and they were never right from the get go... But the tire shop did not spend any time trying to clock them, and I didn't know any better at the time. We have the old 19.5 steel 6-bolt rims, and they are not all that true. It caused some lopsided wear issues with the old good years in all 6 locations. I put new tires on the back last summer and went with a much lower cost tire - cooper. The township trucks around here have run them for years, and they've had good luck... knock on wood. After having them clocked properly, the ride is much smoother.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Switched to Bridgestones on the steer axle in the summer of 2017 when we nailed someone's driveshaft that fell out from under their truck in Oklahoma. Previously we had Goodyears on the front. I can't really tell much difference from the driver's seat as far as handling... Both are probably good tires. I did spend a little more money to have the Bridgestones dismounted, clocked, and spin balanced once we got home so that the out of round of the rim was compensated for as much as possible with the out of round of the tire. It made quite a difference with vibration. The previous Goodyears were bought new on the road and balanced with beads... and they were never right from the get go... But the tire shop did not spend any time trying to clock them, and I didn't know any better at the time. We have the old 19.5 steel 6-bolt rims, and they are not all that true. It caused some lopsided wear issues with the old good years in all 6 locations. I put new tires on the back last summer and went with a much lower cost tire - cooper. The township trucks around here have run them for years, and they've had good luck... knock on wood. After having them clocked properly, the ride is much smoother.

-cheers
My motorhome came with Cooper/Roadmaster RM170 tires, and I will be replacing with the same ($180/tire for the 19.5"). This year the tires are too old and are getting replaced. I have had no issues with vibrations, air loss, the motorhome not tracking straight, and no sidewall cracking (it is outside and uncovered tires).
BeachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
Your issue sounds like a radial run out problem. I had International and Ford Wreckers and Rollbacks that would shake the tires so bad the mirrors were useless!!! Some even broke the mirrors. The truck would drive pretty good until about 70 MPH where it would shake you to death. Then the vibration would go away at about 80 MPH. If the vibrations come in at a certain speed and then go away at a higher speed then it definitely a radial run out problem. You can balance that tire till you're blue in the face and it won't get any better. If the tire is mounted on the bead evenly all the way around then your tire is out of round OR your wheel is out of round!! The tires always get blamed but the wheels are just as much of a problem. You may have to take the tire off the wheel and use a radial run out gauge on the wheel to see which one it is. But your problem is in the rear since you feel it in your seat so I'd try "clocking" the duals one side at a time to see if they get better.

Just so you'll know, most of my issues were with 19.5" tires and wheels. It seemed like we RARELY had any trouble with the 22.5" tires and wheels on the class 7 and 8 trucks. But it happens.

Sorry I don't know a particular tire store in Kansas City. I would DEFINITLY go to a Commercial Tire Center and not just a regular car tire store to seek help.

One last thing you can do is to shave some rubber off the tire at the high spot and make it round. This is usually done with the tire ON the vehicle. It is spun up to an extremely high speed with a roller and then a shaver would be slowly slid up against the tire and it would level the surface. You would lose a few thousandths of rubber but triple or quadruple the life of the tire.

Hope this helps!

So i got it out of storage and took it to Pomp’s truck service in Kansas City. They checked all tire run outs and balancing.

They said all tires ran out fine. A few of them didn’t even require weight to get balanced.

The vibration was coming from my front right tire. It was calling for 17 ounces. They broke it down and spun it 180 degrees on the wheel and remounted. It then called for 10 ounces. I only had a chance to drive it the short distance back to storage but the vibration is at least better if not gone. I’m happy we just drilled it down to being a bad tire and not a chassis issue we would have to chase. Worst case scenario i buy a new tire and call it a day.

The most any other tire called for was 4 ounces. Pretty happy with the guys at Pomp’s. They took the time to check every thing and seemed like they actually cared about finding the problem.

I’m going to find a day this month to put some miles on the newly balanced tire to see if the vibration is gone. You being a tire expert does that front right tire seem like i should go ahead and replace it? They said that 10 ounces was still within acceptable spec.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #11

I just bought 6 new Firestones for my rv, they are made by Bridgestone and they are smooth and quiet..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, switch, tires