Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #57

Walmart DEF

I have used Walmart DEF for the past year with no issues or problems. The diesel mechanic at Hanner Chevrolet saw its just as good as anyone elseís.
Davidsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #58

I'm a newbie - what does DEF stand for ?
Sitinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitinin View Post
I'm a newbie - what does DEF stand for ?
Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Newer diesel engines require it for emission control. It is a uric acid mixture sprayed into the exhaust.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
Two things I hear constantly on this forum that I don't agree with and mind you I'm not trying to start an argument.
When someone says
"I've been doing it this way for so long and haven't had a problem yet." How does this person know that the problem may be just around the corner? This does not give me justification that its OK then.
OR
"As a dealer service advisor told me about 3 months ago.... (sotto voce) ..... "DEF is DEF. Get it at WallyWorld. Ours it too expensive!"

What makes a service adviser an expert on DEF?

I agree Walmart DEF is probably just fine, But I go back to my original question.
If it is ISO why do they choose not to label it as such? Seems like it would help sales.

Could be they would rather sell the more expensive Blue DEF? They do offer both.
by law all products labeled as def must meet ISO 22241-1 standards so

--------------
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #61

Just learned that urea isn’t the same as uric acid: Difference Between Urea and Uric Acid | Difference Between | Urea vs Uric Acid

Interesting factual.

Not sure which they use making DEF.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Just learned that urea isnít the same as uric acid: Difference Between Urea and Uric Acid | Difference Between | Urea vs Uric Acid

Interesting factual.

Not sure which they use making DEF.
DEF is 32.5% Urea, common liquid fertilizer from ag plants and RO permeate/deionized water
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #63

DEF

Gotta get rid of the Egr & the Dpf. Let that thing breath...
Mike1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerray45 View Post
Good luck making your own DEF. There is a big difference between fertilizer urea and high grade environmental grade urea and it's DI water not RO water.
Actually RO permeate that is ran through a mixed bed polisher
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #65

My DP uses a gallon of DEF every 420 miles. My 13 gallon tank will get me over 5,000 miles. At 3500-4000 miles, I start looking for a pump. They're easy to find and easy to use. Why bother with the jugs from Wally or any other brand??
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #66

I've used the Wal-Mart brand many times. No problems with it what so ever.
Rick Stills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #67

I have used Walmart and had no issues! I do keep two containers on my coach, just in case. Enjoy!
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
My DP uses a gallon of DEF every 420 miles. My 13 gallon tank will get me over 5,000 miles. At 3500-4000 miles, I start looking for a pump. They're easy to find and easy to use. Why bother with the jugs from Wally or any other brand??
I agree with you. However, in my situation for example we do many short trips to mountains and deserts with no big fuel stops on the way. Sometimes we are returning home late at night. I don't want to stop and find a station with DEF (even if there were one on those nights) so I often put a jug in or two at home just to keep it topped off. When on the road for a long trip, I do pump DEF...cheap and easy.. As you said, I only need to find DEF every 3000 miles or more.
I have been using DEF since 2012 or 2013 and I have never run out or never had a problem finding it. There is a fairly substantial 1500 mile cushion or more before you need to add DEF when it is getting low. Clearly not an issue. Also, DEF seems to be a good thing and the engine runs more efficiently with better MPG and less pollution. I have no problem with DEF.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Also carrying a container home and back to Walmart would just be too much work for a thief;

My MIL was a greeter at Wal-Mart and as part of a greeter's duties, they have to check certain customers on their way out to be sure they have receipts, etc. You would not believe the stories of what a thief will do.

My favorite was a woman with a cart full of stuff. When my MIL checked her receipt, everything on the receipt was the same item and 20 cents each. This thief took the time to take the cart of stuff she wanted to some trinket items shelf, peeled off all the bar code price labels on the cheap trinkets and stuck them on each of the items in her cart. That way when she went to a self-checkout, it appeared to anyone looking she was scanning everything, but actually it was all ringing up at 20 cents each. Some criminals will stop at nothing to steal.

BTW...the woman's actions were all on store video, so it was her that stood there peeling labels off cheap trinkets and sticking them on the things she wanted. If my MIL had not stopped her and checked, store security was watching and ready to pounce anyway.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote