RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

Anyone Use a "Cockpit Curtain" for Heat/Cool Comfort?

Cockpit of the coach gets pretty warm in the summer, chilly in the winter. So much so we often run the RV air or heat, which means we run the generator too. Wondering if, for travel, a curtain across the back of the cockpit area is enough to maintain comfort just using the chassis heat/air.
?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We did on our 2009 Monaco Diplomat and it worked well. Pretty easy to rig. The only complaint was that DW had to 'wrestle' with it for her bathroom trips while underway.

Our current coach (Entegra Anthem) seems to be better insulated and the dash heat/air conditioning is sufficient to keep us comfortable while driving.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #3

We have used a curtain on all three of our coaches. We use an expandable shower curtain rod between the slides with heavy floor length window curtains and Velcro to keep the curtains closed while traveling.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

I have blackout drapes behind the driver/passenger. Installed a heavy-duty dowel rod to hang the curtains. They hang all the way to the floor. Helps keep the dash heat/A/C air in the front.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
When we purchased our rig the previous owner had installed the cockpit curtain and it worked well but one of the perks of a motor home is so the wife can make potty calls in comfort, me too when i make a pit stop. So I just removed the things. they were in the way when pulling the slide in etc. Now just use what ever to keep comfortable and no problems traveling in comfort.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a floor length blackout curtain on a removable telescoping rod in our motorhome. We use it only for heat retention in the cab area on our frequent winter holiday trips. Haven’t used it for cooling, only installed for winter trips, easy installation, stores behind couch.

Thought my wife was only one to make frequent potty trips while in travel mode.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #7

We used one for years. Leaving Canada in January you really appreciate keeping the heat around you and found we didn't need anything more than dash heat at -30C. It would probably work well for air as well but we don't bother as the curtains are stored away by then, and we are enjoying the heat. I might add that our dash air was quite good in the class A. Now moved on to class C but it would be even easier.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #8

I haven't found the need to rig up any curtains. We don't travel that often in very cold temps and when we do, if the dash heat doesn't do the trick, I just turn on the propane furnace. In the summer heat, I run the generator and usually, one AC unit will keep the motorhome comfortable.

But, if desired, I'm sure a curtain would help.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #9

We sure do. Easy peasy with our Forza, which has the overhead bunk over the driver/passenger seats. We just tuck a large bedspread under the mattress and the rest of it hangs down to the floor. The chassis A/C and heat easily keeps the cab comfortable.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone Use a "Cockpit Curtain" for Heat/Cool Comfort?

When you travel in very cold weather using only dash heat and a curtain, the rest of the coach and contents gets cold soaked, which you must reheat upon arrival, and you run the risk of freezing your water bay or associated piping.
In quite hot weather, the opposite generally holds true. The rear 80% of the coach- and contents- must now be cooled down- again. Of course, neither of these scenarios addresses the carriage and comfort of pets.
Our solution is simply to run the generator and apply heat or cooling as needed. The added cost is marginal. I get 7.4mpg at 65mph, which means I burn 8.8 gph. My gen burns on avg 0.55-0.6gph, call it .6. So my total consumption goes from 8.8 to 9.4 gph. My fuel use increases 6% with no inconvenience, no recovery time, no risk of freezing, and no worry about the cat. For less than $1.20/hr. Good deal.
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #11

I hung a cheap shower curtain behind the driver seats in my Coachman Mirada. I think that it helps a lot when the temperature is over 100 F.
Guzzimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a 4x8 piece of reflectix, and a magneshade in the summer.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #13

Some class C’s fo this. Though about it with our revolution but we tend to avoid travelling in high heat. Seems like a good idea. Let us know how it works out.

Cheers.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
When you travel in very cold weather using only dash heat and a curtain, the rest of the coach and contents gets cold soaked, which you must reheat upon arrival, and you run the risk of freezing your water bay or associated piping.
In quite hot weather, the opposite generally holds true. The rear 80% of the coach- and contents- must now be cooled down- again. Of course, neither of these scenarios addresses the carriage and comfort of pets.
Our solution is simply to run the generator and apply heat or cooling as needed. The added cost is marginal. I get 7.4mpg at 65mph, which means I burn 8.8 gph. My gen burns on avg 0.55-0.6gph, call it .6. So my total consumption goes from 8.8 to 9.4 gph. My fuel use increases 6% with no inconvenience, no recovery time, no risk of freezing, and no worry about the cat. For less than $1.20/hr. Good deal.
Very well said....lol. I was doing the math in my head as well, and wondered why all of the fuss. Then I saw your post and got a chuckle. I get that it is more efficient, but overall, the cost is marginal. Then I am reminded that my friend laughs at me for locking everything up at night when hooked up next to people driving $400,000 coaches. You can take me out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of me....
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat